Tee Ball practice

6,636 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 3B Paul 97
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My twins are in their first year of tee ball and I'm coaching with a buddy of mine. For those who've done it before what does a tee ball practice look like?

I'm an ex high school baseball coach and he played ball as well in college so we are both very knowledgeable with the game but are both scared out of our mind on how simple this needs to be.

We are thinking practice should be 30-45 min tops. Any suggestions on what to work on, practice plan? I have no idea how to explain to a four year old process of baseball
BSmith03
Keep it very simple and stick to fundamentals. The most important position at the tee ball level is the pitcher. Put your best athlete and fielder there. Most balls are hit are back to the pitcher so that boy will need to be able to field and know what base to tag. Find out who your best athletes are and keep them in the infield. As for practice, making sure they have a basic understanding of the game is where I'd start and then keep it simple with hitting and fielding drills. Break the team up into different groups so the boys don't get bored during practice and start goofing off (that's gonna happen anyways but it helps cut it down). Base running is on the coaches so just work out the cadence with the boys so they're used to the signals. If you have a kid who can catch well put him at first base. In tee ball, the pitcher can't tag the player running to first, they have to throw it to the first base. You need someone who can catch well because a lot of plays are made there. Most outs are force outs so again that's why it's crucial to have a pitcher who can field and tag home or run fast to other bases. Hope that helps! Keep it fun!
TxAg05
AG
It depends on how your little league runs it as well. Our little league there are no outs or scores and everyone bats. It is designed to just get kids out there.

If your league is similar, I would focus on basics like the order of the bases to run, hitting off the tee, and fielding grounders/throwing back to coach. There is little utility in having them throw to each other early on.

I would also hope you can recruit a couple more assistants to help with practice. The more stations you can run and rotate through will help keep their attention span. Hour or less for practice. Frequent water breaks.
3B Paul 97
AG
Don't focus only on winning at this age and most leagues won't keep score. As a coach, you want the kids to want to come to practice and games and sign up the next year. Focus on developing the fundamentals and having fun.

I agree with the other guys having stations to have more reps and less standing around. Rotate stations. You can have hitting off of a tee into a net, a station where they throw to an adult and learn the correct form, fly ball station with wiffle balls and a timed ground ball station. I would have them run to first and tell them the times. Average is around 5 seconds. You then have them field grounders and have the team count the time out loud to see if they can complete the play in that 5 second period. I also had a rule where you always have somewhere to go when a ball was hit. Show them the bases to cover and where to back up. You'll be surprised what the pick up and you avoid having 6 kids go for the ball. It also keeps everyone doing something when they don't get the ball to make it less boring. Teach them to run to the RF grass pass first on a single and to the fence when crossing home as it gives them a target. Use wiffle balls to work on pop flys to get them comfortable.

Yes, you could have the best kids at P or 1st, but the are the kids that get most every ball during a game and it will become boring for everyone else. I would rotate kids between IF and OF each inning and around spots in the field. RF can be more exciting if you teach them how to back up 1st.

On game days, get little plastic buckets with their name on them. for them to put their glove, helmet and water bottle in and place them on the ground in their batting order. I would keep the same order and shift everyone down 3-4 spots every game (bottom few jump to the top), so it gives them all a chance to hit early and it makes it easier for them to stay in order. I would also rotate who got a game ball each game (coaches kids last). They get so excited to have their named called. You'll get stories/pictures of the kids taking their ball out to dinner or sleeping in bed with it.

Please note I didn't always keep it even like that. Starting coach pitch I would rotate around in the majority of the regular season, before having more set slots on the field and order for end of season and playoffs. They are still young and developing so you have to give them some opportunity to improve. I had a kid in first year kid pitch who wanted to be catcher. He would take the gear and work on it, but it was still rough early in the season and parents would complain about him being back there. By the end of the season they would complain if he wasn't back there. He is still catching on his 14u team.

