***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,334,191 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Devers has had a very good 1st half. And Boston owes us a fruit basket because we charged them up. They have no chance at catching NYY but they are now in the first WC slot. And it all started when we came to Boston.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Maldy has had multiple homers, a few doubles, an infield single and stole first

We are living in the upside down
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Meanwhile in the minors
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Meanwhile in the minors

Siri: if you ever play for Dusty Baker, just tell him how cool those wristbands are, but don't pimp too hard. You'll play everyday
LonghornDub
Harry Dunne said:

RED AG 98 said:

3 for 3 and a walk for Maldy
Lee getting called up has turned Maldy into a combination of Pudge and Ichiro.
He's looked like Yogi effin' Berra to me. I love it.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

Ag_07
AG
Siri has absolutely raked since going down.

I really think if someone can find Siri regular playing time he can be alright. Hopefully there's a team out there who agrees.
Mathguy64
AG
Or it's a case of him being exposed to ML pitching for half a season and MiL pitching now looks appetizing to dine on.

If he could hit .240 with his speed and defensive ability he would stick in a heartbeat. But he's got to learn to hit .240.
MaxPower
Ag_07 said:

Siri has absolutely raked since going down.

I really think if someone can find Siri regular playing time he can be alright. Hopefully there's a team out there who agrees.
Classic AAAA player.
redline248
AG
I, personally, would like to give him another shot in Houston. Dubon is probably safe bc his ability to play infield, and there isn't much room for Siri, though.

What are the chances we re-sign Brantley, again? Is Siri worth playing in LF a few games when Yordan is at DH?

Edit: or would he go to center and Jake go to left?
Beat40
Mathguy64 said:

Or it's a case of him being exposed to ML pitching for half a season and MiL pitching now looks appetizing to dine on.

If he could hit .240 with his speed and defensive ability he would stick in a heartbeat. But he's got to learn to hit .240.

At the very least cut down on the strikeouts and draw walks. He could hit closer to .220 if he had a decent OBP like Bregman did before this hot streak.

His value is defense and being on base. I don't care if it's a hit or walk, but he's got to get on base one of those two ways, and right now cutting down strikeouts is where he could make the most gain.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

Mathguy64 said:

At the very least cut down on the strikeouts and draw walks. He could hit closer to .220 if he had a decent OBP like Bregman did before this hot streak.

His value is defense and being on base. I don't care if it's a hit or walk, but he's got to get on base one of those two ways, and right now cutting down strikeouts is where he could make the most gain.

What are the odds of that?

Since AA ball he's been above 30% K% except for the current 7 game run in AAA right now. His BB% rate hasn't been great either. 2% and 6% his 2 spots in the bigs.

Unless he's willing to commit to a whole new philosophy for his approach, I don't see it.
redline248
AG
He chases a lot, right? Impatience, or can't recognize?
Mathguy64
AG
At least it didn't bounce off his head.
Farmer1906
AG

He's hot tho
W
AG
Frankie Montas scratched from his Saturday start vs. the Astros
redline248
AG
If he could carry a .400 OBP in the bigs like those 8 games...
Jet Black
Need to go 4-2 on this road trip and that would be a bit disappointing. 5-1 or 6-0 preferred.
W
AG
the Astros should see Thor and Ohtani in Anaheim.

going to be a fun series
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Oh man that's scary. He ended up being carted off, hope he has a fast recovery
spadilly
S
I was watching it on tv when it happened. He got up and tried to walk to the dugout, got maybe ten feet, and we down in pain. Tried again to walk and ended up going down again just a few feet later. They brought the cart out and he gave the crowd a few fist pumps and smiled (as much as he could with the brace on) while being carted off.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
spadilly said:

I was watching it on tv when it happened. He got up and tried to walk to the dugout, got maybe ten feet, and we down in pain. Tried again to walk and ended up going down again just a few feet later. They brought the cart out and he gave the crowd a few fist pumps and smiled (as much as he could with the brace on) while being carted off.

I can't believe they didn't put him on the cart to begin with. Seems like something that should be done out of an abundance of caution.
Proudag06
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

spadilly said:

I can't believe they didn't put him on the cart to begin with. Seems like something that should be done out of an abundance of caution.

Or at least no more than a single collapse before you are awarded the cart
Beat40
I'm not saying it's likely, I'm just saying I think it's what he needs to do to stick on a MLB club.
MaxPower
He's basically Jake Marisnick. Great defensive OF, good pinch runner with light pole power but K's way too much without ever drawing walks. Like Jake, he could have a role in a team (hell Michael Taylor starts for the Royals and head basically the same package minus the power). We just don't really need it with Meyers and Chas able to do basically the same thing while carrying more respectable BA's.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
MaxPower said:

He's basically Jake Marisnick. Great defensive OF, good pinch runner with light pole power but K's way too much without ever drawing walks. Like Jake, he could have a role in a team (hell Michael Taylor starts for the Royals and head basically the same package minus the power). We just don't really need it with Meyers and Chas able to do basically the same thing while carrying more respectable BA's.
Accurate, only thing I would add is Jake seems like more of a team guy and without the show boat...so id take him over Siri. What you described above with his "style" just doesnt match in my book
07ag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

reminds me of

https://ts.la/eric59704
EastCoastAgNc
AG
https://www.mlb.com/all-star/ballot

Yordan is barely trailing Shohei...VORE
Harry Dunne
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

MaxPower said:

Accurate, only thing I would add is Jake seems like more of a team guy and without the show boat...so id take him over Siri. What you described above with his "style" just doesnt match in my book
I think this is it mostly. If you look as numbers, not much different than Jake's. I think if he gets a chance at the amount of MLB playing time Jake has, he will eventually be a better and more valuable player. He's got the power and speed to be a 4040 gold Glover if he could ever hit .250.

You just can't pimp out like that when you don't have the results to back it up. A lot of you have defended him because it's fun to watch but I sure as hell wouldn't want him as a teammate striking out half the time and then pissing people off once in a blue moon when you make contact and getting the rest of us plunked.

My guess is he ends up as another Derek Fisher.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15
AG

which teams wins it all from this group? It would be close IMO between the US and Dominican
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
tjack16
AG
Give me a best of 7 series between that US and DR team please
bearkatag15
AG

Fangraphs updated prospect rankings

Yainer Diaz passes Korey Lee. Pedro Leon slips to 6th. Also on Leon, his ETA to be called up is 2025... or when he is 27...

Colin Barber is killing it in A+ ball... .314/.423/.487/.910... I imagine he will be promoted to AA this year
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
First Page Last Page
Page 574 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.