***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,332,665 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hoolia
redline248
AG
I was just looking at the pitching matchups for tonight and had a small thought.

Luis is 7-5 with ERA of 3.81. Syndergaard is 5-7 with ERA of 3.84. Wasn't he a free agent last offseason? Did he reject an Astros offer? Not sure if we officially went after him, but I like to think he's playing "woulda coulda shoulda" right now.
Big Al 1992
AG
OPAG said:

Other than being 39 years old coming of TJ and that we have a massive lead in the division and we are seeking to have him not worn out by the playoffs. the answer is no!

This works out great for JV - take some time to rest - get a couple stress free innings in of work at the All Star Game, then get ready to dominate second half.
Wonder if Click and Crane would be willing to do a Clemons type deal, maybe not next year, but after that - only pitch at home.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
He lives in Cali why would he not want to pitch there…
MaxPower
Understood. Those guys were also studs when they left and Yuli is a dud. There's a right way to handle it. I'm not in the FO but they should have met with him 1 on 1 a month ago to let him know he needs to produce or we have to look at other options. Maybe that already happened, who knows.

None of those guys will require "trading the farm" to acquire. That was the whole point I was making. And they are way more than a slight upgrade at 1B. That speaks less to how good they are and more to how awful Yuli is. A 1B with an OPS+ below 100 is next level sad. That means he's below average offensively amongst all positions (including broke down catchers and slappy SS) at a premium offensive position.
htxag09
AG
redline248
AG
Let's just put it out there...

Last 28 days (23 games, 80 AB) .275/.326/.500, 4 HR, 10 RBI and 5 walks. However, even after a month of looking like a real player, he's improved his season totals .233/.285/.392. Or, to put it bluntly, he was SOOO BAD for the first half of the season, his recent surge is not enough to get rid of any caution we have that he's going to be close to the player he was last year.

aw, why'd you edit?
bearkatag15
AG

Framber looking good
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
MaxPower
redline248 said:

Let's just put it out there...

Last 28 days (23 games, 80 AB) .275/.326/.500, 4 HR, 10 RBI and 5 walks. However, even after a month of looking like a real player, he's improved his season totals .233/.285/.392. Or, to put it bluntly, he was SOOO BAD for the first half of the season, his recent surge is not enough to get rid of any caution we have that he's going to be close to the player he was last year.

aw, why'd you edit?
Further, that just puts him in line with his statcast projections. In other words, water has found its level. Where he's at as of today, taking the totality of the season, lines up with the expected numbers. There's no reason to believe the last month continues. He will have some hot streaks and cold streaks and probably wind up as a sub .300 OBP, sub .400 slugging 1B.
MaxPower
Silent For Too Long said:

This isn't a video game where you can just slot better numbers over worse numbers and move on. Your talking about replacing one of the core elements of this team's golden years, who won the frikken batting title last year.
I'd also add that if the front office can't handle the idea of moving on from an aging veteran then they need to get out of the business of signing guys that are 34+ to multi-year contracts. Father Time is undefeated.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Trevor Story just got hit on the hand (similar to Bobby Whit swing / foul / hit by pitch). Leaving the game
EastCoastAgNc
AG
k20dub
AG

Get draped up and dripped out fellas
redline248
AG
As an Astros and baseball fan...I'm bummed that I won't get to see JV pitch or Yordan in the HR Derby

I get it, though
Ag12thman
AG

Still love George Springer. Wish he was still ours.
redline248
AG
I watched it live. Also that inning, Garrett Stubbs put down a bunt single, stole 2nd and scored on a single through the infield. He's hitting .278 in 21 games
fullback44
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I don't mind this for Verlander.. with our record I'm also for limiting his pitch count in games for the 2nd half of the season if it helps keep him fresh, we need his arm rested for the post season

Any word on McCullers ? If he comes back to his old form fairly quickly we will be tough to beat in the post season
EastCoastAgNc
AG
fullback44
AG
Diaz w the big fly! Good start
Mathguy64
AG
Diaz showing the 2 hole is to his liking.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I knew it. Great job Dusty!
gambochaman
redline248
AG
I mean, what idiot bats Diaz 2nd amirite
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
redline248 said:

bearkatag15 said:

I know I said I wouldn't care to complain, anymore, but I'm sick so I want to b-tch. How hard is it to put Pena 2nd and Diaz 5th or 6th?

Classic texags
Mathguy64
AG
Another K for Trout.
Ag_07
AG
Another walk for Luis
bearkatag15
AG
Well this isn't ideal
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Mathguy64
AG
Less than optimal start for Luis. Needs to throw strikes
amercer
AG
Maybe just let the worst team in baseball try to hit it?
cap-n-jack
I guess the game has already started. How did we score?
gambochaman
AG
Altuve walk, diaz bomb
Eso si, Que es
Bump, can't stand to see braves tthread above ours, during a game
fullback44
AG
Nice play by Peña for out 3
Harry Dunne
Silent For Too Long said:

MaxPower said:

He isn't good. His batting average sucks. His OBP is embarrassing. He has no power. His batter ball metrics support that he can't hit and it isn't getting better. His defense is also deteriorating. All of this should be unsurprising given his age. I'd absolutely start any of those 3 guys over him, especially Cooper and Walker (who are both superior defensively by any metric as well).

I find it fascinating we could move on from Springer, Cole and Carlos motherfrickin Correa but Yuli is the guy we can't quit? Please.

The difference is we didn't bench those guys to move on from them.

This isn't a video game where you can just slot better numbers over worse numbers and move on. Your talking about replacing one of the core elements of this team's golden years, who won the frikken batting title last year.

I'm no saying we don't do it or shouldn't do it, but surely you can understand some trepidation in the decision. Also, it's all about making the right trade. Is it worth trading the farm to slightly upgrade 1B? Of course not.
Great post.

The world is full of MLB2K warriors that have never been part of a real team of any type and therefore don't understand the human element of making a move like that.

Yuli is probably actually 42 years old and his time is coming soon, but you don't just cast a guy like that aside without giving him more than a fair chance to break out of the slump.
Mathguy64
AG
Nice play by the hippie in LF.
First Page Last Page
Page 598 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.