***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,314,566 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

And my God Bryan Abreu has become and absolute dominating setup man.

He looked filthy

So glad to see him blossom into a plus plus weapon. He's always had the stuff but now he's got the command and confidence to be great.
yep. I can remember back in the day when I would cuss like a sailor at Dusty when he brought in Abreu. Dude has honed his craft and matured.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
aTm2004
AG
bobinator
AG
Yes. Both. That's why the hook better be quick.

I can sort of get trying to let JV go through it in game one, but in game 5 with our pitching depth it's gotta be fast.
RED AG 98
AG
Coby
AG
Is his fastball velo that high? I thought it was low to mid 90s but the spin makes it awesome.
Deluxe
AG
Frok said:

So if JV has another poor World Series start who is on stand-by to step in and eat innings? Garcia? Brown?
I think Brown is first man up tonight and Garcia only pitches if absolutely necessary. Winning tonight is priority #1 and using Garcia should certainly be on the table, but generally I think it would be good to bookmark Garcia for potential extended duty in g7 and not let the Phillies see him again until then.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Javier doesn't throw 98-100… you're stats are for Abreu
RED AG 98
AG
Doh, disregard. That was of course Abreu
Wabs
AG
Loved Javi's performance, but man Abreu came in and just mowed them down. That was freaking awesome.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah Javier can't reach 95+ regularly

Think he had a couple 96 here and there but his velo is not that high relatively speaking.
tboag
AG
Javier just made an absolute blue print on how to get the Phillies out. JV has better stuff and literally just needs to follow the high fastball, break one off, another high fastball plan and he will roll. If he can't compete tonight it's inexcusable.
bobinator
AG
I would actually almost go the other way, but there's just a lot of variables. How far into the game is it, are both teams hitting, who's due up, etc.
Pahdz
Guy who works for me up here in MN is a casual baseball fan but definitely doesn't watch a lot of Astros. He texted me last night after Abreu pitched and said "Jesus who is that dude he is huge and throwing some filth!"

He put the baseball world on notice last night
FrioAg 00
AG
JV is going to throw a complete game today
kegstand
AG
JV honestly just needs to ditch the change and the curve tonight. If he's got his FB and SL command, watch out
Deluxe
AG
bobinator said:

I would actually almost go the other way, but there's just a lot of variables. How far into the game is it, are both teams hitting, who's due up, etc.
I'm open to it
Frok
AG
Verlander's World Series History w/ Astros:

2017 - Game 2 - 6 innings - 3 earned runs (2 walks, 5k, 2 HR)
2017 - Game 6 - 6 innings - 2 earned runs (0 walks, 9k, 0 HR)
2019 - Game 2 - 6 innings, 4 earned runs (3 walks, 6k, 1 HR)
2019 - Game 6 - 5 innings, 3 earned runs (3 walks, 3k, 2 HR)
2022 - Game 1 - 5 innings, 5 earned runs (2 walks, 5k, 0 HR)

I really thought he was going to get his redemption game in 2019 in game 6. We had all the momentum and we were coming home with a 3-2 lead.

Now I just how our offense can jump on Thor early to loosen the team up.

cone
AG
Jet Black
May have already been posted but the Astros have had a 5-0 lead in 3 of 4 games.
Ag_07
AG
I wanna see JV stick to the plan Javier just put in his lap.

Power pitching and attacking with the FB then throwing hard spin to keep them off balance.

If he starts trying finesse the CB and use the soft stuff I want a mound visit and Maldy to step up and keep him in line.
Teddy Perkins
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

OMG, Sparky at the end is ****ing hilarious.
Farmer1906
AG
He threw 66% fastballs in start 1 which is way up from the 50% he was most of the year. He was not throwing the slider. 28% down to 13%. I am not so sure the mix matters that much if the location is off. Too many middle middle or uncompetitive pitches for JV's standard.
jg07
AG
The Vegas favorite has lost each game this series. We're favored by Vegas tonight.
Cromagnum
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

As much as I would like to see this kind of redemption for him, we are going to need Garcia on speed dial.
AustinAg2K
Jet Black said:

May have already been posted but the Astros have had a 5-0 lead in 3 of 4 games.
Baseball can be a funny sport, so we may not win, but we are clearly the better team.
Buck Compton
AG
Cromagnum said:

FrioAg 00 said:

As much as I would like to see this kind of redemption for him, we are going to need Garcia on speed dial.
How in the world would Philly have been favored for game 2??
JDUB08AG
AG
Verlander is going to mow! Law of ****ing averages folks.
Ag_07
AG
True

Just seems like he sometimes tends to switch up the approach just to switch it up. Like 'Oh it's the 3rd time I need to throw more big hooks and soft stuff'.

I think Smoltz mentioned it last night and it was spot on. A pitcher shouldn't deviate from the plan unless dictated by the hitters.
Wabs
AG
Buck Compton said:

Cromagnum said:

FrioAg 00 said:

How in the world would Philly have been favored for game 2??
Because they were still stroking Wheeler for his NLCS performance and vastly underrating Framber.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
1836er
AG
Burn-It said:

Oh NO, they're pulling out the baby blues for game 5...

Blech... and aren't those supposed to be away uniforms anyway?
CFTXAG10
AG
If I could sign up for JV to give us 5 innings of 2-3 run baseball right now I would
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

True

Just seems like he sometimes tends to switch up the approach just to switch it up. Like 'Oh it's the 3rd time I need to throw more big hooks and soft stuff'.

I think Smoltz mentioned it last night and it was spot on. A pitcher shouldn't deviate from the plan unless dictated by the hitters.
Maybe, but I think he's setting them up for that. The big hooks are the hardest to hit. He's not going to get chase or freeze them if they are expecting it and can identify it.

I think the plan needs to get outs however you can. Don't worry about length. Keep putting up zeros until you can't. Then let the reinforcements come in.
Cromagnum
AG
I would be good if we countered with our tequila sunrise unis.

First Page Last Page
Page 2146 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.