***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,332,368 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Pretty impressive the Merrifield had that streak going. Pretty rare these days
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Farmer1906
AG
Are we sleeping on Framber since JV is doing so damn well?

Since 2020 when he broke out as our ace, here is where he (and our other top arms) stand:

ERA since 2020 (min 200 IP)
1. Corbin Burns - 2.30
2. Shane McClanahan - 2.65
3. Sandy Alcantara - 2.67
4. Carlos Rodon - 2.70
5. Max Scherzer - 2.71
16. Framber Valdez - 3.06
25. Lance McCullers Jr - 3.35
26. Cristin Javier - 3.36
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MaxPower
I hope Benentindi gets traded somewhere because he's a prime target for us as long as he doesn't have a QO. Basically a hybrid of Uncle Mike and Reddick.
MaxPower
Also I'd love to get Cooper. He has been consistently solid if injury prone. Doesn't seem like he'd cost much and he solves 1B for next year with one last year of control.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MaxPower said:

I hope Benentindi gets traded somewhere because he's a prime target for us as long as he doesn't have a QO. Basically a hybrid of Uncle Mike and Reddick.

I saw something from Jon Heyman yesterday that said the Yankees were after him but the price was too high. I would love to steal him from the Yankees at the deadline. I hope Click goes all in at the deadline.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

White looks good. Charcoal does not.

I'm doing to disagree with you - I like the Charcoal. If they do white pants with the Charcoal tops, it's going to look fresh.
spadilly
S
Off days…

bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Are we sleeping on Framber since JV is doing so damn well?

Since 2020 when he broke out as our ace, here is where he (and our other top arms) stand:

ERA since 2020 (min 200 IP)
1. Corbin Burns - 2.30
2. Shane McClanahan - 2.65
3. Sandy Alcantara - 2.67
4. Carlos Rodon - 2.70
5. Max Scherzer - 2.71
16. Framber Valdez - 3.06
25. Lance McCullers Jr - 3.35
26. Cristin Javier - 3.36

Are you meaning Ace....after JV? Because JV is our #1 Pitcher/Ace
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

White looks good. Charcoal does not.

So did they do away with the gaudy "All Star" Jersey's of the past and are doing a more uniform look but team names? Will they wear these in the game or just before like in the past?
Not sure. I would much prefer this (uniform color pattern) with each Teams City/Name and not the gaudy All-Star jersey.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Not reading the article....but funny that they think its going to keep him out when they dont know what his injury even is...Astros stated it isnt a Hamate issue
OKCAg2002
AG
That is purely speculation. Click bait.
The Porkchop Express
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Well, I just realized I'm a tired old man because I kept thinking, "Luis Castillo from the Marlins still plays?" But apparently he retired 12 years ago.
Life is better with a beagle
BCEDAg
AG
Why would the Rangers even consider trading for Gallo? If they do I feel bad for their fan base for their owners/general manager making questionable decisions like this. Glad I'm not a Ranger fan. Sure makes me appreciate what decisions Crane and Click make that usually benefit the team and make solid financial sense.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
BCEDAg said:

Why would the Rangers even consider trading for Gallo? If they do I feel bad for their fan base for their owners/general manager making questionable decisions like this. Glad I'm not a Ranger fan. Sure makes me appreciate what decisions Crane and Click make that usually benefit the team and make solid financial sense.
Mitch Garver, their starting DH is having forearm surgery and is out the rest of the year. He's hitting .207 with 10 HR and 24 RBI. Those are some Gallo-esque numbers if I've ever seen them. Their bench is terrible, but since they spent all that money in free agency, ostensibly to compete for a playoff spot, I guess they can't just write off the season at this point and not make a change.

They know what Gallo can do and he's clearly not made for NYC. If the yankees are willing to eat his salary, you slap him back in the lineup and try to make something of it. They're only 4 games out of the wild card with half a season to go.

Mathguy64
AG
They are 4 games back and 5 teams are between them and the 5th spot. That's fools gold.

They should go for it! Spend crazy money and more importantly trade away youth in their farm system.
jkag89
I think mnay Rangers' fans would like Gallo back through a reasonable FA contract after this season but If the TexAgs Rangers thread is any indication of the fan base as a whole most would be furious if they traded away any player with the least bit of promise to obtain him or any other possible rental simply to make a run at the final wild card spot this year.
The Porkchop Express
AG
If the TexAgs Rangers base is an indication of things, they should drop a neutron bomb on the stadium and get back to watching the Cowboys fail in the playoffs.
Farmer1906
AG
Here is a quick way to waste a bunch of time.

Baseball Savant - Search a Player - Game Log - Statcast - Filter for HR

One of the Longer Dongs I've seen. 469' is a lie.

Low liner piss missle

Bagwell is a Wizard

46-degree LAs usually don't leave the yard

First Pitch Tuve Tater (do we have a name for his lead-off HRs?)

Space City Liftoff

Another First Pitch

Teddy Perkins
AG
Farmer1906 said:

First Pitch Tuve Tater (do we have a name for his lead-off HRs?)

Another First Pitch

The ol' Altuve Ambush.
Marvin
AG
It's an off day, and the trade deadline will be approaching soon, so let's talk hot stove.

My trade targets, giving reasonable consideration to the expected ask and not wanting to break the bank (or trash a weak farm system that the front office is still trying to restock):

These are rentals and shouldn't break the bank but do address a current weakness.
  • Andrew Chafin, LH reliever, Tigers, rental, $6.5 million in '22
  • Trey Mancini, 1B/OF, Orioles, rental, $7.5 million in '22
  • Brandon Drury, IF/OF, Reds, rental, $900k in '22
  • Jose Quintana, LHP, Pirates, rental, $2 million in '22 (starter, but maybe used as long reliever?)

