***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,318,359 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Street Festivals and Watch Parties | Houston Astros (mlb.com)
BMX Bandit
What do you mean by going on? like bars or restaurants? Or something sponsored by the city?
Pappy Van Winkle
AG
Any of the above really. We went to Opening Day and they had some sort of street fest along the first base side. It was decent but not overly well attended.
Pappy Van Winkle
AG
Thanks, I saw that before I came here to post and didn't find it very helpful.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm sure most bars nearby will have things going on. Check out Little Woodrows Eado.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Get hype bros

Farmer1906
AG
Jomboy and Jake both picked the Astros.
Plouf picked the Phillies but said he doesn't believe himself.
Jake going with Kyle Tucker for MVP.

I know we hate them and I do too, but I also enjoy their baseball content. Them, the Baseball is Dead Pod (Carabas & Dallas), and some of the statcast nerds (Mike Petriello) on Baseball Dimensions are my go-to when needing my baseball fix.
Ag_07
AG
That podcast is actually really good. Not a jomboy fan but those three ditch the Yankee bias and Trevor Plouffe is pretty spot on with his takes. It's very good discussion.

Another interesting point they brought up is because the Phil's defense sucks they may turn to defensive replacements when up late. But if they lose the lead with their questionable BP then they no longer have the bats to hang with us.

Honestly I actually think Dusty gives us a HUGE advantage. If we're looking at a game that comes down to managerial decisions give me playoff Dusty over Thompson any day of the week and twice in Sunday. Thompson is gonna have some very tough decisions to make and he's gonna have to get every one right.
The Porkchop Express
AG
kegstand said:

Speaking of Rockets, it was cool seeing Clemens throw out the first pitch against the Yankees as an Astro/Yankee. Too bad we used Oswalt last series too. Who do we think we'll see this weekend?
Mitch Williams. Give him $10,000 to come out there in Philly gear, play the last pitch of the World Series he lost to Joe Carter. Have him take off the Philly gear and he's got Astro gear underneath, then let him throw a wild pitch that hits Bryce Harper right in the beard.

Don't mention Williams' stats with the Astros, however.

But seriously,

Terry Puhl - who balled out like no other Astro before him in the 1980 NLCS
Nolan Ryan - cliche, but 1980 was his first year with the team

or
get one of JR Richard's kids to throw it out, and casually mention that if JR hadn't had his stroke, the Astros would have swept the Phillies in 1980

Found this on YouTube - Mitch Williams dropping the F bomb on Dykstra at some signing. Get you some, Wild thing!

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
CFTXAG10
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

is this good?
KTAG05
AG
I don't see Angel Hernandez so maybe..
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
BCSGrubber said:

I don't see Angel Hernandez so maybe..
who was behind home for alcs? He was pretty blatant in calls going one way
linkdude
AG
Interesting here
Jbob04
AG
Is JV pitching Friday and Framber on Saturday?
Moe Jzyslak
AG
It's pretty solid. Pat Hoberg and Tripp Gibson are both in top 5 for call accuracy. Jordan Baker and Lance Barksdale are in like the top 25.

Hoberg is the most accurate HP umpire in MLB, and is 94th percentile in consistency.

Gibson is 97th percentile in accuracy, 91st percentile in consistency

cone
AG
it's probably just me

but I think whoever wins game 1 wins the series
KTAG05
AG
BMX Bandit
cone said:

it's probably just me

but I think whoever wins game 1 wins the series

Astros have never won a game 1 in World Series
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
is Nola better than wheeler?
The Porkchop Express
AG
linkdude said:

Interesting here

Phillies just activated Mike Schmidt.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
FrioAg 00
AG
Going in I think vegas has it right, Stros at 60-65% chance to win

If we go 2-0 in Game 1 and 2, I think our odds jump north of 85% or higher. Our pitching is too good to need multiple wins in a row.

If we split, I think our odds don't move a lot. It's essentially a 5 game series and they get home field, but our veteran team isn't very impacted by home field.

