Is a strike out worse than other outs?

1,747 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by diehard03
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In the early 2000s, there was a fantasy baseball guru that argued against any point system that punished for strikeouts. His philosophy was that a strikeout is no worse than any other out. I have all kinds of thoughts on this, but I'm curious what other people think.
TarponChaser
Of course. There are productive outs that advance runners and might score runs. A strikeout doesn't do that.
AgBQ-00
AG
Yes. It completely takes the chance away for the defense to make an error in trying to get you out or being productive in getting a runner closer to scoring. I don't have the data to try and support it, but the idea that an out is an out is not right. Think about a team of Joey Gallos VS a team of Ichiros. Who wins that at a greater clip?
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Aggies2009
AG
Fantasy sports have ruined peoples understanding of actual sports.
bigjag19
AG
I'll take a K all day over a GIDP.
Proposition Joe
As far as fantasy scoring goes -- it probably depends on if the league subtracts points for GIDP. If not, there's probably a decent case to be made that strikeouts shouldn't be punished more than regular outs.

As far as the actual game of baseball goes -- depends on what level of play.

"Productive outs" in the MLB aren't very common. It's the reason analytics more or less killed the sac bunt -- the numbers didn't support giving up an out to move the runner.

So while it's tough for many to get their mind around it -- a strikeout vs "putting the ball in play" in the big leagues really has very little difference.

And while more predictive based than results based, a guy that strikeouts more in the big leagues tends to be a guy that hits for more power. Though you can make the case that's a chicken/egg thing as a guy who strikes out a ton in the big leagues and doesn't hit for power... doesn't stick around in the big leagues to put up much data.
TarponChaser
bigjag19 said:

Well, duh, one is two outs and that's twice as bad as one.
tjack16
AG
I'd say a K or infield popup is about to same IMO
Gramercy Riffs
AG
bigjag19 said:

Unless that GIDP plates a run
Proposition Joe
Gramercy Riffs said:

bigjag19 said:

Most teams will gladly give up a run for GIDP.
Jet Black
Pitching is just ridiculous at this point.
jeffag02
Pete Incaviglia was just 35 years too early to the game. He'd be an All-Star today.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

bigjag19 said:

Not an rbi either
diehard03
Quote:

Most teams will gladly give up a run for GIDP.

When the defense trades a run for 2 outs (due to the value of those men on base), that tells you all you need to know.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.