Baltimore Orioles future is BRIGHT!

4,169 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by OriolePete
OriolePete
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know there's some O's fans here. I gotta talk to about this team to someone. Between the Aggies and Orioles my next few years of sports watching should be sweet.

How does it all look over the next couple of seasons? So we find a spot for all these guys about to come up or does a chip or 2 get traded? Just messing around but these lineups look fun for the next couple of seasons. Obviously Holliday won't be up anytime soon but figured I'd throw him in. I love Mateo. I hope we keep him around at least another season. I feel he's finally figuring it all out. Didn't even list Kjerstand yet either. Or the pitchers...

2023/24?
1. Cedric Mullins CF / Hudson Haskin
2. Gunner Henderson 3B (#2 Prospect)
3. Adley Rutschman C
4. Ryan Mountcastle 1B
5. Kyle Stowers DH
6. Austin Hays LF / Ryan McKenna
7. Colton Cowser RF (Top 100 prospect)
8. Terrin Vavra 2B / Jordan Westburg (Top 100 prospect)
9. Jorge Mateo SS / Jackson Holliday (Top 100 prospect)
OriolePete
Oh and for those wondering about my username I lost a bet with an Astros guy on texags in a series vs the Orioles years ago so there you go.
astros4545
AG
Great opportunity to make the playoffs and exit to the Astros yearly
Satellite of Love
You can have Mancini back. The Astros aren't using him in a meaningful way.
OriolePete
astros4545 said:

Great opportunity to make the playoffs and exit to the Astros yearly

I think they could have some memorable playoff matchups the next 5-7 years. That's if we can get out of the East each season. Y'all have it so easy lol.
Carlo4
AG
Left off Odor. List isn't complete
The Porkchop Express
AG
Despite appearing to be 11 years old, Holliday is raking in rookie ball, hitting .400
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
OriolePete
The Porkchop Express said:

Despite appearing to be 11 years old, Holliday is raking in rookie ball, hitting .400

If he put on makeup he might pass for 12.
OriolePete
No. More. Odor. Please.

I might still be talking to myself but I don't care. Westburg seems a bit more ready to add something offensively over Gunnar. By that I mean Westburg has hit better and walked more and struck out less than Gunnar over the last 10-14 games. I'm sure I'm all by myself in that thinking but I think the only thing that keeps Gunnar down right now is he might strike out just as much as Odor.

I almost wish we weren't in the hunt right now because it's obvious we aren't really ready. Especially with our pitching that I just can't imagine can keep up this unbelievable run of over performing and pretty much all of our good bats way down this season. I mean we don't have a guy even sniffing .275, not to mention .300.

Hyde is really in a tough position. We won't put Stowers or Vavra out there based on potentially bad matchups and if we were sitting at 25 games back, we would roll them out there anyway and let them learn. We are half in and half out right now between committing to this season and committing to next, and it's hurting us either way until we go all in one way or the other. Just don't mess up these prospects.
tcow715
AG
AstroPete said:

No. More. Odor. Please.

I might still be talking to myself but I don't care. Westburg seems a bit more ready to add something offensively over Gunnar. By that I mean Westburg has hit better and walked more and struck out less than Gunnar over the last 10-14 games. I'm sure I'm all by myself in that thinking but I think the only thing that keeps Gunnar down right now is he might strike out just as much as Odor.

I almost wish we weren't in the hunt right now because it's obvious we aren't really ready. Especially with our pitching that I just can't imagine can keep up this unbelievable run of over performing and pretty much all of our good bats way down this season. I mean we don't have a guy even sniffing .275, not to mention .300.

Hyde is really in a tough position. We won't put Stowers or Vavra out there based on potentially bad matchups and if we were sitting at 25 games back, we would roll them out there anyway and let them learn. We are half in and half out right now between committing to this season and committing to next, and it's hurting us either way until we go all in one way or the other. Just don't mess up these prospects.
I don't totally disagree regarding Westburg, but Henderson has a much higher chance of touching the big league roster this season. Gunnar has the higher ceiling and his strikeout rate is only 3% higher than Westburg's while having a higher AVG and a higher OBP. They are pretty much dead even in SLG. I think this team will look very very different in two years and maybe by the end of next year. You should see Westburg, Vavra, Henderson, Adley, and Stowers as regulars next year. All, who as they develop their first year, will only get better. You could also see Ortiz, Cowser, and maybe a couple others by the end of 2023 depending on who gets traded etc.. The prospects will be fine, but you will start to see a log jam here soon.
OriolePete
Cowser should be in triple A very soon too. I imagine if he continues at this rate he might even be in the conversation early next season.

This is all crazy. Too bad we weren't doing this the last 20 years
OriolePete
That was the most improbable homerun's I've ever seen in my life by Stowers.

