***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,332,334 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Quote:

We have a backup 1B and player for the future his name is JJ Matejevich
Maybe it's just me but I'm not super high on JJ. Of course I hope I'm wrong.
They have been trying to do some platooning with him. Look at his splits. 5 PA vs LHP, 25 PA vs RHP.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Im just going to say it now,

There are going to be a bunch of very disappointed folks on here at the end of the trade deadline when we only (maybe) add a bullpen arm.

Unless something major injury wise happens between then and now we aren't picking up a contributor or a bench bat. We have a backup catcher his name is Korey Lee. We have a backup 1B and player for the future his name is JJ Matejevich. We have a starting CF his name is Jake Meyers
It will be interesting to see what happens, I firmly believe Crane will want to go after someone. Especially if the Yanks add someone like Benetindi (spelling) I am willing to wager we add a position player and I hope we add a LH reliever, but that I am not as confident on.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah count me in the camp that thinks we stay as-is with position players unless Yordan's situation is worse than we thought.

I do think we end up adding pitching though in the form of a LH bullpen arm and possibly an upgrade at starter.

We just have too many bodies and guys stacked up at OF and pitcher that Click has to find some way to consolidate and move some guys.
W
AG
so the bench for the playoff roster would be:

some combination of Diaz, Dubon, Chas, Matijevic, and Korey Lee ?

that seems very shaky...knowing ahead of time that the catching position will have to be pinch hit for in close games
chico
AG
W said:

that seems very shaky...knowing ahead of time that the catching position will have to be pinch hit for in close games
Siri will be on the playoff roster. Super option for pinch-runner and/or 9th inning defensive replacement.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Dusty on 790 just said the imaging on Yordan showed no new damage, so they hope it will e a short thing. Target the Yankees double header, but won't rush him. Brantley is improving and looking to start hitting / swinging today.
Farmer1906
AG
On 790 just now.

Dusty says they want/expect Yordan back by the Yankees series. His hand has been bothering him for a month or so. Doesn't seem like a major concern just something they want to get right.

He also said Brantley will start swinging today. Don't want to rush him, but want him back after the All Star game.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I will make an addendum to my trade post in terms of I hope we offload some 40 man roster guys who are just clogging up space. I don't even necessarily mean for major league guys just maybe like 3 for 1 prospect type moves or something like that
Farmer1906
AG
chico said:

W said:

Siri will be on the playoff roster. Super option for pinch-runner and/or 9th inning defensive replacement.

How does a player that is about to get traded to another team get out on our playoff roster?
chico
AG
Farmer1906 said:

chico said:

W said:

How does a player that is about to get traded to another team get out on our playoff roster?
if that happens, then I'll retract my prediction!
Ag_07
AG
That's what I'm thinking.

Also the rotation has been good but these moves need to be all about the playoffs. Who can we trust to start come playoff time?
agproducer
AG
Ag_07 said:

Also the rotation has been good but these moves need to be all about the playoffs. Who can we trust to start come playoff time?

Playoffs SP trust: JV, Framber, Urquidy
RP: LMJ, Javier, Stanek, Montero, Neris (sort of) and Pressley (sometimes, velo needs to come back up)

I like Garcia, but he was really shaky last year. I don't trust Odo. Send him to the bullpen for the playoffs to eat innings if we get way behind. I have LMJ as a RP because we don't know what, if anything, we will get from him this season.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

chico said:

W said:

I looked out of curiosity, and yikes is Siri bad vs LHP. I like Siri, and wish it could work out for him, but it might be best to see what we can get for him.
Deluxe
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Im just going to say it now,

There are going to be a bunch of very disappointed folks on here at the end of the trade deadline when we only (maybe) add a bullpen arm.

Unless something major injury wise happens between then and now we aren't picking up a contributor or a bench bat. We have a backup catcher his name is Korey Lee. We have a backup 1B and player for the future his name is JJ Matejevich. We have a starting CF his name is Jake Meyers
Who? Who are the disappointed folks going to be?

Most of us reasonably expect this to be a quiet deadline. I know I do. We're extremely good. We can win the WS as is. Our farm is a little thin and we don't have a ton of big bullets to fire via trade. It's very unlikely that we're going to make a big splash acquisition.

