***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,318,387 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't know how anyone doesn't like Machado.

Being in the Orioles and now the Padres I never did much of an opportunity to watch him but since watching this postseason I'm a huge fan.

Guy can flat out play and while he has some swagger in him he's not the overly clownish showboat like Soto and some of the other younger guys.

Dude is a gamer and a joy to watch!
texasaggie2015
AG
He has a track record as a dirty player which is why a lot of folks don't like him
Farmer1906
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

He has a track record as a dirty player which is why a lot of folks don't like him
what kind of stuff?
bigjag19
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Baggy and Tuve.

"We have actual MVPs"
jkag89
bigjag19 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Baggy and Tuve.

"We have actual MVPs"
Not good enough, No Salsa for You!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

texasaggie2015 said:

what kind of stuff?
Throwing bats at pitchers. Tried to fight a third baseman for tagging him out on the bases. While with the Dodgers, tried to break a first baseman's ankle by stepping on it rather than the base. Threw bats and threatened to fight an umpire for calling a bad strike. There's countless examples.
Mr.Bond
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

While with the Dodgers, tried to break a first baseman's ankle by stepping on it rather than the base.
i remember this now. Thank you.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
spadilly
S

Playoff off days…

Quad Dog
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

texasaggie2015 said:

what kind of stuff?
Throwing bats at pitchers. Tried to fight a third baseman for tagging him out on the bases. While with the Dodgers, tried to break a first baseman's ankle by stepping on it rather than the base. Threw bats and threatened to fight an umpire for calling a bad strike. There's countless examples.
Cromagnum
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The playoffs are so weird.

The Indians and Yankee's season will be decided with a matchup of Aaron Civale vs Jameson Taillon. Two guys with career ERAs around 4. Expect no freebies and a **** ton of breaking balls tonight.

Both managers have hard choices tonight. If they lose the starter in the second inning do they use Bieber or Cortez on short rest? You can't really afford to play the "save them for the LCS" card as you have to win. And you can't let a bad random starter dig you a hole either. These guys are on short leashes. And both pens are used up.

It's not a hard decision. You use your best guns to win the current fight. You get up to 7 games to sort things out for the next fight.
bearkatag15
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The playoffs are so weird.

The Indians and Yankee's season will be decided with a matchup of Aaron Civale vs Jameson Taillon. Two guys with career ERAs around 4. Expect no freebies and a **** ton of breaking balls tonight.

Both managers have hard choices tonight. If they lose the starter in the second inning do they use Bieber or Cortez on short rest? You can't really afford to play the "save them for the LCS" card as you have to win. And you can't let a bad random starter dig you a hole either. These guys are on short leashes. And both pens are used up.

If the game gets postponed to tomorrow I bet each team goes to a different starter
McInnis
AG
Machado doesn't hustle
Faustus
Being Johnny Hustle isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Project Gemini
AG
Taillon is from The Woodlands for those of you that like random local sports facts.
k20dub
AG
Marvin, were you just on 790? Guy just called and said he was on the plane right next to Julia.
linkdude
AG
I'm wondering the same. Beat me to the punch to ask, k20.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

It seems to me this concert died like a candle in the wind
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

As long as we're still standing.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

As long as we're still standing.
Crocodile Rock
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
That video. WOW

I remember several of those events, I guess I never bookmarked in my head as belonging to one player.
lurker76
The Porkchop Express said:

honestly, i didnt know yordon had a cannon until like a month ago.
Yordan is turning into Dave Parker. Big power hitter who also hits for average and has a cannon for an arm.

If you're too young to remember him, Parker was 6'5 230 lbs, Had not quite as much power as Yordan, but won two batting titles in the 70s back to back to back seasons (.338, .334, 3 seasons of 30+ homers and 9 seasons of 90+ RBI.

Here he is gunning down the Angels' Brian Downing in the All-Star Game in 1979 with the ball bouncing 9 feet in the air off the AstroTurf

And unable to find a pop up in the outfield, and then destroying Jim Rice trying to get to third in the same game. joe Morgan playing second, and Astro Craig Reynolds at shortstop!

Thanks for posting this with the links. I forgot how much I used to love watching the All Star game every year. Now, I don't pay any attention to it. Watching Gary Carter block the plate reminded me of Pete Rose taking out Ray Fosse. The players all cared, because they took pride in the game and played like it. Being a native Houstonian, I always rooted for the National League and enjoyed the wins.
CFTXAG10
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I guess thats why they call it the blues
AggieLumberjack
AG
Not a fan of concerts at MMP but this seems awfully premature. Baseball Gods will be offended.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Machado is a little *****
CFTXAG10
AG
AggieLumberjack said:

Not a fan of concerts at MMP but this seems awfully premature. Baseball Gods will be offended.
My guess is they let it stay pending as long as they could before Elton's team needed an answer
Mr.Bond
AG
AggieLumberjack said:

Stros in 5
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG
Do we want to play NY or CLE?