Bottom of the 9th, down 3-4, 2 outs, down 0-2 to the Aussie closer and 3 year running all star, you're in your 6th or 7th major league game. You're 0 for your last 13 at bats and you've struck out 10 of those at bats lol. Hendricks hasn't given up an 0-2 homerun since 2018...oh ya and your team only has 3 hits the entire game and no runner gets past 1st base since the 1st inning...

Oh no big deal this seems like a good spot to hit my first career homerun.

Insane.
OriolePete
OriolePete
Some of the Astro fans are getting a little salty. I think we should let them win this game. I want to keep that trading pipeline open. Trades with the Rangers never go well. We can never sign a former Ranger ever again.
OriolePete
Let's get that SWEEEEP! Astros fans reminded me why I hate Houston. All mean to me and I didn't even mention the trash cans!
OriolePete
We turn like 5 double plays a game and we leave 1st open with 1 out? That's all on Hyde. Again. Can't lose to this crap team.
OriolePete
Absolutely no way we have any more magic left. Oh well. Series win.
OriolePete
That's 2 bad games in a row for Baker. Send him down, bring up Hall.
OriolePete
Stowers time?
OriolePete
Yikes. The Astros couldn't beat us. We had to beat ourselves. Terrible. The Mullins double play, the Mateo attempt to stretch to 3rd, putting Baker in any game, leaving 1st base open... pathetic after beating their ass for 2.75 games. This is why we aren't ready. But close. That was the worst team we've played all year.
OriolePete
Alright let's get the hell out of this swamp and get back on track.

Staff needs to hurry up and change my name. Eff the Astros now forever
OriolePete
That's not even effing close
OriolePete
Man must get Odor out of the lineup. They gotta call up Gunnar for this next series. Or hell just go bring up Norby. Anyone over Odor. We past him up weeks ago.

That's still a pretty good sweep. Yes, that was a sweep. Whoop that ass and they hate it so much. They'll have to get used to it.
tcow715
AG
AstroPete said:

Man must get Odor out of the lineup. They gotta call up Gunnar for this next series. Or hell just go bring up Norby. Anyone over Odor. We past him up weeks ago.

That's still a pretty good sweep. Yes, that was a sweep. Whoop that ass and they hate it so much. They'll have to get used to it.
I think you could see Gunnar sooner than you think. Norby is a great player but just not ready.
OriolePete
You're right. I was trying to emphasize I would take anyone in the minors hitting the ball well over Odor, even if it has to come from Bowie. LOL but him and Cowser are doing really well. Once Gunnar and Westburg get called up we will be able to easily reload the talent level at triple A. But trust the process as always.
LawHall88
AG
Been an Orioles fan since birth. Used to go to games at old Memorial Stadium back in the 70s. Brooks Robinson is my favorite player, I have a shrine of autographed memorabilia and baseball cards of his.

This year has been alot of fun, after so many years of wandering in the wilderness. The unfortunate realty is tanking is the best way to rebuild a franchise, but hopefully the worst of that is behind us now. It's amazing that we're even competitive given that Odor will have close to 500 plate appearances by season end. But the future is bright. If Grayson Rodriguez can stay healthy and be the pitcher some think he will be, we can be real salty in the next few years.
OriolePete
There we go.
tcow715
AG
Lots of movement today.

Cowser -> AAA
Ortiz -> AAA

Hernaiz -> AA

Fabian -> High A
Rodriguez -> High A (First Rehab Start)

I think we will see Gunnar move shortly.

OriolePete
Surprised Norby didn't move up to Norfolk as well.
OriolePete
Gunnar and DL Hall on their way. Probably too late for this season but Elias was probably correct on our odds. I'm just glad they get their struggles out of the way now so we come fresh out of the gate next season. Then, by the start of next season we will have signed whatever free agents we needed and then know who will or won't be coming up next. 2023 honestly could be a little chaotic. But 2024 will be GOLD.

We will still probably have 5-7 top 100 prospects in our farm system next season. The talent is mind boggling.
OriolePete
Jesus Aguilar signed. Had some good moments in Miami. Finally got a backup 1B. We needed 1 much sooner, but good to have just in case...
LawHall88
AG
OriolePete
I just hope we put Gunnar at 3rd and move Urias to 2nd to platoon with Odor (or start most) since Urias is RH and Odor is LH. I don't care what people say about Urias, his arm is really really weak. Too weak for 3rd with as many ground balls we give up to the left side.

Gunnar should get almost every single day at 3rd base. Just like Manny
OriolePete
MASN with the best way to put it. That song goes well for that moment. Hope he uses it.

toucan82
Get him a helmet that fits
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.