The letter is finally unsealed

2,264 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TarponChaser
Wisconsin_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And it reveals exactly what we all knew but hey, it's the Yankees, so nothing will happen

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/04/26/new-york-yankees-letter-release-sign-stealing/9543414002/
Wabs
AG
Yankees fans and their media fanboys act like these rules started after the 2017 memo, but in fact it's been a rule since 2001.

The Yankees got caught and received a small fine and a private letter.

The Astros were caught (ratted out) and got a heavy fine, lost draft picks, and were subject to a publicly released letter. Sounds fair, huh?
The Porkchop Express
Wabs said:

Yankees fans and their media fanboys act like these rules started after the 2017 memo, but in fact it's been a rule since 2001.

The Yankees got caught and received a small fine and a private letter.

The Astros were caught (ratted out) and got a heavy fine, lost draft picks, and were subject to a publicly released letter. Sounds fair, huh?
We won the World Series and have been to two more since. Who cares about the Yankees and their ***** ass fans?
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
scrimp
AG
Cheating in baseball (and all pro sports, TBH) is nothing new. Teams have been cheating by steal signs (Astros, Yankees, Red Sox (x2) confirmed, dozens of others rumored), throwing spitballs/scuff balls, PEDs in the 90s, amphetamine in the 60s, cocaine in the 80s, manipulation of the humidors, etc. The list of cheating confirmed in baseball is huge, and the alleged cheating is almost endless. Whenever you have ultra-competitive humans going after fame and fortune, "bending" the rules to get an edge is the most likely outcome.

The difference for the Astros was twofold--first, they had a rat that went on record with the details to the Athletic, years after the event. Second, the method of cheating was easily "verifiable" by the average idiot with access to youtube. The Red Sox and Yankees cheated, but the system was more complicated than the audible trash can bang.

I also find it funny that we draw a line at what is "cheating". If I steal signs as a baserunner and relay them to the batter, almost universally that is considered gamesmanship. If, as a baserunner, I get info from the dugout and relay it to the batter, that is "cheating".

TarponChaser
I truly don't care that what the Astros did was technically cheating. Every other team in the league was doing the same basic thing and baseball has been about cheating creatively (and sometimes not so creatively) since Abner Doubleday's time.

The only thing that bothered me was the scapegoating of the team/organization and the sanctimonious bull**** from all the other teams and fans who were doing the same damn thing but didn't get ratted out by a POS pedophile.
Ag4life80
AG
This is all about the Astros being scapegoated and the sanctimonious attitude of the Yankees. The fact that a whole lot of other teams were doing it is a footnote.
htxag09
AG
Chris Sale:
Quote:

"I don't know, man, Here's the thing, and I'm going to give you my honest opinion: If the Astros were the only team doing it, then yeah. Give it back. Take it back. I know for a fact they weren't," Sale said on the WEEI morning show Monday. "All these people pointing fingers, well, hey, take a check in the mirror real quick. Make sure you and your team weren't doing something.
Joey Votto:
Quote:

"Yeah, yeah, there's no question about it," Votto said. "The idea that they (the Astros) were the only one doing something wrong just baffles me."
Steven Souza Jr.:
Quote:

Im not going to get into to all that but you should know that if you think Houston was the only team with a sign stealing system you're dead wrong
Players from various teams have stated the Astros were in no way the only team doing it. Literally nothing has happened from any of these comments. People simply ignore them or blow them off. "I don't care if everyone did it, the Astros were doing it the worst!!!"

Not sure why anyone would have thought this letter would have been handled differently.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
Yanks cheated first and taught the Astros how to do it. Yanks should forfeit all those titles…oh wait… nevermind.

Th Yankees have never been to the Alcs 5 straight years, but the Astros have. And counting.

BMX Bandit
Jeff Passan & ESPN covering for Yankees so pathetic
Wisconsin_Ag
It's been over 2 weeks since the letter was unsealed and crickets from everyone except Jim Crane.
BryanAggie2013
AG
Nothing quite as entertaining as astros fans who have told us for 3 years that this is all a nothing burger, now mad because people aren't making a big enough deal about it.

If you're a Houston fan doing anything but shrugging your shoulders at this letter, you admit that your WS is tainted.
Wisconsin_Ag
Quote:

If you're a Houston fan doing anything but shrugging your shoulders at this letter, you admit that your WS is tainted.

What an inane statement
TarponChaser
BryanAggie2013 said:

Nothing quite as entertaining as astros fans who have told us for 3 years that this is all a nothing burger, now mad because people aren't making a big enough deal about it.

Smells like a *****-ass Rangers fan.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.