At first blush, we'd want Cleveland, right? Their offense leaves quite a bit to be desired. With our plus defense, we should negate any pros to "just putting in play". But they have a rather filthy bullpen. Starting-wise, I would say their 1-2 punch is strong, but after that, it trails off quite a bit. The Yankees have a much better offense and better starting pitching (a 1-2-3 punch if you will). They're much more prone to strike out and don't play as good of defense (screw you, DRS). Plus their bullpen is a very distant 3rd between us, Cleveland, and New York.

Outside of the on-the-field stuff, how sweet would it be to eliminate the Yankees for the 4th time?
The Porkchop Express
AG
I had those exact same feelings growing up in the 80s. I lived for the All-Star game and seeing all the guys I only read about in the paper, seeing how much applause whoever the token Astro or 2 was in those games. They did seem to try a lot harder. I loved seeing all the different uniforms together as well.

Here's a condensed version of JR RIchard's 2 scoreless innings at the 1980 All-Star game just 3 weeks before his stroke. His battery mate is Johnny Bench. Keith Jackson & Howard Cosell on the call.

And the entire '86 All-Star game at the Dome with Glenn Davis, Kevin Bass, Mike Scott, and Dave Smith all making the team and a starting pitcher duel of Dwight Gooden and Roger Clemens. This is actually kind of a tragic broadcast to watch because it's the last game Dick Howser of the Royal ever participated in - Al Michaels and Tim McCarver note a few times that he is messing up signals when changing pitchers. He had an undiagnosed brain tumor and missed the rest of the season, tried to come back in 87 but couldn't handle it and wound up dying a few months later.

Starting lineups cued up here, man I miss J Fred Duckett!

Funny how much applause the Rangers get, cuz we were all Texas pals back then.
Rickey Henderson and Dave Winfield got booed for being Yankees, even back then.
The booing of Tommy LaSorda is friggin epic. Sax and Valenzuela too.
The cameraman totally screws up the NL reserves.

AL starting lineup

CF Kirby Puckett - Hall of Fame
LF Rickey Hendreson - Hall of Fame
3B Wade Boggs - Hall of Fame
C Lance Parrish
1B Wally Joyner (rookie)
SS Cal Ripken Jr. - Hall of Fame
RF Dave Winfield - Hall of Fame
2B Lou Whitaker
P Roger Clemens

NL Starting lineup

LF Tony Gwynn - Hall of Fame
2B Ryne Sandberg - Hall of Fame
1B Keith Herandez
C Gary Carter - Hall of Fame
RF Darryl Strawberry
3B Mike Schmidt - Hall of Fame
CF Dale Murphy
SS Ozzie Smith - Hall of Fame
P Dwight Gooden

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

At first blush, we'd want Cleveland, right? Their offense leaves quite a bit to be desired. With our plus defense, we should negate any pros to "just putting in play". But they have a rather filthy bullpen. Starting-wise, I would say their 1-2 punch is strong, but after that, it trails off quite a bit. The Yankees have a much better offense and better starting pitching (a 1-2-3 punch if you will). They're much more prone to strike out and don't play as good of defense (screw you, DRS). Plus their bullpen is a very distant 3rd between us, Cleveland, and New York.

Outside of the on-the-field stuff, how sweet would it be to eliminate the Yankees for the 4th time?

I think we'd take Cleveland fairly easily if our pitching keeps up. We have enough timely hitting and depth.

New York scares me only because it's what the MLB wants, and it's 3 games at that flukey park. Just seems like a recipe for a "Astros got screwed" headline.

Also I dont think Cleveland is ready for the moment yet. Our experience would win out.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I think we'd take Cleveland fairly easily if our pitching keeps up. We have enough timely hitting and depth.

New York scares me only because it's what the MLB wants, and it's 3 games at that flukey park. Just seems like a recipe for a "Astros got screwed" headline.

Also I dont think Cleveland is ready for the moment yet. Our experience would win out.

I don't think we have any business calling their park flukey.

Johnsy3
AG
Another trip down memory lane, this time to the day the Yankees started hating us:

Fun fact: Colby Rasmus holds the postseason record for career OBP (.571), SLG (1.038), and OPS (1.610) in 35 PAs.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I don't think we have any business calling their park flukey.

The jet stream to RF is absolutely a fluke....our wall at the same distance is 20' tall and has no wind
First Page Last Page
Page 1561 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.