Leave the shift alone.

1,289 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CampingAg
LonghornDub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Homers aren't the only exciting things in baseball. The shift has increased the value of learning to hit to the oppo field, and it's an art itself.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

_lefraud_
AG
It's going away

You've got a year to build a bridge and get over it
McInnis
AG
LonghornDub said:

Homers aren't the only exciting things in baseball. The shift has increased the value of learning to hit to the oppo field, and it's an art itself.
That's true, but how many batters have taken advantage of that? Not many. Yeah, Michael Brantley won a game for the Astros by doing it last might, but he's in a small minority. I can't wait until it's gone.
htxag09
AG
McInnis said:

LonghornDub said:

That's true, but how many batters have taken advantage of that? Not many. Yeah, Michael Brantley won a game for the Astros by doing it last might, but he's in a small minority. I can't wait until it's gone.
Maybe it just feels that way because every instance means more and is more memorable, but I feel like hitters change their approach and are much more likely to beat the shift in the playoffs than the regular season.
TarponChaser
McInnis said:

LonghornDub said:

They weren't really shifted vs. Brantley. Both 3B & SS were in their typical spots, but shaded to the middle a bit. Teams don't typically shift on Brantley because he's such a good hitter who sprays the ball around.

That being said, I wholeheartedly agree that hitters need to try to hit away from the shift more often. Sure, the analytics allegedly say that swinging for bombs is more efficient but I'd contend that the ability to slap a base hit away from the shift forces pitchers to alter the way they pitch. They make more pitches, generally try to get too perfect, and when they do that is when they're more likely to make a mistake which the hitter then deposits into the cheap seats.
McInnis
AG
OK, when I watched the replay I didn't notice the 3rd baseman who was on the ground after diving, it looked like the SS was the 3rd baseman to me. But I completely agree with what you say in regards to how analytics are missing the whole picture on this.

Proposition Joe
The players don't want it, and MLB believes most of the fans don't want it.

So it will be going away before too much longer.
CampingAg
AG
Shift needs to be gone. The advent of high speed cameras and technology have benefitted the pitcher so much more than the hitter. Sorry the average fastball isn't 92 anymore. How are you going to tell a hitter to go the other way when he's being force fed 98mph on the inner half all game every game? And when the do the right thing and barrel it up with an exit velo of 110 the third baseman is standing in shallow RF for an easy put out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.