***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,311,744 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
iamtheglove
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MaxPower said:

When you consider defense, he is almost certainly a downgrade. Young catchers need development and his bat isn't enough of an upgrade to take on that project. I'm hoping Lee is a trade piece. No clue what we do with catcher long term but surely we can pick up a veteran through trade or free agency who simply sucks less.

1B should theoretically be easier to upgrade. Mancini is an obvious candidate but I'd be looking at Christian Walker. The stats don't look great but advanced metrics say he's ready to explode. Top 10 in barrels per plate appearance in all of MLB. Unlike Mancini, he's also an elite defensive 1B and under club control 2 more years.

The diamondbacks Christian Walker? He is 31 and is batting .191. Not sure how many guys in the big leagues figure it out at 31
The Beef01
AG
Beau Holder said:

An elite team does not lose multiple series to these Mariners. Coaching and leadership seem like the persistent issues.

And Urquidy.

Glad the division is AL Central terrible suddenly.

I'm not happy about it, but that's very far from the truth that elite teams don't lose multiple series they shouldn't.

The Astros were swept in series last year by the Tigers, Orioles & Rangers….that's just last year and there are plenty of examples going back several years.
Ag_07
AG
So what would we have to give up for Cal Raleigh?

Dude loves MMP
bearkatag15
AG

Not human
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
TarponChaser
Beau Holder said:

An elite team does not lose multiple series to these Mariners. Coaching and leadership seem like the persistent issues.

And Urquidy.

Glad the division is AL Central terrible suddenly.

bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Skipping Javier

4 days rest after throwing 110 pitches.
Beau Holder
AG
Maybe I'm missing something simple, but what is the logic behind making that change? Is Odorizzi on the way back way sooner than expected or something?
Farmer1906
AG
JV wants normal rest and not extra. JV gets what JV wants.
bearkatag15
AG
Also Hunter Brown could be coming soon.

redline248
AG
Who is Josh Miller? The new pitching coach?
bearkatag15
AG
redline248 said:

Who is Josh Miller? The new pitching coach?
Yes he and Bill Murphey are co-pitching coaches
BadAggie
AG
Oh noes looked iffy in an early June series

bearkatag15
AG
Angels are losing again lmao. 1-0 top of the 9th
Beau Holder
AG
They are prime entertainment right now. Over here counting outs like it's a no-hitter.
bearkatag15
AG
Beau Holder said:

They are prime entertainment right now. Over here counting outs like it's a no-hitter.
I kinda hope they tie it up just to lose in extras and be completely heart broken
bearkatag15
AG

Angel needs to retire already...
spadilly
S
Boston beats the Angels 1-0.
14 straight for the halos.
bearkatag15
AG
14 straight Ls for the Halos. Astros maintain the 9.5 game lead
spadilly
S
Crazy stat - the last day we lost a full game in the standings to the Angels was May 1.
bearkatag15
AG
Maybe it's a Mariners thing with Urquidy
bearkatag15
AG
Ags #1
AG
But the mariners arent that good?
Faustus
bearkatag15 said:

Also Hunter Brown could be coming soon.

Not taking into account which of the other Top 10 pitched tonight only one other pitcher in MLB has given up more hits than Urquidy with 76 through this start (Corbin has given up 82 heading into today). This is like the yin to the Gallo thread's yang.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB-leaders.shtml

Urquidy is also lurking just outside the Top 10 in earned runs given up this season with 31. On the bright side he wastes no time, so you're not spending anymore time than the bare minimum watching him suck as far as MLB games go.

From the linked article he's been getting over 8 runs per game in support in the last 10, so at least he's usually a good luck charm.

Quote:

.. . . Urquidy had received 8.47 runs of support in the 10 starts preceding this one. The Astros afforded him three on Wednesday, putting the onus on Urquidy to take control of the game. He refused.

Seattle struck seven hits against him and scored five runs. Four were earned, inflating Urquidy's ERA to 5.04 after 11 starts. Only six qualified starters entered Wednesday's games with an ERA over five. Opponents are now hitting .322 against him with an .894 OPS.

Only 7 players have a batting average higher than the .322 average the league is hitting against him.

It's enough to make one long for Odorizzi.
Breggy Popup
AG
bearkatag15 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Skipping Javier

4 days rest after throwing 110 pitches.
Hope that's not a bad sign. Last game I went to was last year. Sat in the Crawfords, Garcia was pitching and the O's kicked our ass. Friday is our first game this year, sitting in the Crawfords, and Garcia is pitching.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

EastCoastAgNc
AG
A reminder...
OKCAg2002
AG
Any nerds on this thread? I've been using Uzzu.tv to stream games in OKC but the service looks like it went belly up. OKC is considered a Houston market for some reason, so the games are blacked out on the MLB.tv package. I went ahead and got a VPN service and signed up for an MLB.tv trial. It seems to work pretty well on the laptop, but I can't get the games to load on the phone because it says that I'm in an area under blackout restrictions. I turned off location settings and still it won't work.

Any advice? I suppose I can just use my laptop the rest of the season, but I'd much rather use my phone and cast it on the TV.
Deluxe
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

Any nerds on this thread? I've been using Uzzu.tv to stream games in OKC but the service looks like it went belly up. OKC is considered a Houston market for some reason, so the games are blacked out on the MLB.tv package. I went ahead and got a VPN service and signed up for an MLB.tv trial. It seems to work pretty well on the laptop, but I can't get the games to load on the phone because it says that I'm in an area under blackout restrictions. I turned off location settings and still it won't work.

Any advice? I suppose I can just use my laptop the rest of the season, but I'd much rather use my phone and cast it on the TV.

When I lived in okc, I either had to do the laptop VPN method or crush my soul and pay for DirectTV.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

I had luck with using VPN on my iPad with MLB.tv and leaving location turned off. I'm in the blackout area for the Nationals so I had to use that trick a few weeks ago.
OKCAg2002
AG
I couldn't get the iPad to work last night, but I didn't think about turning off location services. I'll try that on Friday. Sounds like the phone option is a no go.
EABC_AG
Tired of series losses to the mariners. I think that's 3 out of 4 series lost to them this year, right?
OKCAg2002
AG
They seem to have our number.
TarponChaser
loma_vista78 said:

Tired of series losses to the mariners. I think that's 3 out of 4 series lost to them this year, right?
I don't think that's correct. I'm pretty sure I heard the commentators saying it's the first series we've lost to them since 2018. Or maybe the first series we've lost to them at home since then.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
at home
Chrundle the Great
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 375 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.