Yankee Stadium

6,780 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Marvin
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just got back from NYC and wow what a crappy field/atmosphere. I had low expectations going in but they were surpassed to be actually lower than I thought.

Terrible subway setup with essentially everyone getting on/off at the same spot that creates a long jam getting into the stadium. Atmosphere around the field was non existent. Inside the stadium it was the same. It got a little rowdy when it got to extras on Friday night, but Saturday game was dull.

Stadium was nothing special, and terrible design logistics. Glad we went but we will never be back. The city sucked ass as well.
WestTexasAg
AG
Got to go to the old Yankee Stadium in its last season. Atmosphere was pretty good, but to be fair they were playing the Red Sox.
CampingAg
AG
We've seen it multiple times with stadiums over the years. Newer + nicer does not equal better.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
If you think NYC sucks that says more about you than NYC. Most of the New Yorkers I know who live in the city aren't huge sports fans and they are all front runners so no surprise atmosphere sucks
monarch
S
Remember the old Tiger Stadium/Briggs Stadium where the 2nd deck in right field actually hung out over the warning track? Not in a good area of town, the place was skanky, but the brots were great as the beer was cold. Guess they have torn that facility down and if they haven't they should have.
Peace for Ukraine!
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

If you think NYC sucks that says more about you than NYC. Most of the New Yorkers I know who live in the city aren't huge sports fans and they are all front runners so no surprise atmosphere sucks

Are these people you know homeless? I lived there and that couldn't be further from the truth. NYC dwellers love professional sports. It's college sports that they're not serious about.
agsalaska
AG
I was watching a game there on TV last year, I think against the Rays, and you couldn't help but notice all of the generated atmosphere in the background. The DJ or whatever was making noises, sounds, playing music, etc. between every freaking pitch.

Catcher goes to talk to pitcher, let's jam the Beastie Boys as loud as we can.

That kind of stuff destroys atmospheres. I'm sure it destroyed Yankee Stadium.
Noble07
AG
Quote:

We've seen it multiple times with stadiums over the years. Newer + nicer does not equal better.

Agree. I'd say the outlier to it is Minute Maid.
Proposition Joe
That's because Astrodome was a dump.
88Warrior
Proposition Joe said:

That's because Astrodome was a dump.

True …but it was our dump and I loved it!
The Porkchop Express
WestTexasAg said:

Got to go to the old Yankee Stadium in its last season. Atmosphere was pretty good, but to be fair they were playing the Red Sox.
We did the same thing, and saw Bob Ryan riding the subway. He was a super cool guy.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
CampingAg
AG
Noble07 said:

Quote:

Agree. I'd say the outlier to it is Minute Maid.

Agreed. I'm a Rangers fan and I love Minute Maid.
NJ75AGfdt
Went to "The House that Ruth built" a number of times with my dad. Majestic as a kid. Seeing the height of the right field facade, it's amazing Mickey Mantle crushed a ball that stuck the facade while the ball flight pattern was still climbing. That ball would've left Yankee Stadium had it not hit the facade.

It has been recorded, nobody ever hit a ball out of the original Yankee Stadium. There is an unconfirmed story that Josh Gibson of the Homestead Greys playing baseball in the Negro League "probably" hit one out. He also is reputed to have hit ~850 home runs duirng his career. It's a shame complete records were not kept.
"It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man," Psalm 118:8.

"In God we trust...all others pay cash!"
Prexys Moon
AG
Got to go to wrigley last weekend. Incredible. Total baseball. Organ music. Etc. just blew me away. Every baseball fan has to go.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Going to Yankee Stadium on Thursday. Looking forward to it as I look forward to all my trips to MLB stadiums. I'm going with my brother and nephew who live an hour from the stadium.
ClickClack
AG
I went for the ALCS in 2019. I wouldn't go back simply because their fans are human excrement.
chico
AG
Prexys Moon said:

Got to go to wrigley last weekend. Incredible. Total baseball. Organ music. Etc. just blew me away. Every baseball fan has to go.

Agree. Wrigley is terrific, especially the bleachers. So much fun-
Hey Nav
AG

I'm a big fan of Wrigley.
monarch
S
MMP is one of the best, if not the best ball park in MLB. Good employees, great customer base, all concession stands are easy to get in and out of, parking sucks a little, but at least you can drive your car there and there are always cops walking around the stadium and patrolling the parking lots. Petco is a good place, Anaheim though old, is a good place, Dodger stadium is not what it used to be, but is to expensive.
Peace for Ukraine!
JP_Losman
AG
Anyone going up to NYC if Astros/Yankees is happening?

What a trip that would be. Saturday/Sunday option for weekend also
YokelRidesAgain
AG
monarch said:

MMP is one of the best, if not the best ball park in MLB.
LOL no.

Nice team, even without the beating on the trash cans, but MMP is a slightly above average facility, at best.

PNC Park is the best stadium in baseball, although it would be way better if the Pirates wouldn't insist on appearing at every game.

