Correa to the TWINS!!!

3,784 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LonghornDub
Classof1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WTF??? Houston Sports man

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-free-agency-star-shortstop-carlos-correa-signs-three-year-105-3-million-deal-with-twins-per-reports/
Right On
LouisHerbertWong
AG
First Watson, then Correa. Banner 24 hours for Houston teams.
Classof1998
AG
Bro!!! Facts!
Right On
tjack16
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

First Watson, then Correa. Banner 24 hours for Houston teams.

Well one of them needed to leave and most Houston fans are happy he's gone.

The other one, yeah that sucks.
pillow
AG
Correa to twins at yearly rate of 34.5million for 3 years, vs. original contract offer by Astros of 160million over 5years (32millionper year) make no sense.

It's either the opt out options after years 1 and 2 (which the Astros reportedly were ready to offer) or he just really didn't want to stay in Houston.

Doesn't make sense to me how this could happen.
Pappy Van Winkle
AG
1. It's the opt outs.
2. This was always about money. He didn't get what he wanted this go round, so he's going to try again next year.

He's an incredible talent, but his tendency to be hurt doesn't line up with what he's demanding salary wise.
FrioAg 00
AG
I think he still wants his 10 year $300m deal that Houston isn't going to give him. So he's basically really just signing a 1 year $35m deal with some insurance if he slumps or gets hurt. He fully plans to opt out and try again.

I also think he's butt hurt the Astros aren't going all in for him, so he took basically the same deal from somewhere else that he could have got here.
Memphis 7
He can (somewhat) blame a bad year on new team. He's punting.

Don't really care, if Peña shows glove work I don't think the drop off will be that much… if any. If Carlos wasn't a 1st overall pick he wouldn't be thought of so highly. /hot take.
annie88
AG
Head scratcher.

Oh well, wish the guy luck.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
kb2001
AG
I didn't think he would stay in Houston, but this contract makes no sense to me. He could have gotten 10y for $300m. I really thought 10y $400m was a possibility for him.

With his injury history, he really made a mistake not securing a longer deal. My only thought is similar to above, that he intends to do this again in a couple years and try to secure the big deal.

Minnesota is also confusing. He's always wanted to land in a big market, why did he end up in MN?

I hope it works out long term for him, but this short contract just seems like a bad idea.
BTKAG97
AG
Way to pull down that long term 3 year contract!
RoyVal
AG
and Minnesota has a 9.85% state tax!
JCA1
AG
Watson and Correa were both about money. Watson reversed course and agreed to go to Cleveland when they offered the new, fully guaranteed contract. Correa went with Minn when they agreed to the opt outs that allow him to become a free agent again at a time of his choosing. Simple as that.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Correa must be VY level dumb.
titanten85
It's a combination of the opt outs and the fact that his agent Scott Boros will not benefit from this contract. His old agent will. Boros will have him on the market next year barring injuries and will push for long term contract. Too many SS to choose from this year and when the lockout happened, Carlos ran out of time. I'm glad the Astros didn't give in to the opt outs. With opt outs after both year 1 and 2, the Twins have no leverage at all. He walks when he wants. Injury, another 35 mill. No injury, Carlos outta here in one year.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Most overhyped FA in a long time
BadAggie
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Not possible
cc10106
10andBOUNCE said:

Francisco Lindor has entered the chat.
htxag09
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

I think he still wants his 10 year $300m deal that Houston isn't going to give him. So he's basically really just signing a 1 year $35m deal with some insurance if he slumps or gets hurt. He fully plans to opt out and try again.

I also think he's butt hurt the Astros aren't going all in for him, so he took basically the same deal from somewhere else that he could have got here.
Was it stated the Astros were willing to do this same deal? I would be shocked if they would have agreed to a 3 year deal with player opt outs after year 1 and 2. It makes no sense, you need some stability. Either we have Correa (or sign Story or someone else) and he's your guy or you start getting Pena valuable time to see if he's your guy or if you need to trade. The Correa deal simply would have put the Astros in limbo and at the mercy of Correa every year. He sucks it up, he's back. He plays well, rinse and repeat this offseason.
Panama Red
AG
cc10106 said:

10andBOUNCE said:

Francisco Lindor has entered the chat.

He was never a free agent.
Cromagnum
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Deer Cote.
W
AG
thread title should read:

Correa to the TWINS...for the next 4 months

----
the Twins know he will opt out after the first year. They want something in return
TarponChaser
Don't the Astros still get a compensatory pick in between the 1st & 2nd rounds of the upcoming draft since they made a qualifying offer to Correa?

I guess the Twins think they can make a run this season but I don't see it. Anyway, there's not a chance in hell Correa is a Twin in 2023 unless he gets hurt and misses a bunch of time which drives down his FA value.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
was just re-reading astros ball, talks a lot about Carlos' background. After the initial sting, glad to see him get paid and wish him well as long as the astros win.

Quote:

I guess the Twins think they can make a run this season but I don't see it. Anyway, there's not a chance in hell Correa is a Twin in 2023 unless he gets hurt and misses a bunch of time which drives down his FA value.
I really think they will clean up on prospects when they trade him to a contender.
TarponChaser
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

was just re-reading astros ball, talks a lot about Carlos' background. After the initial sting, glad to see him get paid and wish him well as long as the astros win.

Quote:

I really think they will clean up on prospects when they trade him to a contender.

Trade him back to the Astros in July when the Twins are still 15 games out of the wild card and the Astros are leading the West by 6 games.
agproducer
AG
Just had to share

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Too bad it was off Wacha.
LonghornDub
For $35,000,000 the twins got a soft oppo field single. For $700,000 the Astros got a hard pulled single……:and a double and a dinger. This way they can also afford some pitching.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.