Facing Nolan

5,543 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by McInnis
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Edit* figured it out

Facing Nolan

You can pre-order now and begin streaming tonight at 5 PST. You will have 72 hours to watch it.
Pappy Van Winkle
AG
It'll be on iTunes starting next Tuesday, too.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Y'all, its incredible. A must watch for rangers/astros fans, and baseball fans in general.
CrottyKid
AG
Is streaming included on any mainstream platform or do you have to pay for it on all of them?
agdaddy04
AG
Have to pay
TarponChaser
Watched it last night and it was fantastic. If you are at all a baseball fan it's a must-watch.
chick79
AG
On Amazon Prime for rental at $5.99.
CrottyKid
AG
Yep. Rented it last night. It was awesome. Nolan's wife is the real star of the documentary.
dshedd41
S
Loved every minute of it.
Gig’em Aggies!
agproducer
AG
It is a must watch for any Astros or Rangers fan.
TarponChaser
I won't spoil it for anybody who hasn't seen it but I love the part about the Robin Ventura fight.
07ag
AG
https://www.netflix.com/title/81615834

On netflix now
https://ts.la/eric59704
BCSWguru
glad to see it on netflix. i stayed up late to watch it last night and it was really good. no mention of him getting tossed from a TCU-Baylor game though.
bhuff111
LSCSN said:

glad to see it on netflix. i stayed up late to watch it last night and it was really good. no mention of him getting tossed from a TCU-Baylor game though.

Wasn't that brawl on a Good Friday, no less?
BQ2001
AG
Damn, that was good. My favorite player growing up. I still remember the day I got his autograph at the Astrodome in 1987. I probably smiled for a week after that.
AustinAg2K
After watching this, I realized Nolan was 46 when he retired, so I've still got a couple more years to make this MLB dream happen.
McInnis
AG
I purchased the video a while back but had been waiting to watch it until yesterday when my BIL came for Thanksgiving so we could watch it together.

It said that the technology to measure the speed of a baseball had just been developed and it clocked him at 100.9 mph. But then the video stated that it was probably actually in the range of 107-108 mph, I think because of Jerry Grote's comments. That seems impossible but is it possible that Nolan really did throw harder than all the current pitchers that throw 100 mph today, or did it just seem like it because no one else came close then?

I was amazed that in 1973 he pitched two no-hitters, won 21 games, and broke the mlb record with 383 Ks but finished second in Cy Young voting. I looked up Jim Palmer's stats for that year and I guess he deserved it though. That just highlights how many dominant starting pitchers there were in the 60s and 70s.

And they interviewed Dave Winfield, the sea gull killer, about his fight with Ryan. Honestly after listening to his side of the story I can't blame him for charging the mound. He and Nolan were really getting after it.

The only disappointment of the video: "Robin Ventura declined to be interviewed".
AggiEE
McInnis said:

I purchased the video a while back but had been waiting to watch it until yesterday when my BIL came for Thanksgiving so we could watch it together.

It said that the technology to measure the speed of a baseball had just been developed and it clocked him at 100.9 mph. But then the video stated that it was probably actually in the range of 107-108 mph, I think because of Jerry Grote's comments. That seems impossible but is it possible that Nolan really did throw harder than all the current pitchers that throw 100 mph today, or did it just seem like it because no one else came close then?

I was amazed that in 1973 he pitched two no-hitters, won 21 games, and broke the mlb record with 383 Ks but finished second in Cy Young voting. I looked up Jim Palmer's stats for that year and I guess he deserved it though. That just highlights how many dominant starting pitchers there were in the 60s and 70s.

And they interviewed Dave Winfield, the sea gull killer, about his fight with Ryan. Honestly after listening to his side of the story I can't blame him for charging the mound. He and Nolan were really getting after it.

The only disappointment of the video: "Robin Ventura declined to be interviewed".

I was wondering the same thing. I don't think he was throwing the equivalent of 107-108 mph vs. 102 mph from someone like Chapman of today
scrimp
AG
Pitching Ninja on Youtube has good video on this exact situation....

TLDR version--Hard/impossible to get an accurate speed based off of video, but the eyeball test seems to suggest Nolan threw as fast as the 105 mph Chapman pitches, so 108 mph might be high, but not out of the question....
An L of an Ag
AG
Good watch. I mentioned this on the in-season Astros thread, but the final out on Nolan's 5th no hitter was Dusty Baker.
McInnis
AG
That's a good one scrimp, and your summation is good as well. It's pretty reasonable to think that he did throw at least 105 at times. The side by side of him and Chapman who was clocked at 105 is revealing. But to consider that Chapman can do that for an inning while Nolan was doing it at the end of complete games is kind of staggering.

What's equally impressive to me are the batters that would stand in there against these guys. Put me in pads and let Von Miller tackle me at full speed. I'd take that over batting against either of them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.