Here are several big names that could make sense depending on the deal:
  • Erik Hosmer, 1B, Padres. Signed through '25, but if Click sees the end of Gurriel's prime days maybe SD will eat a bunch of the salary to help address some of their cap space.
  • Wilson Contreras, C, Cubs, rental, $9.5 million in '22. Maybe the rental will devalue the ask, but one proposition I saw had a package of Pedro Leon, Forrest Whitley, Alex Santos and Cristian Gonzalez. Whitley is probably out of that equation now with yet another injury, but it still seems too steep for a rental. I'm not even sure Dusty would play Contreras that much at catcher, so it's definitely too much for a DH.
  • Josh Bell, 1B/DH, Nationals, rental, $10 million in '22. The Astros cost would have to be cheap in my opinion, because we assume Brantley and Alvarez will be healthy and swinging the lumber into the fall as DH options. Bell only plays 1B, which would free Gurriel up to also contribute at 2B or 3B as needed, but this move seems like a bad fit by itself.
  • Whit Merrifield, 2B/OF, Royals, $7 million with buyout of $500k in '25. Having a bad year, not a position of need, and would cost. But, I've always like the guy so there's that.
MaxPower
I'd much rather have Garrett Cooper than Hosmer. He's a better hitter, better 1B and can play the OF a bit (albeit poorly). He's also under control for 1 more year and won't cost big dollars to retain.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Hosmer's contract has aged really poorly. He's not been good for them. I would put him at the bottom fo the 1B option list.

I wonder if the White Sox will try to sell...if so Jose Abreu might be on the market. I'm sure they have some potential relief options too.
W
AG
ol' Hosmer...another cautionary tale about a player and his contract year.

in his contract year with the Royals in 2017, he posted a career best .882 OPS

in his 5 years in San Diego, his average OPS has been .735 --- this year it's .716

and age-wise that shouldn't have happened. He was 28 in his first season in SD
MaxPower
Also why you don't want to give contracts that long. I don't really know what the deal is with him. He continued to have similar advanced metrics, though his K rates went up a bit. His problem is the same as it always was, he doesn't generate loft. He was able to turn a few of those line drives into HRs in his best year but it wasn't sustainable.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Marvin said:

It's an off day, and the trade deadline will be approaching soon, so let's talk hot stove.

Josh Bell, 1B/DH, Nationals, rental, $10 million in '22. The Astros cost would have to be cheap in my opinion, because we assume Brantley and Alvarez will be healthy and swinging the lumber into the fall as DH options. Bell only plays 1B, which would free Gurriel up to also contribute at 2B or 3B as needed, but this move seems like a bad fit by itself.

Yuli can help at 2B and 3B….did we hit the sauce early on this off day? Yuli hasn't ever played meaningful innings anywhere but first but now you beieve he needs to be spelled at first and that will allow him to play other positions…..
redline248
AG
He was a SS/3B in Cuba, right? Albeit, he was younger, but I bet he could fill in at 3B in a pinch, if needed.

Reality is that it would probably not be needed.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Lots of cool stuff on this date in Astros history, in addition to the win over the Chumps last year.

July 11, 1985: Nolan Ryan strikes out Danny Heep of the Mets for his 4,000th strikeout. Heep famously yelled "It's not going to be me!" at Nolan before the game.

July 11, 1972: Billy Williams of the Cubs goes 8 for 8 in a doubleheader vs. the Astros and sets a still-standing NL record with 10 straight hits in the process.

Prosperdick
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Lots of cool stuff on this date in Astros history, in addition to the win over the Chumps last year.

July 11, 1985: Nolan Ryan strikes out Danny Heep of the Mets for his 4,000th strikeout. Heep famously yelled "It's not going to be me!" at Nolan before the game.

July 11, 1972: Billy Williams of the Cubs goes 8 for 8 in a doubleheader vs. the Astros and sets a still-standing NL record with 10 straight hits in the process.

My uncle saw him at a gas station in the off season and got him to sign it for me. He knew what a huge fan I was so very cool gift I have to this day:

Marvin
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Marvin said:

Josh Bell, 1B/DH, Nationals, rental, $10 million in '22. The Astros cost would have to be cheap in my opinion, because we assume Brantley and Alvarez will be healthy and swinging the lumber into the fall as DH options. Bell only plays 1B, which would free Gurriel up to also contribute at 2B or 3B as needed, but this move seems like a bad fit by itself.

Yuli can help at 2B and 3B….did we hit the sauce early on this off day? Yuli hasn't ever played meaningful innings anywhere but first but now you beieve he needs to be spelled at first and that will allow him to play other positions…..

Yuli has played 2B and 3B with the Astros when needed. As stated in a post above, that's where he played in Cuba. Notice I said "as needed" as in an injury or something. I also said that it really wasn't a great fit since Bell only plays 1B as far as I know. No flexibility there, unlike some of the other options I mentioned.

And please read closer next time, or at least don't be so obtuse. No need for that.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's incredible! Good for that kid! Who was the pitcher for the Yankees and maybe angels that only had one hand and not a full arm on the other? Seem to remember reading a book about him as a kid but obviously don't remember it very well.
Jackal99
AG
Jim Abbott. Played at Michigan, threw a no-hitter for the Yankees.
First Page Last Page
Page 594 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.