Good luck and have fun!
TxAg05
AG
Agree with everything here. Key is having fun.
mosdefn14
AG
I'm stealing some of the ideas here. Stopwatch, wonderful - my kids wants me to time them running around the couch. Every player has a place to be every play, not sure why I didn't think to bring this concept down to peewee.

Stations are key. If you can have 3-4 stations going at any time, you're doing good. 5-10 minutes tops. No standing around ever.

My league does 3 strikes and then 2 tee swings, so I practice both. I like for each kid to get 30-40 swings in a practice, so a Tee station in RF corner (generally tennis balls), live in LF corner (waffle balls), and live from the plate (game balls). Your kids are young - buy a Tanner or Jugs tee - spread the cost over the next 10+ years and it's not bad. They are much easier for small kids, and more forgiving when they hit the tee (which they will).

Lots of ground ball practice (alligator chomps) including side to side shuffle. Tennis balls - practice catching with naked glove hand. We also use bean bags to practice catching early in the season - it forces the glove closed/doesn't bounce out as easy as a ball. Throws to coach/dads. Encourage Mizuno gloves for the kids - they're real gloves vs. the toys at Academy/Walmart and are already broken in.

My league also does a "dead ball" infield. So we practice running for a ball in the outfield and throwing it in as quick as possible. Giving them a set target (2nd base) seems to work better than closest base or where a cut-off man should be.

As much as having everyone in a position / "live" sucks due to their attention spans, they need to feel where things are (facing the batter, which direction is 1st, etc). I usually do this after a few practices. Fundamentals are great, but the symphony of baseball is much more than simple peewee soccer or basketball back & forth. Watching older kids, getting some games under their belt are important. Mine took great leaps when I started playing Griffey on Super Nintendo with them and talking about situations/plays.
DallasAg 94
3B Paul 97
AG
These guys reminded me of a couple of other things.

Cut off drill: while there won't be many of these this season, it is still a good 3 man drill. Teach the kid in the middle to turn glove side. Also gets them used to throwing and catching with each other.

Baserunning drill: this age is most likely station to station, but you can still team them the 'banana' when rounding the bag and hitting the front corner of the base with their right foot. I would reinforce this with a fun game at the end of practice. Half go to home and the other half to second. These teams then have a relay race where the next person can go when their teammate makes it all the way around. The better they can do those things, the better chance of winning. You also need them to learn how to be runner ready. Let them know they are racing the defense to the bag. Big on the plays to home and the reason I have them run all the way to the fence.

Other after practice fun: I have the kids do a "silly five". The 4-7 year olds have fun with this. They all stick out a right hand and the one in front comes down the line giving everyone five while making funny noises and walking/dancing funny. You'll get a lot of giggles and they will ask to do it after practice if you forget.
JmacAg07
AG
I'm just a few years ahead and I've been the head coach. I think one of the major things, which I believe has been stated was to set expectations that its a recreational league and the purpose should be to have fun. I'm about as competitive as they come, and the only way my wife would let me coach was when I told her that my only goals for the team was

1) Have the kids pay attention and get a little better each practice
2) Have fun
3) Make it so that each kid enjoyed themselves and wanted to come back and play baseball again and hopefully I did a good enough job that they wanted to play with me again. The game is for the kids, when it gets frustrating (and it will) just remember that

I communicated these goals to all the parents of the kids on my team.

Stations are always a good bet, keep the kids as busy as possible as the attention spans are incredibly short.

Recruit as much help as you possibly can.

I always started each practice with a goal that we communicated to the kids(early on talking about having a good attitude, next practice giving great effort, etc)

Then we would run the bases (A HUGE goal of mine for the first goal, was to have every kid hit it off the tee, then run to the correct base) and baserunning drills

Then would split into stations

For tee ball my stations were hitting off a tee into a net (invest in a good tanner tee as somoene recommended above, they hold up, and I'd imagine if you wanted to sell it, you'd still end up in a decent spot, those things can really take a beating)

1) Hitting off a tee into a net
2) Fielding/Throwing drills (stat in a "baseball ready" stance, land the airplane by bending the knees, alligator the glove/hand, then hop on the skateboard to make the throw)
3) Working on catching balls in the air (just light throws maye 10 feet in the air from about 15-20 feet, increasing the distance based on ability). If kids are scared of the ball, try with whiffle and tennis balls at first until they are comfortable.
4) Then we would have group fielding grounders at pitchers mound, 2nd base and then throwing to a kid at first base to at least simulate what a game may be. I'd estimate at least 75% either went to the pitcher or 2nd baseman during games.

