2023 MLB Rule Changes

1,643 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by alvtimes
bodaciousbood14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
15-second pitch clock with bases empty

20-second pitch clock with runners on

Larger bases

Two fielders on either side of 2B with both feet in the dirt. Effectively eliminating the shift.
bodaciousbood14
AG
https://www.instagram.com/p/CiSwSGKrqJi/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Quad Dog
AG
Anybody seen details on what bigger bases means specifically? A first base that extends out into foul territory? Is first and second now closer and therefore stealing is now easier?
Forum Troll
AG
Big fan of the clock. Games getting too long. If we can actually get average length to 2.5 hours that'd be huge.

Need something to help with college football games lasting forever.

Other rule changes a big meh.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Bases are bigger going closer to each other. They're now 18"x18". Edges of the bag will still be on the foul lines.
Quad Dog
AG
ScapeGOAT said:

Bases are bigger going closer to each other. They're now 18"x18". Edges of the bag will still be on the foul lines.
Thanks. So they made stealing a little easier. Other than that I don't see any change to the game.
Texas A&M
What is the rationale for the larger bases?

The ban on the shift if a good thing IMO.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Reduce the risk of collisions at the bases, especially first
Jarrin' Jay
AG
They also limited stepping off the rubber and pickoff attempts, which I think is bad. Basically that is going to give a runner at 1B a free stolen base once he knows the pitcher cannot throw to first in a pickoff attempt, though I suppose they could still do a pitchout and have the catcher try to throw out the runner.

One other thing I am completely against is the addition of a mount visit in the 9th inning if all 5 have been used. Why qualify it, just say there are 6 mount visits allowed, which is stupid for a 9 inning game, way too many.

They need to completely eliminate mound visits from the dugout altogether. These are professional ball players. There is enough time and ample communication that we don't need mound visits from the dugout. I'd limit mound visits by the catcher and players to 3 total during the game, and a dugout mound visit only to check on an injury or change pitchers.

I don't care how important the situation is, we don't need a bench or pitching coach to come out to the mound to discuss everything. That would be like a football HC joining the huddle 5 or 6 times a game.
amercer
AG
Eliminating the shift is dumb. Let the players line up where they want. This isn't football. I don't need a bunch of offsides penalties every game.

The solutions to three true outcome baseball isn't handcuffing the defense, it's making ballparks bigger. Anything short of that isn't changing hitters approach.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

That would be like a football HC joining the huddle 5 or 6 times a game.

Or like a football HC calling timeout six times a game. Oh wait…
vette
AG
I hate the shift rule change
EKG1996
AG
What is the reason for not allowing the shift?
Quad Dog
AG
Encourage offense
Quad Dog
AG
With the new rule that all infielders have to be on the dirt, get ready for stadium s to start having dirt creep into the outfield.
bodaciousbood14
AG
Quad Dog said:

With the new rule that all infielders have to be on the dirt, get ready for stadium s to start having dirt creep into the outfield.

My initial thought would be teams will start rotating the left or right fielder down and move the remaining two outfielders over. Little riskier but not overtly so
yawny06
AG
Quote:

They also limited stepping off the rubber and pickoff attempts, which I think is bad. Basically that is going to give a runner at 1B a free stolen base once he knows the pitcher cannot throw to first in a pickoff attempt, though I suppose they could still do a pitchout and have the catcher try to throw out the runner.

Not a huge fan of this rule, but the pitcher can still attempt to pick off a third time, they just have to get the runner out. So, the runner can't exactly get a large enough lead to get caught in no man's land.
An L of an Ag
AG
Don't like any of these. And if you really want to improve the game - electronically monitored strike zone!
Reno Hightower
^ Robo-Umps, YES!
htxag09
AG
I'm a fan of the pitch clock. Going to be a big learning curve/adjustment but needed, imo. It's extreme, but we're getting on the other end of the extreme with time batters/pitchers take. If you watched A&M, some of our hitters, like Rock were brutal to watch.

Pick off rules are crap.

Torn on the shift. End the end, you're encouraging and rewarding ****ty hitters like Gallo. You're also in a way punishing ground ball pitchers, swing and miss pitchers will command even more of a premium, imo. And not sure either of those are necessarily good for baseball
Ornithopter
AG
Pickoff rules will make high average hitters with any sort of speed a super valuable player. A walk or single will be a double almost by default.
alvtimes
ScapeGOAT said:

Reduce the risk of collisions at the bases, especially first

make a safety base.... whole problem eliminated
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.