***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,314,393 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MAROON said:

Ag_07 said:

And my God Bryan Abreu has become and absolute dominating setup man.

He looked filthy

So glad to see him blossom into a plus plus weapon. He's always had the stuff but now he's got the command and confidence to be great.
yep. I can remember back in the day when I would cuss like a sailor at Dusty when he brought in Abreu. Dude has honed his craft and matured.

He has become what they hoped Josh James would become. Huge upgrade.
Deluxe
AG
I just went back and looked a little closer. Looks like JV did throw more fastballs than I remember, but most of the damage Philly did was off his offspeed stuff. They had two hits off the fastball, four off the offspeed. All of their run-producing plays were offspeed.

It seemed like Philly was working deep into counts (lots of 5-8 pitch ABs) and JV went away from the heat a few times to dial up the "put away" pitch. But they did a disproportionate amount of damage on those pitches.
Wabs
AG
I'd go Orange unis tonight, blue for Framber on Saturday, and then old school rainbows if we get to game 7.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer, you were at game 2 right? You're good luck. Get to game 6.
3B Paul 97
AG
Harry Lime needs to go back to the bar tonight
AustinAg2K
This team is amazing. Even with all the success we've had the past six years, it's incredible to think the best may still be ahead of us. You've got Framber and Vazquez dominating the WS, and they've both got a while before their arbitration eligible. Hunter Brown looks like he's gong to be an absolute stud. LMJ is only 28, and is already locked up for several more years. It's going to be expensive, but I think they're going to keep Verlander at least until he shows some signs of slowing down. I'm not a huge Garcia or Urquidy fan, but at worst, they can probably bring some major talent in a trade. It's crazy to think that this team has so much talent that they can basically not even use a 15 game winner.
AustinCountyAg
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

True

Just seems like he sometimes tends to switch up the approach just to switch it up. Like 'Oh it's the 3rd time I need to throw more big hooks and soft stuff'.

I think Smoltz mentioned it last night and it was spot on. A pitcher shouldn't deviate from the plan unless dictated by the hitters.
Maybe, but I think he's setting them up for that. The big hooks are the hardest to hit. He's not going to get chase or freeze them if they are expecting it and can identify it.

I think the plan needs to get outs however you can. Don't worry about length. Keep putting up zeros until you can't. Then let the reinforcements come in.

This. JV needs to attack and not worry about saving some for the later innings. His job tonight is not to provide length and try to go 110 pitches like a game in May. He needs to attack and get ahead early. Getting behind in the count to the Phillies is a recipe for disaster.
Jackal99
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

Harry Lime needs to go back to the bar tonight

That shouldn't be a problem for him. His wallet, maybe, but not him.
Cromagnum
AG
Wabs said:

I'd go Orange unis tonight, blue for Framber on Saturday, and then old school rainbows if we get to game 7.

I'm good with you for Saturday. I would flip today and Sunday.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer, you were at game 2 right? You're good luck. Get to game 6.
I am 3-0 this postseason.

But...

Wabs
AG
rak1693
AG
jg07 said:

The Vegas favorite has lost each game this series. We're favored by Vegas tonight.

We were favored in Game 2 -145
Farmer1906
AG
rak1693 said:

jg07 said:

The Vegas favorite has lost each game this series. We're favored by Vegas tonight.

Maybe he meant series favorite. What was it last night?
FrioAg 00
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I've got a suite at the Texans game tonight - we're just going to make it an Astros game watching party with a football game going on in the background
Cromagnum
AG
Damn. They had a no hitter in the restroom too.
aTm2004
AG
Cromagnum said:

MOCO9
AG
Cromagnum said:

GOLD
jg07
AG
rak1693 said:

jg07 said:

You're right. I clicked on the wrong game. So there's a chance!
rak1693
AG
Farmer1906 said:

rak1693 said:

jg07 said:

Maybe he meant series favorite. What was it last night?

Philly -115
AustinAg2K
Burn-It said:

Oh NO, they're pulling out the baby blues for game 5...

Does this mean we get to claim the pitchers are using the jerseys to hide sticky stuff if we don't win?
Cromagnum
AG
From the Tine board.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

He has become what they hoped Josh James would become. Huge upgrade.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Quad Dog
AG
Deluxe said:

Frok said:

So if JV has another poor World Series start who is on stand-by to step in and eat innings? Garcia? Brown?
I think Brown is first man up tonight and Garcia only pitches if absolutely necessary. Winning tonight is priority #1 and using Garcia should certainly be on the table, but generally I think it would be good to bookmark Garcia for potential extended duty in g7 and not let the Phillies see him again until then.
I don't like the idea of teaming up JV and Brown mainly just by how similar they are. Team up JV with Garcia. I think using LMJ as an opener for Brown would be a great mix up for Philly hitters to have to transition from off speed to power.
Wabs
AG
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Cromagnum said:

1MM internet points to you!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Lost in the shuffle of the no-no is that in our big inning, Pena and Bregman both got down 0-2 in the count and then worked it to the point of getting the pitches they could handle for a single to load the bases and the big double.

I was pretty down on Bregman in May-June. This series has made him my favorite player to watch.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Someone alert Albert Pujoles
The Porkchop Express
AG
From the WS Pickem - only wangus12, jah003, agproducer, Funky Winkerbean, and BCSGrubber are still alive in the # of games competition. Funky picked 7 and the rest of those guys picked 6.

Still waiting on those Altuve and Pena home runs, Yordan's down 1-0 to Harper in home runs, and mercifully, no Will Smith yet.
Quad Dog
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Lost in the shuffle of the no-no is that in our big inning, Pena and Bregman both got down 0-2 in the count and then worked it to the point of getting the pitches they could handle for a single to load the bases and the big double.

I was pretty down on Bregman in May-June. This series has made him my favorite player to watch.
Even when struggling Bregman is always good at working the count.
Beau Holder
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Agree, Bregman making excellence look so unbothered is awesome.
Ag_07
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Holy hell...Could you imagine if we snuck Albert into our dugout and just as Lidge was about toss the ball he came running out like it was some WWE Smackdown event with a bat and a microphone.
Deluxe
AG
Quad Dog said:

I don't like the idea of teaming up JV and Brown mainly just by how similar they are. Team up JV with Garcia. I think using LMJ as an opener for Brown would be a great mix up for Philly hitters to have to transition from off speed to power.
I'm open to it
RED AG 98
AG
kegstand said:

BMX Bandit said:

clanton is so good at those!

watching it reminded me that there weren't even any "hard outs." usually you see 1-2 great defensive plays in a no-no. closest thing was tucker's catch, which really was not much more than routine.
The line drive from Segura in the 8th that Tucker caught at his waist was the loudest out of the night
Highest xBA of the night too at .810. The Astros had the next 14 highest xBAs.
Hulla Baller
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

When did Brad Lidge become a legend?

I set this up for someone...
bearkatag15
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 2147 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.