The Mariners, Padres, Giants, and Twins facilities are much nicer than Enron Field. Don't even compare it to Wrigley or Fenway.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AustinCountyAg
possibly sunday we are...
JohnnyTexAg1995
Wen to several games at New YS. The problem they have is they built a brand new stadium to look and feel as close to a 100 year old stadium at they could. Concourses are bland and concrete pillars everywhere. If you want a cool stadium just hop over a couple bridges and check out CITI Field! It's a pretty nice new stadium with some cool bars and great layout
Nino Brown
YokelRidesAgain said:

monarch said:

MMP is one of the best, if not the best ball park in MLB.
LOL no.

Nice team, even without the beating on the trash cans, but MMP is a slightly above average facility, at best.

PNC Park is the best stadium in baseball, although it would be way better if the Pirates wouldn't insist on appearing at every game.

The Mariners, Padres, Giants, and Twins facilities are much nicer than Enron Field. Don't even compare it to Wrigley or Fenway.

You could always try another angle of bashing on a team that you hate and because your team sucks. Bashing on a great facility with comments like trash cans and Enron just makes you look like a big vag, just fyi.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
j_davis01 said:

Wen to several games at New YS. The problem they have is they built a brand new stadium to look and feel as close to a 100 year old stadium at they could. Concourses are bland and concrete pillars everywhere.
It's actually a little worse than that. The REAL Yankee Stadium, that of Ruth and Gehrig and DiMaggio and Mantle, was essentially torn down in the 1970s, with only the facade remaining. That Stadium was a "jewel box" park, writ large.

The "old" Stadium most of us remember had a lot of the same bones as the unlamented "cookie cutter" era multipurpose parks of the 1970s (concrete everywhere and claustrophobic concourses). I agree that it is very odd that the design for "New Yankee Stadium" incorporated a lot of the worst features of Yankee Stadium 2.0.

Quote:

If you want a cool stadium just hop over a couple bridges and check out CITI Field! It's a pretty nice new stadium with some cool bars and great layout

Yeah but it has the Mets in it. Pass.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Nino Brown said:

You could always try another angle of bashing on a team that you hate and because your team sucks. Bashing on a great facility with comments like trash cans and Enron just makes you look like a big vag, just fyi.
U mad bro?

"My" team is still playing, and we'll see who sucks over the next couple of weeks. It wouldn't shock me if Bryce Harper rips your hearts out again.

Anyway the contention that MMP is the best facility in baseball is just nonsense from people who need to get out of Houston occasionally. It's perfectly fine, and if you took 1985 me to it I would have happily anointed it the bestest ballpark ever.

But in this era, it's absolutely nothing special.
Nino Brown
YokelRidesAgain said:

Nino Brown said:

U mad bro?

"My" team is still playing, and we'll see who sucks over the next couple of weeks. It wouldn't shock me if Bryce Harper rips your hearts out again.

Anyway the contention that MMP is the best facility in baseball is just nonsense from people who need to get out of Houston occasionally. It's perfectly fine, and if you took 1985 me to it I would have happily anointed it the bestest ballpark ever.

But in this era, it's absolutely nothing special.

Not mad at all and certainly not bros's with a male that puts laugh out loud in all caps.

Also, anyone over the age of 15 that says, "you mad bro" looks like a big vag, just fyi.

And your response proved my point. This thread was about baseball stadiums, not the size of your wee wee or that you have a hard on for a dude playing professional baseball.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Nino Brown said:

Not mad at all and certainly not bros's with a male that puts laugh out loud in all caps.

Also, anyone over the age of 15 that says, "you mad bro" looks like a big vag, just fyi.

And your response proved my point. This thread was about baseball stadiums, not the size of your wee wee or that you have a hard on for a dude playing professional baseball.
Wow, it only took you five edits to come up with that?

But you already used "big vag" in the last post. Try harder.
wangus12
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

Nino Brown said:

You could always try another angle of bashing on a team that you hate and because your team sucks. Bashing on a great facility with comments like trash cans and Enron just makes you look like

Bryce Harper has played 5 games against the Astros in his entire career. 3 in 2012 and 2 this year. He's never ripped our hearts out.
Nino Brown
YokelRidesAgain said:

Nino Brown said:

Wow, it only took you five edits to come up with that?

But you already used "big vag" in the last post. Try harder.

It's called typing while in a meeting and correcting typos, dip***** Are you 12?
Nino Brown
Why would I try harder for a big vag?
BCSWguru
MMP is lame. Nobody outside of Houston thinks its great. Yankee stadium is a dud, too.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
LSCSN said:

MMP is lame. Nobody outside of Houston thinks its great. Yankee stadium is a dud, too.
This is the correct answer.

The game atmosphere is made by the people in it, but neither the facility or the experience of either place is in the upper echelon. The west coast parks and, for some reason, Pittsburgh are just way better venues as an unbiased observer.

The tendency for Houston fans to come unhinged when you point out that their choo-choo train and fake little hill in the outfield are second rate is hilarious.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Nino Brown said:

It's called typing while in a meeting and correcting typos, dip***** Are you 12?
No, but I learned how to type when I was 12. You should try it.

You should probably pay more attention to your job, too. Those burgers aren't going to flip themselves.
jkag89
Do you realize the fake little hill has been gone for seven or eight years now?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.