But it's also fun to discuss names that could potentially be available and make the team better. This is a message board after all. If you don't want to participate in trade chatter, then don't. But stop chastising those who do. You can make your points without your condescending grandstanding schtick.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

let's add some data

wRC+ vs LHP
Team114 (7th best)

Altuve 212
McCormick 162 - does this warrant a part-time platoon in LF with Brantly?
Pena 148
Meyers 143 - only 15 PA, but hit lefties well last year too
Alvarez 137
Tucker 135
Brantly 116
Gurriel 112
Diaz 109
Bregman 80 - this is concerning. 100% should not be top 5 when facing a left-handed starter
Maldonado 70
--
Lee 93 (only 3 PA)
Matijevic -17 (only 5 PA)

wRC+ vs RHP
Team 120 (3rd best)

Alvarez 229
Bregman 153
Altuve 143
Tucker 142
Brantley 134
Meyers 121
Pena 113
McCormick 90
Gurriel 86
Diaz 76
Maldonado 54
--
Lee 218 (only 6 PA)
Matijevic 118 (only 25 PA)

I don't quite see the concern. We're probably one of the most balanced teams on paper. However, these few minutes of research shows we should be altering our lineup based on the starting pitching.

I would say no to another OFer, but Hell Yes to a lefty slugging 1B. I wonder if Lee would be an option at first when facing a RHP?
I hear ya. I narrowed my focus onto our main seven hitters. Obviously Chas hits lefties well but we've shown very little interest in platooning him and who knows if he'll be a factor for PT in the playoffs.

My main thing is wanting teams to think twice about bringing in a lefty to face the middle of our order. Right now it's too easy. Yordan and Bregman are both much much worse against lefties than righties. Cashman is probably looking to add another bullpen lefty right now for that reason alone.

I agree that we should separate Bregman and Yordan in the lineup and would also love to bring in a bat that pounds lefty pitching.
astros4545
AG
agproducer said:

Ag_07 said:

Playoffs SP trust: JV, Framber, Urquidy
RP: LMJ, Javier, Stanek, Montero, Neris (sort of) and Pressley (sometimes, velo needs to come back up)

I like Garcia, but he was really shaky last year. I don't trust Odo. Send him to the bullpen for the playoffs to eat innings if we get way behind. I have LMJ as a RP because we don't know what, if anything, we will get from him this season.

LuAce Garcia will be #3

Mark my words

Do not doubt him
FrioAg 00
AG
Agree that LMJ is the biggest wild card. He could be anything from a 4th reliable Starter to an unreliable relief pitcher.

If it's not him than it's got to be Javier or Garcia. Frankly I am just really hopeful we'd have those guys as relief - which makes the whole pen better.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I agree, I trust him much more than Urkeeding
Ag_07
AG
I don't trust Urquidy for shlt.

He throws too many bad strikes and he'll get rocked. He doesn't fool anyone.

So for me I think adding a #2/3 starter to insert behind Framber is big.

If they can package some of these 40 man roster bodies with a young pitcher like Urquidy, Javier, Abreu, etc to land a quality starter I'm all for it.
texasaggie2015
AG
Urquidy has actually been pretty dang good against teams that aren't the Mariners this year
astros4545
AG
Ag_07 said:

If they can package some of these 40 man roster bodies with a young pitcher like Urquidy, Javier, Abreu, etc to land a quality starter I'm all for
There is no 2/3 starter out there better than Garcia/Javier for what we'd have to give up

You want to get an Ace and turn Framber into a #3, thats a different option
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I don't believe we need to trade anyone as mentioned above but I just don't trust him when it comes to playoffs.

