***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,332,558 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On the topic of trade deadline, unless Brantley or Yordan are seriously injured to the point where it will impact the playoffs, I'm OK with just focusing on upgrading the pitching a bit. You can never have too many good pitchers in October.
texasaggie2015
AG
I get what you're saying, but these guys want to win. It's a business and they understand that. I can see both sides to the argument.
Ag_07
AG
Absolutely and I'm not saying Yuli is safe. For what's out there I don't think it's worth it.

Now if you're talking about adding Vlad Jr or Pete Alonso then I think the guys would be ok seeing Yuli take a seat but for the guys that are available I just don't see it being worth A) giving up prospects for and B) rocking the boat chemistry wise for.
MaxPower
He isn't good. His batting average sucks. His OBP is embarrassing. He has no power. His batter ball metrics support that he can't hit and it isn't getting better. His defense is also deteriorating. All of this should be unsurprising given his age. I'd absolutely start any of those 3 guys over him, especially Cooper and Walker (who are both superior defensively by any metric as well).

I find it fascinating we could move on from Springer, Cole and Carlos motherfrickin Correa but Yuli is the guy we can't quit? Please.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Intentional walk on an 0-1 count...even the WS announcers are fed up
Ag_07
AG
Alright then

Guess we'll just DFA Yuli and Odo at the same time.
Mathguy64
AG
Now it makes more sense. JV Thursday, then Tuesday for the ASG on regular rest. Then he meets the team in Seattle.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Post game went off on him. Keep in mind the WS owner who loves Tony owns the network their games are on. Ozzie DGAF
texasaggie2015
AG
Ag_07 said:

Absolutely and I'm not saying Yuli is safe. For what's out there I don't think it's worth it.

Now if you're talking about adding Vlad Jr or Pete Alonso then I think the guys would be ok seeing Yuli take a seat but for the guys that are available I just don't see it being worth A) giving up prospects for and B) rocking the boat chemistry wise for.
Fair enough
Farmer1906
AG

You see there where the issues are, right? We're avg to elite almost everywhere except Catcher and First Base.

The organization has made it clear they like Maldy, but stuff that doesn't show up in WAA. We have Lee trying to break through and Diaz doing well in AAA.

That leaves first. Yuli is 38 and on the last year of his deal. JJ doesn't seem to be the answer. There are options out there that are clear upgrades. Josh Bell makes so so much sense.

Think how salty this lineup would be:
Altuve
Tucker
Alvarez
Bregman
Bell
Brantly
Pena
Meyers
Maldonado

The 2017 lineup was so good because top to the bottom there was no weakness. (9 guys 100+ OPS+ and 7 of them 120+). This would be similar except maldy is in it.
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Ag_07 said:

Fair enough
And that's why I looked at the trade market yesterday for a rental 1B that also plays outfield. Won't cost as much and, while not "replacing" Yuli, it affords the team flexibility and another bat.

Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

You see there where the issues are, right? We're avg to elite almost everywhere except Catcher and First Base.

The organization has made it clear they like Maldy, but stuff that doesn't show up in WAA. We have Lee trying to break through and Diaz doing well in AAA.

That leaves first. Yuli is 38 and on the last year of his deal. JJ doesn't seem to be the answer. There are options out there that are clear upgrades. Josh Bell makes so so much sense.

Think how salty this lineup would be:
Altuve
Tucker
Alvarez
Bregman
Bell
Brantly
Pena
Meyers
Maldonado

The 2017 lineup was so good because top to the bottom there was no weakness. (9 guys 100+ OPS+ and 7 of them 120+). This would be similar except maldy is in it.

<insert Office Space "THANK YOU!" gif>
EastCoastAgNc
AG

False start, JV not staying this series
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

That makes no sense.

Here is the league average on the first pitch.

It usually is not swung at, but when it is not, it gets hit well.

After getting down 0-1, things flip heavily.

After 0-1 the league average:

On 0-1 specifically the league average:

Better than all after 0-1, but still.

Tony is an idiot.
texasaggie2015
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

That makes no sense.

On 0-1 specially the league average:

Tony is an idiot.
I know we question Dusty's mental capacity at times, but I think the WhiteSox might legitimately have a manager with dementia going on. That's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with for his decisions. Either that or he manages drunk.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

You're underselling Yuli

Yes he's struggled with the bat so far but don't forget he's a damn good defensive SS and veteran presence. You have to think about clubhouse chemistry and all that when it comes to benching a vet and clubhouse favorite like Yuli.

You really wanna bench Yuli for Garrett Cooper, Christian Walker, or CJ Cron? C'mon now

I know it sounds like little league BS but I can't imagine benching Yuli is gonna go over well with team leaders like Altuve and Bregman. They throw to him every game and there's a comfortability there that is touchy to mess with.
That's All-Star Garrett Cooper & CJ Cron

texasaggie2015
AG
If we add CJ Cron we could say the lineup has Cron's Disease with all those runs
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
MaxPower said:

I find it fascinating we could move on from Springer, Cole and Carlos motherfrickin Correa but Yuli is the guy we can't quit? Please.
Those were moves done over the off season and the player made the decision to move on....very different than taking a veteran glue guy out and saying thanks for everything but kindly piss off.
redline248
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

If we add CJ Cron we could say the lineup has Cron's Disease with all those runs
His numbers away from Coors are a huge red flag

40 games - .229/.296/.399

That's basically Yuli
Silent For Too Long
MaxPower said:

He isn't good. His batting average sucks. His OBP is embarrassing. He has no power. His batter ball metrics support that he can't hit and it isn't getting better. His defense is also deteriorating. All of this should be unsurprising given his age. I'd absolutely start any of those 3 guys over him, especially Cooper and Walker (who are both superior defensively by any metric as well).

The difference is we didn't bench those guys to move on from them.

This isn't a video game where you can just slot better numbers over worse numbers and move on. Your talking about replacing one of the core elements of this team's golden years, who won the frikken batting title last year.

I'm no saying we don't do it or shouldn't do it, but surely you can understand some trepidation in the decision. Also, it's all about making the right trade. Is it worth trading the farm to slightly upgrade 1B? Of course not.
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I tried not to laugh... as bad as the joke is, I still did it.
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

That makes no sense.

On 0-1 specially the league average:

Tony is an idiot.
I know we question Dusty's mental capacity at times, but I think the WhiteSox might legitimately have a manager with dementia going on. That's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with for his decisions. Either that or he manages drunk.
bearkatag15
AG

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
redline248
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I know I said I wouldn't care to complain, anymore, but I'm sick so I want to b-tch. How hard is it to put Pena 2nd and Diaz 5th or 6th?
gambochaman
AG
Is there cause for concern with JV?
Ag_07
AG
It's funny...One second the ASG is nothing but a pointless joke of a popularity contest and the next it's the reason to go get a guy.

I'd still just roll with Yuli over acquiring either of those guys. Especially Cron from Coors Field. Still pass

Now earlier you mentioned Josh Bell. That I can probably get behind.
OPAG
AG
Other than being 39 years old coming of TJ and that we have a massive lead in the division and we are seeking to have him not worn out by the playoffs. the answer is no!
"only one thing is important!"
gambochaman
AG
Ok thanks my BAS likes to flare up
EastCoastAgNc
AG
redline248 said:

bearkatag15 said:

I know I said I wouldn't care to complain, anymore, but I'm sick so I want to b-tch. How hard is it to put Pena 2nd and Diaz 5th or 6th?
Dustied
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Astros win it all in a sweep of whoever faces us
EastCoastAgNc
AG

4 hours!
First Page Last Page
Page 597 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.