Jeremy Giambi dead at age 47

2,032 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by i is smart
baseballaficionado
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Jeremy Giambi, the brother of former MLB star Jason Giambi and outfielder for the Oakland Athletics and other teams, died Wednesday, the team announced. He was 47.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/jeremy-giambi-former-mlb-outfielder-dead
DannyDuberstein
AG
Likely suicide.

Not sure what else was going on in his life, but when even this article is like "Jeremy Giambi, brother of MLB star Jason Giambi, oh yeah, but he also played even though he was pretty spare", you wonder if that took any sort of toll
_lefraud_
AG
Jeremy is a great example of why the steroid era shouldn't really matter, when it comes to the HoF. The majority of players were using, or at least tried some sort of PED. Maybe steroids helped get Jeremy to the league, but they certainly didn't help him have the career of even his own brother. Jason was a better player than Jeremy, did Jason just have better juice?
W
AG
the younger Giambi was one of the few players that did admit to steroid use.

when you look at his career...there is a nice power surge in the Oakland years...that wasn't there at the beginning in Kansas City or at the end in Boston.

he slugged .505 in 2002
Max Power
AG

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33268825/former-major-leaguer-jeremy-giambi-died-suicide
Eso si, Que es
Extremely sad news. I can't imagine being at that point that suicide seemed to be the only option. That is the ultimate selfish act to leave loved ones behind wondering.

I pray for his family to find peace.

ETA: I had a friend go see a shrink this week and I told them how proud I was of them. It is not a shameful thing to need to talk to someone. Outside opinions are healthy. Not to rant, but people try to put out a perfect life/image on social media, and that is never the case. We all struggle. Don't believe what people put on instagram/fb/twit, they all struggle too. Don't think you are alone in this world, we are all trying to figure out our way.
Natural antibodies are best antibodies!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Never cared for it being called selfish or cowardly. That is applying rational thinking and judgment to someone who is so incredibly lost that they don't know which way is up. Many of them think they are actually removing a burden from their family
ColoradoMooseHerd
DannyDuberstein said:

Never cared for it being called selfish or cowardly. That is applying rational thinking and judgment to someone who is so incredibly lost that they don't know which way is up. Many of them think they are actually removing a burden from their family
Agree. The type of thinking that calls a person in major depression selfish for acting on suicidal thoughts is why they do it. They don't feel people can understand their problems, most can't and they believe they are no longer a burden to friends and family by ending their life.

Our society still has not come to grips with mental health issues and has never put the resources towards it to really address the issue. Our homeless problem is due in part to our lack of resources put towards mental health.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

Extremely sad news. I can't imagine being at that point that suicide seemed to be the only option. That is the ultimate selfish act to leave loved ones behind wondering.

I pray for his family to find peace.

ETA: I had a friend go see a shrink this week and I told them how proud I was of them. It is not a shameful thing to need to talk to someone. Outside opinions are healthy. Not to rant, but people try to put out a perfect life/image on social media, and that is never the case. We all struggle. Don't believe what people put on instagram/fb/twit, they all struggle too. Don't think you are alone in this world, we are all trying to figure out our way.

Your edit does nothing to overshadow the ignorance of your "selfish" comment. I'm glad you don't understand suicide. I sincerely hope it stays that way. You're one of the lucky ones.
Ag4life80
AG
Good Lord, at his parent's home. Terrible
i is smart
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I've been there and this is so true. Truly something you need to understand when a loved one is going through it. In their head, they're doing it out of love and to no longer burden their family and friends financially or emotionally.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.