Little League World Series

6,101 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PhatMack19
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just watched the umps **** over Bend, Oregon in a walkoff to send Washington state to Williamsport in extra innings

These umps are terrible

sosolik
AG
That was beyond horrible!
astros4545
AG

Another game ending pitch right here from yesterday
78669AG
astros4545 said:

Another game ending pitch right here from yesterday

The cannons on that mil f
If you can't handle the stress, log off until August. If you can handle the stress, be supportive and donate to United. No more buildings and concrete. Gotta channel funds to the collective for now.
astros4545
AG
Umps actually got an interference call on a routine double play called correctly

Throw from SS to first hit the baserunner who wasn't sliding
aggielax48
AG
Any rules experts see that obstruction call in the Midwest game just now? Was that the right call? I feel like he went to 3rd on his own and the fact he stopped running to see if the ball was caught the obstruction doesn't give him carte blanche to run to any base? Why not just run home then??
astros4545
AG
aggielax48 said:

Any rules experts see that obstruction call in the Midwest game just now? Was that the right call? I feel like he went to 3rd on his own and the fact he stopped running to see if the ball was caught the obstruction doesn't give him carte blanche to run to any base? Why not just run home then??
I saw it, I think it was the right call. It was a bang bang play at third, and his halfway lead while waiting to see if ball was caught was altered

MooseJr1994
AG
The "no lead offs" World Series. Yay!!!
BCSWguru
MooseJr1994 said:

the bases are 60 ft apart.
MooseJr1994
AG
LSCSN said:

MooseJr1994 said:

And LLWS is essentially 12u travel ball in TX. It needs to be 50/70 mound/bases. These kids should be good enough to hold runners.
TarponChaser
MooseJr1994 said:

LSCSN said:

MooseJr1994 said:

And LLWS is essentially 12u travel ball in TX. It needs to be 50/70 mound/bases. These kids should be good enough to hold runners.

Pretty much what I'm saying in this thread.

Little League participation has declined dramatically in the USA and I think that if they altered their rules so that they started playing with lead offs and open bases, etc. beginning at 9 or 10 they'd have more participation.

Make 9 & 10- 46/65, 11 & 12U 50/70 and I think we'd see a lot of these select kids play league in the spring. Especially at 11/12 so they have the chance of making it to Williamsport.

And make the outfield fences at least 200' for 9/10 and say 225' down the lines & 240' in CF for 11/12. Also let them use USSSA bats.

I don't have an sort of actual survey but I've seen enough kids who were good athletes but all kinds of discouraged because their parents didn't know better and bought them a USA bat while their friends who had USSSA bats were ripping seeds all over the field. Then when the kid picks up his buddy's USSSA bat and they start crushing it their confidence skyrockets.
Proposition Joe
Growing up we always viewed the "Little League" leagues as lesser leagues.
TarponChaser
Proposition Joe said:

Growing up we always viewed the "Little League" leagues as lesser leagues.

Depends on your age I guess. 30-35 years ago or so there was nothing but Little League and nobody played fall ball until maybe HS.

It used to be:
5-7 years old was tee-ball
7-9 years old was "minors"
10-12 was "majors" and the only level where they had All Stars which competed to get to the LLWS in Williamsport.
13 was "junior league" where you made the jump directly from 46/60/200 to 60/90/300
14-15 was "senior league" which sometimes played on 300' fields but most often played on HS fields.

In most cases your 15-year old season coincided with your freshman year of HS so you hopefully played both HS and senior league.

After that you had HS ball and if you were a stud you might make the American Legion team.

There were some places around the country that had Connie Mack teams/leagues or affiliations with PONY league. And there were just starting to be a handful of "travel" teams which were for truly elite players.

I don't know how they are today but one of the bigger ones for summer ball for HS kids who were almost always prospects was Austin Slam. At least one of the guys I grew up playing ball with in Bryan played for them.
RingOfive
AG
This is awful.

Player in Coma After Fall From Bunk Bed
TarponChaser
RingOfive said:

This is awful.

Player in Coma After Fall From Bunk Bed

That's absolutely terrible.
aggielax48
AG
Quote:

UPDATE
8:51 AM PT -- In a statement released Tuesday morning, Oliverson's family said the baseball player is showing positive signs of recovery.
"Just 36 hours ago, Easton was 30 minutes from passing away," the family said. "Now 36 hours later, he has a team of Trauma 1 doctors who are in absolute awe of his tremendous progress."
"One of his doctors said that everything they have hoped Easton to be able to do in the last 12 hours, he has done and more."
The family is asking for continued prayers.

