Banning the Shift

4,382 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ragnar Danneskjoldd
Coog97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I didn't make my point very well... sure, there have been rule changes, but I don't put a change like lowering the mound, while significant, on par with limiting / banning defensive shifts, instituting a minimum number of batters faced for pitchers, starting with a runner on second base in extra innings... or even the designated hitter. I realize that the DH has been around for almost 50 years, but with the other significant changes being (or becoming) very recent, and there seemingly being much more of a willingness to constantly monkey with the rules in ways that fundamentally alter the game, I just fear that it will lead to more of the same... continuing to make the bases bigger, increasing the distance between the mound and home plate, limiting pick-off attempts in a per-game capacity, similar to time outs... and so on and so forth.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I hate banning innovation. But Kyle Tucker will absolutely clean up.

Universally applying rules is different than banning strategies that are meant to counteract opposition strengths. This isn't like lowering the mound, this is more akin to saying you cant substitute in a left handed pitcher to pitch to a left handed batter. Both are strategies designed to nullify a batter's strengths.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
"We need to do X to grow the game that has Tuesday at noon playoff games on a premium channel that most people dont have"
DeangeloVickers
AG
nm
alvtimes
heres what I find odd about MLB push to ban the shift is that MLB is constantly trying to find ways to speed up the game..... along comes the shift that helps defenses collect outs more easily and turn innings over and move the game along..... now lets ban the shift make innings last longer
Coog97
Coog97 said:

I didn't make my point very well... sure, there have been rule changes, but I don't put a change like lowering the mound, while significant, on par with limiting / banning defensive shifts, instituting a minimum number of batters faced for pitchers, starting with a runner on second base in extra innings... or even the designated hitter. I realize that the DH has been around for almost 50 years, but with the other significant changes being (or becoming) very recent, and there seemingly being much more of a willingness to constantly monkey with the rules in ways that fundamentally alter the game, I just fear that it will lead to more of the same... continuing to make the bases bigger, increasing the distance between the mound and home plate, limiting pick-off attempts in a per-game capacity, similar to time outs... and so on and so forth.
And this is exactly what I'm talking about... now it's "experimenting" with moving the location of second base. Let's just keep tinkering and keep tinkering and keep tinkering...
McInnis
AG
Quote:

Shifts became popular to take away a hitters strengths. Hitters need to adjust and learn to beat the shift.
They have done that, and it's part of the problem. Swing for the fences on every pitch, more strikeouts, less contact, and more four hour games.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
McInnis said:

Quote:

Shifts became popular to take away a hitters strengths. Hitters need to adjust and learn to beat the shift.
They have done that, and it's part of the problem. Swing for the fences on every pitch, more strikeouts, less contact, and more four hour games.
Ive never understood why we dont see more players bunt down the third base line if there's no infielders to the left of second base.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.