Modeling a swing after MLB players

5,935 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by canaAg12
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What big leaguers' swings would you have your kids try to emulate? Or would you? Also, would you just pick a few of the "best" swings or pick batters that are same handed as your kids?

I mean, other than Joey Gallo
CampingAg
AG
I tell HS kids not to watch MLB swings. Majority of those guys have "flaws" in their swings that they are strong enough to get away with. Thus it's not a flaw to them, but it would be a flaw for a kid to try a swing like that. But if you do I'd definitely choose someone with the same handedness.
Chris98
AG
Tony Gwynn and Wade Boggs. Their approach/ swing is a lost art.
TarponChaser
Doesn't have to be "same handed." Phil Mickelson is naturally right-handed in everything he does but learned lefty by mirroring his right-handed father's swing.

My oldest wears 44 and works his swing like Yordan Alvarez because he "wants to hit like a right-handed Yordan."

redline248
AG
Yordan has a pretty legit swing. I was wondering what people thought of Bryce Harper's? I haven't studied it very much
Propane & Accessories
AG
Not Hunter Pence, Garry Sheffield, or Aaron Rowand
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
JD Martinez had some interesting thoughts on how and who he modeled his swing after, i think i read it in astroball. But dude fixed his swing mid career, so I think he had good insight. I think Jason Castro and Braun
bigjag19
AG
Bagwell is this only answer.
ChAg1799
AG
The best swing in baseball today is Kyle Tucker. Biggio was super solid... But Griffey, Jr. was the best I remember.
Mr Gigem
AG
Mike Trout

EOT
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Mike Trout.
Kyle Tucker has a similar swing to Ted Williams, and Ted Williams is the greatest hitter to ever live.

Ryan Braun had a really nice, compact swing. Yeah he was on PEDs, still had a nice swing.
Prime Evan Longoria was excellent too. Look up some highlights of him on the Rays.
redline248
AG
When I watch Trout's swing I wonder if he has a little too much backward lean? I know a lot of guys do that, but I'm not sure how "optimal" that is. He also (and I've seen a few others do this) comes off his back foot when he's at the contact point. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that one.

TarponChaser
Frank Thomas did that all the time where his weight transfer was so powerful that he always came up off his back foot. As long as you stay balanced it's not an issue. I'd argue the Big Hurt is the greatest right hand hitter in history except maybe Albert Pujols. And Pujols does (or did) the same thing.

It's a byproduct of the leg drive and weight transfer. They don't teach that move specifically it's just what occurs. Even in kids. Here's my 11-year old doing the same thing- he's working on his lower half and swinging an over-weight wood bat (called a CamWood if you're familiar) that weighs like 43 ounces.

TarponChaser
ScapeGOAT said:

Mike Trout.
Kyle Tucker has a similar swing to Ted Williams, and Ted Williams is the greatest hitter to ever live.

Ryan Braun had a really nice, compact swing. Yeah he was on PEDs, still had a nice swing.
Prime Evan Longoria was excellent too. Look up some highlights of him on the Rays.

Not this crap again. They're both tall, wiry, and left-handed. They finish in a similar position but other than that their swings aren't alike.

Williams started with his hands low and his hands had a compact stroke to the ball, generating power without much effort but coming from the fact he was 6'3" 215# or so in his career.

I have been way down on Tucker before last season but he was fantastic last year- in large part because he was striking out a ton and seemed to dog it in the field a lot. However, his swing is not what you'd teach a young kid. He starts with his hands high, brings them down (to sort of where Williams starts) and finishes well but in the middle he's got a long, looping swing that generates power by turning his entire body around a central balance axis. He's barred out with his right arm and drags the bat through the zone with his entire body. He's a tremendous athlete and might have the best hand-eye coordination in baseball these days because there's no way he'd hit the ball if he didn't. If you're not strong enough and not coordinated enough like Tucker you'd see most players dump the barrel. And it makes him prone to rolling over his hands.

It works for him because he's exceptionally talented but it's not something I'd want to teach a young kid.

Compare that to Ken Griffey, Jr. who I've always thought had one of the best swings ever. He stays compact with his hands.

For right-handers I think Mookie Betts has a great swing for kids to emulate. Especially smaller kids since Betts is only 5'9".

Jim Thome & Harold Reynolds break down Mookie's swing
Quito
AG
I say find someone who is build similar to where they project and do what they do.
ChAg1799
AG
TarponChaser said:

ScapeGOAT said:

Mike Trout.

Not this crap again. They're both tall, wiry, and left-handed. They finish in a similar position but other than that their swings aren't alike.

Williams started with his hands low and his hands had a compact stroke to the ball, generating power without much effort but coming from the fact he was 6'3" 215# or so in his career.

I have been way down on Tucker before last season but he was fantastic last year- in large part because he was striking out a ton and seemed to dog it in the field a lot. However, his swing is not what you'd teach a young kid. He starts with his hands high, brings them down (to sort of where Williams starts) and finishes well but in the middle he's got a long, looping swing that generates power by turning his entire body around a central balance axis. He's barred out with his right arm and drags the bat through the zone with his entire body. He's a tremendous athlete and might have the best hand-eye coordination in baseball these days because there's no way he'd hit the ball if he didn't. If you're not strong enough and not coordinated enough like Tucker you'd see most players dump the barrel. And it makes him prone to rolling over his hands.