Make all of these a game (see how many in a row they can hit right back straight into the net without missing, how many catch in a row) Most kids respond very well when you make things a competition.

I was very up front with the parents on my team, I told them I would send out the lineup a day before each game (batting order and positions). In our teeball league, you would hit your entire lineup each inning. So I would also rotate the batting order moving kids up 3-4 spots each game giving all the kids a chance to hit all over the place. I wanted to send out the lineup so that if parents had any objections to their kids playing pitcher or catcher, I wanted to know sooner rather than later. Also, if they were going to play pitcher or catcher (5 year olds in full catchers gear is hilarious) I wanted them to know and be ready to take pictures and not miss that inning.

It was a really fun season, I had zero complaints and the kids got so much better. It's amazing to watch them grow and really have fun. Also, if you are in the field with them during a game, be ready for anything, and to also have some of the funniest conversations you may ever have.

Good Luck and have fun!

AustinCountyAg
lucking we only have 8 kids on the team, two of them being my own.
mosdefn14
AG
Sheesh, I have 15 on my roster, and we have 20 teams in 2 PeeWee divisions.

8 sounds wonderful.
3B Paul 97
AG
15??? Who did you piss off?
96ags
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

My twins are in their first year of tee ball and I'm coaching with a buddy of mine. For those who've done it before what does a tee ball practice look like?

I'm an ex high school baseball coach and he played ball as well in college so we are both very knowledgeable with the game but are both scared out of our mind on how simple this needs to be.

We are thinking practice should be 30-45 min tops. Any suggestions on what to work on, practice plan? I have no idea how to explain to a four year old process of baseball
Yes, tops.

Have fun
Run the bases
Play catch
Play catch
play catch
Run the bases
Have fun

You know as well as anyone, You can't do anything in baseball without being able to throw and catch. If you get them all to come back out for baseball next year, you have done a great job!

Ps. if you can get your entire team to a high school game, do it! They will learn way more than in practice.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Never have coached tball because I'm not a big fan of baseball at super young ages but one drill I really like is hitting soccer balls off of a tee. Helps promote a more powerful swing as kids need to follow through on their swing to hit a heavier ball. Easier for kids to field a soccer ball too and can make all sorts of hybrid and fun games out of it. Can also use the soccer balls for kids to play catch - a lot of kids will really struggle catching a baseball for a while. I would also have them play catch bare handed with tennis balls. Don't need a bunch of kids throwing baseballs into each other's faces lol. Beyond that, run the bases, keep it light and don't have kids standing around for very long. Recruit another couple of dads to help break things into small groups.
aggielax48
AG
For the love of God, set the tee up out in front of the plate or at least so the tee isn't behind the front foot.
3B Paul 97
AG
Would love to hear how the first pass at coaching is going.
AustinCountyAg
Two games in and it's been pretty good. Toughest part is not getting the kids to tackle each other and dog pile for a ball. Our team consists of over aggressive boys and girls who don't care.

Selfishly speaking my boy is pretty good. Knocked down a ball on the mound with his chest and threw out the runner the other day. Solid hitter and fast. He loves it. His sister…. Not so much. Has only batted once and only stood in the field once also. Complete meltdown the first game. Lol. She's a princess and I can tell she doesn't really enjoy it. However, she's a brainiac so it's a wash in the long run.
3B Paul 97
AG
Good stuff! Have fun with it. It's good having a group that wants the ball. At least they are engaged.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.