From the same link, he appears to be showing signs of recovery.
astros4545
AG
Just bet on Texas +455 vs Hawaii tonight

Way too good of odds for a Tx team that hasn't lost a game yet even against powerhouse Hawaii
CFTXAG10
AG
Tennessee playing with fire
JABQ04
AG
Indianas got some big corn fed boys on that team
mwm
These Hawaii pitchers are unreal.
RingOfive
AG
Did anyone else hear the umpire talking to the Pearland catcher about the Pearland parents being misogynistic during the middle of the pitch?
AgBanker
Didn't hear that but heard the ump tell the Texas dugout "not another word".
RingOfive
AG
AgBanker said:

Didn't hear that but heard the ump tell the Texas dugout "not another word".

It happened right after that. Either during the very next pitch or the one after that. The mic picked up the ump lecturing the catcher about the Pearland parents being misogynistic.
JABQ04
AG
Saw what looked like the ump talking to the Pearland dugout, rather sternly. Couldn't hear anything in my house because all the kids decided to go BSC. I'm sure it'll be on the news before too long. I wasn't a fan of her behind the plate though.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Am I the only one annoyed by Taiwan being referred to as "Chinese Taipei"?

ESPN bowing to their masters.
RingOfive
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

Am I the only one annoyed by Taiwan being referred to as "Chinese Taipei"?

ESPN bowing to their masters.
They've always been referred to as Chinese Taipei.
Corporal Punishment
AG
There are old games on YouTube with the network calling them "Taiwan" but "Asia Pacific" on their jerseys. Also there's a documentary referring to them as the Republic of China.

RingOfive
AG
Interesting. Just did some quick searching on the Googler, and it looks like the name change happened in the early 80s. Apparently Taiwan boycotted the 1976 Olympics because of the naming issue. They agreed to the Chinese Taipei name and participated in the Olympics again in 1984. My guess is that's when they started using that name in the LLWS.

They were certainly called Chinese Taipei (from the Far East region) in 1995 when they kick our asses 17-3 in the championship game (laugh/cry face... mostly cry).
TAM85
Little League WS is great to watch. All leagues and teams have to follow the same rules to determine the players on each team, and closed bases are just fine for 11 and 12 year olds.
RingOfive
AG
Man. Fascinating video with some answers to the questions about the Taiwan/Chinese Taipei name change.

979ag
AG
Baseball is Dead is one of the best pages on the internet
TarponChaser
TAM85 said:

Little League WS is great to watch. All leagues and teams have to follow the same rules to determine the players on each team, and closed bases are just fine for 11 and 12 year olds.

Disagree with this.

And 46/60 with 225 fences are way too small. Most of these kids are practically 13 and I've seen more than a few kids at 12 hit 250' tanks with wood bats.

A good select pitcher at 12 is throwing at least 65 and can locate a curve. That's practically unhittable at 46'. My kid faced 80 from 50' in 12U this past season and that's absurd. Rare but absurd. The equivalent reaction time is for 60' is like 105mph.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Teams with the moniker of "Taiwan" show up as late as 2004:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Little_League_World_Series

First reference to "Chinese Tapei" I found was 2009:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Little_League_World_Series

note the 2009 reference no longer uses the Taiwan flag.

A lot of politics involved with this issue as you can imagine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Taipei

Quote:

The popular opinions in Taiwan have changed drastically in regard to the cross-strait relations and the nationalistic discourses since its transition to democracy, "Chinese Taipei" has constantly been viewed as anachronistic, aggravating, or even a humiliating and shameful symbol by many Taiwanese. An ongoing movement, the Taiwan Name Rectification Campaign seeks alteration of the formal name from "Chinese Taipei" to "Taiwan" for the representation in Olympic Games or further potential international events.
astros4545
AG
TarponChaser said:

TAM85 said:

Disagree with this.

And 46/60 with 225 fences are way too small. Most of these kids are practically 13 and I've seen more than a few kids at 12 hit 250' tanks with wood bats.

A good select pitcher at 12 is throwing at least 65 and can locate a curve. That's practically unhittable at 46'. My kid faced 80 from 50' in 12U this past season and that's absurd. Rare but absurd. The equivalent reaction time is for 60' is like 105mph.

65mph is very hittable for an all star team at 46 feet
TAM85
I just disagree with you. If the bases are closed for everyone and they have to play by the same rules that is fair.

All LL all star teams have to determine their players under the same rules. A coach cannot pick who he wants on his team, players cannot move from one team to another and a coach cannot cut a player because he or she is not good enough or add a player because he or she is great. The same rules apply to forming all teams.

There were about 6,000 fans at the Pearland game last night. The fans at select games are typically comprised of mom, dad and perhaps a sibling. I don't know how many people watched the game on TV, but would guess over 100K. There were over 10,000 fans at a West regional. I think the interest is generated in part because the structure of how the teams are formed puts everyone on the same level and because they represent their community.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.