Throwing back a home run ball

12 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 07ag
nai06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was thinking about this the other day and wondered how you thought about it.

Scenario 1- You are in your team's ballpark and the opposing team hits a homer which you catch. Do you throw it back?

Scenario 2- You are a different ballpark and have no allegiance to either team. You catch a home run ball and the crowd is chanting for you to throw it back. Do you throw it back?

both examples are just your average regular season game. No playoff games, world series, etc.
JABQ04
AG
Due to the fact I've never caught a HR ball or hell even a foul ball then in those situations:

1) keep it
2) want to keep it but probably end up tossing it. Also though, will depend on who hits said HR. If it's a future or potential HoFer I'm keeping
alvtimes
Im finding a young baseball fan around me and handing it off.
PatAg
AG
nai06 said:

I was thinking about this the other day and wondered how you thought about it.

Scenario 1- You are in your team's ballpark and the opposing team hits a homer which you catch. Do you throw it back?

Scenario 2- You are a different ballpark and have no allegiance to either team. You catch a home run ball and the crowd is chanting for you to throw it back. Do you throw it back?

both examples are just your average regular season game. No playoff games, world series, etc.

Scenario 1, throw it back

Scenario 2, probably give it to a young fan of the team that hit the homerun if one is nearby. Give it to a home fan to throw back if they want.

I dont think Ive ever gone to a game where I wasnt a fan of one of the teams involved though
BCSWguru
got a ground rule double once. Some kid ditching school wanted it and I said no dice, bro. it was one of those Astros 50th year balls. My kid loves it.
wangus12
AG
Caught 2 foul balls in back to back games in Arlington years ago. Gave one away and kept the other one (hit by the one and only World Champion El Oso Blanco).
Proposition Joe
1) Give it to a kid and they can keep/throw-back.

2) Important homerun? I'm keeping it. Run-of-the-mill tater? Give it to a kid.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
If you bring your glove might as well have a dummy ball as well to throw back and keep the OG
DallasAg 94
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
1) look around for kid. If no kid, rub ball on my junk and then throw back.

2) look around for kid. If no kid, do whatever to make the crowd happy.

All of that said, this is why you sit in foul territory.
aftershock
If I sit in HR territory I normally tell the kids to bring a trash ball from home. If we catch a dinger from an opposing team, I would throw that ball back. Keep the actual ball. Win win.
Satellite of Love
I'd only throw it back at Wrigley. All other parks are just being copy cats. Catching a HR is a pretty rare thing and I'm not going to succumb to the mob.

I have a foul ball I caught at Olsen Field as a student. Managed to catch it with my hind right on a female friend's head. She was so thankful to not take a ball to the skull.
Propane & Accessories
AG
Satellite of Love said:

I'd only throw it back at Wrigley. All other parks are just being copy cats. Catching a HR is a pretty rare thing and I'm not going to succumb to the mob.

I have a foul ball I caught at Olsen Field as a student. Managed to catch it with my hind right on a female friend's head. She was so thankful to not take a ball to the skull.
So it was like a meteor of love instead of a Satellite.

Honestly Keep it either way, give it to my niece or nephew they'll enjoy it or throw it into the street.
The Lost
I'm still pissed I didn't make more of an effort to get a Gary Sheffield hr ball at the last ball park in Arlington. Dude who got it got to meet him and get signed *****

Negotiate cool stuff is goal one for me.
94chem
Satellite of Love said:

TMI or TLI, I'm not sure.
Airdale
Just give it to a kid.
PatAg
AG
Satellite of Love said:

what?
OE_Ag11
AG
Bring a tball and throw it back. Best of both worlds.

Get to keep it but get the credit for throwing it back. Plus the look when the ball boy picks up the squishy ball is good. People in our season ticket group did it and for big games we would bring a drop ball as well.
Texaggie7nine
Always laugh at the poor saps that throw it back because of chants. Only to see the ball boy pick it up and go back to his stool where the very same people screaming for the person in the outfield to throw it back, are now throwing their hands up wanting the ball when the ball boy tosses it into the crowd.
7nine
07ag
AG
keep it

i've been to hundreds of games in my life between college, minor, and major leagues, and i've never gotten a hr ball, nor a foul ball, nor a bp ball. not even a 'tossed into the stands' ball. thankfully i have a kid now, so i can say it's for her, but i'm not giving up any ball i receive, at least not the first one
https://ts.la/eric59704
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.