SP depth of:
JV
Framber
Urquidy
Garcia
Javier
Odorizzi
McCullers

Is more than enough for regular season. Only way I make a trade for SP is if it is dealing Urquidy and other 40 man guys for a 2-3 type guy
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

If they can package some of these 40 man roster bodies with a young pitcher like Urquidy, Javier, Abreu, etc to land a quality starter I'm all for it.
I think Javier could be that guy. I think luACE could be too. But I don't trust either 100%. The window is open so lets go for it! We need to go out and find a stud #1-3 type. The problem is most guys like that aren't available. The ones that are will cost you some serious prospects. Maybe... just maybe this will work.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
He might be affordable for us
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

let's add some data

wRC+ vs LHP
Team114 (7th best)

Altuve 212
McCormick 162 - does this warrant a part-time platoon in LF with Brantly?
Pena 148
Meyers 143 - only 15 PA, but hit lefties well last year too
Alvarez 137
Tucker 135
Brantly 116
Gurriel 112
Diaz 109
Bregman 80 - this is concerning. 100% should not be top 5 when facing a left-handed starter
Maldonado 70
--
Lee 93 (only 3 PA)
Matijevic -17 (only 5 PA)

wRC+ vs RHP
Team 120 (3rd best)

Alvarez 229
Bregman 153
Altuve 143
Tucker 142
Brantley 134
Meyers 121
Pena 113
McCormick 90
Gurriel 86
Diaz 76
Maldonado 54
--
Lee 218 (only 6 PA)
Matijevic 118 (only 25 PA)

I don't quite see the concern. We're probably one of the most balanced teams on paper. However, these few minutes of research shows we should be altering our lineup based on the starting pitching.

I would say no to another OFer, but Hell Yes to a lefty slugging 1B. I wonder if Lee would be an option at first when facing a RHP?
I hear ya. I narrowed my focus onto our main seven hitters. Obviously Chas hits lefties well but we've shown very little interest in platooning him and who knows if he'll be a factor for PT in the playoffs.

My main thing is wanting teams to think twice about bringing in a lefty to face the middle of our order. Right now it's too easy. Yordan and Bregman are both much much worse against lefties than righties. Cashman is probably looking to add another bullpen lefty right now for that reason alone.

I agree that we should separate Bregman and Yordan in the lineup and would also love to bring in a bat that pounds lefty pitching.
Kept looking.

Yordan is so damn good, he's got an argument for our best hitter vs lefties too. He has a ridiculous -.203 in xSLG vs SLG.

What really sticks out is Bregman having some serious bad luck too. For his career (including this year) his wRC+ vs L is 20 points higher than vs R. Maybe we're overblowing it. It'll all come out in the wash.

And for all this talk of unluckiness, Altuve, Chas, Pena, & Meyers have gotten luck vs lefties.

Circling back to the start. Go get a lefty bat and preferably one with a couple of years of control. If they truly ban the shift, lefties are going to see their value jump. Guys who can get lefties out will see a jump too so lets get some arms as well.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Facing Nolan is available for rent starting this Friday:

Will cost you $19.99 though

174 minutes run time is a marathon of a documentary.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Facing Nolan is available for rent starting this Friday:

Will cost you $19.99 though

174 minutes run time is a marathon of a documentary.
IIRC, it will be on amazon too eventually.
Ag_07
AG
Hope your right.

When he's out there he's that dude but here it is the ASB and we've yet to see him and he's still only throwing live BP.

Love Lance and what brings to the table but it's hard AF for me to count on him to be out there. For me it's like whatever he gives us is icing on the cake but we can't sit on our hands and count on him to be the guy we need.
MaxPower
Add me to the list of those who would be disappointed. 1B is such a glaring hole that should be easy to fill. How much can Garrett Cooper, Christian Walker, or CJ Cron cost to acquire? I get how any given team might be unreasonable but there are numerous crappy teams with better veteran 1B than we have. It's simply inexcusable to stand pat there.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
What is your opinion to do with Yuli? Honest questions here; include him in the trade, sit him on the bench, platoon him?
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Beat40
bearkatag15 said:

Well, according to MLB, in the last 15 games he's batting .314 with a .874 OPS.

Maybe he's coming around.
Ag_07
AG
You're underselling Yuli

Yes he's struggled with the bat so far but don't forget he's a damn good defensive SS and veteran presence. You have to think about clubhouse chemistry and all that when it comes to benching a vet and clubhouse favorite like Yuli.

You really wanna bench Yuli for Garrett Cooper, Christian Walker, or CJ Cron? C'mon now

I know it sounds like little league BS but I can't imagine benching Yuli is gonna go over well with team leaders like Altuve and Bregman. They throw to him every game and there's a comfortability there that is touchy to mess with.
First Page Last Page
Page 596 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.