The only thing that can't happen is 0-2
The Porkchop Express
AG
Glad there's no game today, because it's a thrice-****ty day in Astros history

2021 - Game 1 loss to the Braves
2005 - swept by the White Sox

and the most egregious of all

1987 - Houston Oilers owner Bud Adams announces his NFL team will not leave Houston for Jacksonville, after agreements are made to increase seating capacity and add luxury suites to the Astrodome. This sets the wheels in motion that would change the appearance of the Dome, removing the giant centerfield scoreboard and Judge Hofheinz' now-vacant right field apartment.
k20dub
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I'd be fine with the game on the 31st being delayed an hour or two. Get home from trick or treating just in time to put the kids down and eat their candy while watching the game.
AustinAg2K
They need to update the rules where rain outs are forfeits by the home team. These crap ass NE teams need to get with the program and put a retractable roof on their stadiums.
Nino Brown
Quad Dog said:

Wildmen06 said:

Isn't the Saturn V inside its own building protected from the weather?

How are they treating it badly?
It sat outside rotting until 2007, then they had to spend $2.5 million to refurbish it. Now it sits inside a really ugly metal shed.
JSC:

KSC has a really cool setup of it featured in their visitor center:

&ct=g

tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

That podcast is actually really good. Not a jomboy fan but those three ditch the Yankee bias and Trevor Plouffe is pretty spot on with his takes. It's very good discussion.

Another interesting point they brought up is because the Phil's defense sucks they may turn to defensive replacements when up late. But if they lose the lead with their questionable BP then they no longer have the bats to hang with us.

Honestly I actually think Dusty gives us a HUGE advantage. If we're looking at a game that comes down to managerial decisions give me playoff Dusty over Thompson any day of the week and twice in Sunday. Thompson is gonna have some very tough decisions to make and he's gonna have to get every one right.

Talkin Baseball and Baseball Today have some great podcasts
Farmer1906
AG
The more I think about it, the more I would put Smith on the roster over Seth. I think the scenario where Smith comes in and makes an impact is more likely than Seth.

Any time there are 2 outs in an inning and a lefty up, Smith makes some sense assuming the pitching in has already faced 3 batters. On the flip side, Seth is one of many righties who gets righties out. Is he coming in over Pressly, Montero, Abreu, Neris, Stanek, Brown? Nope. What about Garica or Urquidy? Maybe, but maybe not.

Its the last spot on the roster and not going to decide the series, but I like to do all the little things in hopes they add up.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Ag_07 said:

Talkin Baseball and Baseball Today have some great podcasts
Good on Youtube too.
texasaggie2015
AG
Quote:

The more I think about it, the more I would put Smith on the roster over Seth. I think the scenario where Smith comes in and makes an impact is more likely than Seth.
Careful... I got blasted for even mentioning this as a possibility
redline248
AG
I wonder how engaged, or how much work, the Astros have guys like Smith doing during the times they aren't on the roster. I would assume they keep everyone working and locked in, in case needed.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
redline248 said:

I wonder how engaged, or how much work, the Astros have guys like Smith doing during the times they aren't on the roster. I would assume they keep everyone working and locked in, in case needed.
I don't care if he's pulling all nighters for the entire month. Don't hand Dusty that loaded gun...he will shoot himself in the foot.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Dont think we'll see seth or smith regardless. Seth is a way better pitcher though.
AustinAg2K
Ag_07 said:

I don't get the hate for Jomboy. Yes, he covered the 2017 scandal pretty heavily, but he covers baseball and it was the biggest story out there. He's also made videos about other teams whistling or the runner stealing signs at second, etc. His video break downs are generally extremely well done, and provide a lot more detail than ESPN/MLB/etc. Also, (and I haven't watched all his stuff), I've never heard him say the Astros should forfeit the title. He pretty much just reports this is what happened. He also consistently says the Astros are the best team in baseball.
First Page Last Page
Page 1862 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.