It works for him because he's exceptionally talented but it's not something I'd want to teach a young kid.

Compare that to Ken Griffey, Jr. who I've always thought had one of the best swings ever. He stays compact with his hands.

For right-handers I think Mookie Betts has a great swing for kids to emulate. Especially smaller kids since Betts is only 5'9".

Jim Thome & Harold Reynolds break down Mookie's swing

I like Betts swing too, and for some reason forgot completely about Trout.
One of Tucker's bets attributes is how long his bat is in the zone, which supports your argument of a phenomenal hand eye coordination and balance.
Oyster DuPree
AG
Wait, you were the guy that started that thread about Kyle Tucker and then bled all over it when people pointed out how stupid you were? ****ing Lol
aggiebird02
Ichiro. Dude could somehow hit anything pitched to him…
This message brought to you by the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Quote:

Ken Griffey, Jr. who I've always thought had one of the best swings ever.
Yes, you're one of the FEW people with that thought. Much like Peggy Hill and her opinion that the day before Thanksgiving is one of the busiest travel days of the year
TarponChaser
Oyster DuPree said:

Wait, you were the guy that started that thread about Kyle Tucker and then bled all over it when people pointed out how stupid you were? ****ing Lol

I did ***** about Tucker because at the time he was hitting about .210, striking out at Gallo-esque pace, and dogging it in the field. He got hot and got better and I ate crow. None of which has any bearing on the fact that you don't want a kid swinging like he does.
investorAg83
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Mike Trout

EOT

Agreed. The side by side comparison of Trout and Witt Jr (making his debut today) is pretty uncanny.
redline248
AG
Ichiro is a pretty good call, and I think Griffey's swing was so pretty. I'll have to look at Betts, later.

So, the only thing I don't like about Tucker is his hands look a little low, to me, when he starts. Yes, he also looks long, but I wouldn't say he's barred out. Compare these 2 still frames of Tucker and Griffey. They are both "long" with the bottom arm. (Unfortunately, the shot is directly from the side view on Griffey, but I think you can still see it. A lot of the swings I've watched, they all start the hands up level with the ear. Tucker is around the shoulder, and he doesn't wrap his bat as much. It starts wrapped, but just about when he plants the barrel moves slightly toward the catcher. I think that is why it looks weird.

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
i feel like this is just a list of people naming good hitters. While not at the level of hitters previously mentioned, i could watch Michael Brantleyswing a bat all day.
redline248
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

i feel like this is just a list of people naming good hitters. While not at the level of hitters previously mentioned, i could watch michael brantley swing a bat all day.
I brought up Harper, earlier. He's a good hitter, but after watching his swing, I don't think I'd have anyone copy it. It looks like he gets lower and lower to the ground while striding, before getting back upright on follow through. Although, it could be just an illusion created by the camera zooming out. He also lifts his back foot waaay off the ground...but you can really see how much weight he's transferring. It's pretty incredible.

Brantley does have a really smooth swing
investorAg83
AG

i feel like this is just a list of people naming good hitters. While not at the level of hitters previously mentioned, i could watch Michael Brantleyswing a bat all day.

Along that same line, I've always liked Mitch Garver's swing. Love that he's with the Rangers now.
TarponChaser
redline248 said:

Ichiro is a pretty good call, and I think Griffey's swing was so pretty. I'll have to look at Betts, later.

So, the only thing I don't like about Tucker is his hands look a little low, to me, when he starts. Yes, he also looks long, but I wouldn't say he's barred out. Compare these 2 still frames of Tucker and Griffey. They are both "long" with the bottom arm. (Unfortunately, the shot is directly from the side view on Griffey, but I think you can still see it. A lot of the swings I've watched, they all start the hands up level with the ear. Tucker is around the shoulder, and he doesn't wrap his bat as much. It starts wrapped, but just about when he plants the barrel moves slightly toward the catcher. I think that is why it looks weird.

I'm not proficient enough to really edit the photos and show what I'm talking about but Griffey slots his elbow and his hands go from that load position straight to the baseball. It's very compact and efficient. Tucker drags the bat through the zone. He pretty much drops the barrel flat from the above position and sort of sweeps it through the zone. Makes it much harder to drive something to the opposite field because he has to use his whole body to make that move vs. just his hands. Plus, it makes it much more likely to roll over.

It works for Tucker, just not something you want to teach a kid.
redline248
AG
I would argue that he is capable of hitting to the opposite field somewhat easily, b/c the barrel of the bat is in the zone for so long.

edit: I'm not really suggesting anyone model after him, but I don't think it's really that bad of a swing, mechanically.
vander54
S
Julio Franco
aggiebird02
vander54 said:

Julio Franco
Now there is a name I haven't heard in a long long time…
This message brought to you by the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President.
TarponChaser

You mean most good hitters have great swings? Whodathunkit??
Farmer1906
AG
They're basically twins.
redline248
AG
I was wondering when you would find this thread
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
TarponChaser said:

No, i was making the exact opposite point.
redline248
AG

TarponChaser said:

No, i was making the exact opposite point.
New topic! Which good hitters have the ugliest swings?
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
prince fielder comes to mind
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.