Robot Umpires for AAA

3,918 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by fc2112
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AAA Using Robots in 2022

Hopefully, this means we are inching closer and closer to eliminating human error in sports.
AgBQ-00
AG
I like the uniqueness that each ump brings to the strategy of at bats and pitch selection and the game at large. I understand the urge to make everything "correct", but something feels off with having that part removed.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
wbt5845
AG
As I usually say on this topic - I am generally against robotic umpires - but the human ones keep trying to convince me otherwise.
jkag89
Yep. I've gone from completely against it to if the system developed takes into account that the strike zone has depth and not just a two dimensional plane I think I could live with a robo-ump being the one that determines balls & strikes..
Coby
AG
Since the strike zone is 3 dimensional, will we start to see some weird Strike Outs Looking from a sweeping breaking ball catching the back part of the zone? I can't imagine that pitch gets called very often today.
jopatura
AG
I was against it for a long time, but there have been too many big games that have been completely changed by a bad ump calling balls & strikes. It's just not one instance per game either. I can't tell if modern technology with strike cams on the video feeds have made it worse or if the umps just collectively aren't as good anymore.

But egregious blown calls take me out of the game.

If it didn't work out, I would alternatively be okay with appealing a strikeout call for the third strike only.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Pro robots. These guys miss way too many calls. Guys are throwing at levels we've never seen in terms of velocity and spin rate (at least not consistently), and it seems to have become too much for too many umps
alvtimes
not sure Im on board..but Im getting tired off umpires response...... " I call MY strike zone"..... listen....YOU dont have a strike zone..... its clearly defined..... call the defined strike.... if batters dont like the defined strike or pitchers dont like the defined strike.... they can lobby for rule change..... as it currently stands.... i think hitters will voice the most complaints over new strike zine
Beat40
alvtimes said:

not sure Im on board..but Im getting tired off umpires response...... " I call MY strike zone"..... listen....YOU dont have a strike zone..... its clearly defined..... call the defined strike.... if batters dont like the defined strike or pitchers dont like the defined strike.... they can lobby for rule change..... as it currently stands.... i think hitters will voice the most complaints over new strike zine

I actually think hitters will benefit the most at first from a robot strike zone. Those guys have to adjust to a changing strike zone in game and from game to game, and a lot generally do it with success. If they get a consistent strike zone that doesn't change, a lot of pressure is going to move to a pitcher having be more accurate on the edges. I just think it will take pitchers a little longer to catch up.

I guess we'll see.
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

I actually think hitters will benefit the most at first from a robot strike zone.

My brain went the opposite. I thought pitchers would now get the benefit of a MUCH bigger space to throw to. How many times have you seen the strike zone stay below the waist? Now it has to come up a few inches and the pitcher can throw the high heat.
htxag09
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Quote:

I actually think hitters will benefit the most at first from a robot strike zone.

My brain went the opposite. I thought pitchers would now get the benefit of a MUCH bigger space to throw to. How many times have you seen the strike zone stay below the waist? Now it has to come up a few inches and the pitcher can throw the high heat.
Agree, I think the high zone will be a big adjustment to hitters. Not called very often.
Beat40
aggiebrad94 said:

Quote:

This is a good point.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Who is going to call safes/outs on steals (few) or passed balls/wild pitches with runners advancing (much more likely)? You'd have to either have the first or third base umpire, who's positioned 15 feet behind the bag to start, try to catch up to the play. Do you have a home plate umpire back there doing little else?

I can see a system trained to call balls and strikes but not one able to call safes/outs in terms of tags. Not to mention force plays at home (catcher's foot off the plate, say).
Quad Dog
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Who is going to call safes/outs on steals (few) or passed balls/wild pitches with runners advancing (much more likely)? You'd have to either have the first or third base umpire, who's positioned 15 feet behind the bag to start, try to catch up to the play. Do you have a home plate umpire back there doing little else?

I can see a system trained to call balls and strikes but not one able to call safes/outs in terms of tags. Not to mention force plays at home (catcher's foot off the plate, say).
There's still an ump behind the plate, he just gets info in his ear on ball/strike. He can override obvious errors and is there for plays at the plate, etc.
https://www.kulr8.com/digital_hub/robot-umpire-calls-minor-league-all-star-game/video_4b29f662-dae7-53b7-ac78-d43a07763655.html
Furlock Bones
AG
the solution to fixing refs/umps in sports is not taking them away. the solution is hiring, firing, promoting, and demoting much quicker. we need 35 year olds to be calling the biggest games. not 70 year olds.
Quad Dog
AG
Furlock Bones said:

the solution to fixing refs/umps in sports is not taking them away. the solution is hiring, firing, promoting, and demoting much quicker. we need 35 year olds to be calling the biggest games. not 70 year olds.
I view it as the democratization of umpiring. There are like half a dozen guys great at calling balls and strikes right now. If the hardest part of the job is handed off to robot-umps, then it makes the job more open to other guys who can excel at all other parts of the job who might have struggled with balls and strikes.
YellAg2004
AG
I propose that the robot system be named Angel "CB" West as an homage to those three jackholes and all the thousands of calls they have blown over their way-too-long careers, thereby helping to usher in this new age of umpiring.
_lefraud_
AG
Another step in the right direction

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35434317/sources-all-aaa-parks-use-electronic-strike-zone-23
Corporal Punishment
AG
Determined to make the game more boring.
StudAg02
AG
I'm all for anything that can be implemented that eliminates fans questioning every call. I wish there was a way to do it in youth sports. Pretty gross to watch adult fans/parents wine every time they don't get their way. And then their kids see them do it, and the cycle continues.
kb2001
AG
I'm against robot umps. The younger umps in the game today do a really good job. I think the increased scrutiny on umpires given the technology available has made them more precise and accurate. Given the trend and the quality of the younger umps, I'd prefer to give it time. The catcher framing pitches, the pitcher trying to stretch the zone for his low breaking balls is part of the gamesmanship and makes it more entertaining.

The biggest problems we find in umpiring is from older guys who are safe enough in their job that they don't have to be better, and from the crew rotating home plate. Some umps are just better at balls and strikes than others, and they need to be behind the plate more often. If an ump is consistently not performing well behind the plate, or he is no longer performing well behind the plate, he needs to lose that job.
YellAg2004
AG
kb2001 said:

I'm against robot umps. The younger umps in the game today do a really good job. I think the increased scrutiny on umpires given the technology available has made them more precise and accurate. Given the trend and the quality of the younger umps, I'd prefer to give it time. The catcher framing pitches, the pitcher trying to stretch the zone for his low breaking balls is part of the gamesmanship and makes it more entertaining.

The biggest problems we find in umpiring is from older guys who are safe enough in their job that they don't have to be better, and from the crew rotating home plate. Some umps are just better at balls and strikes than others, and they need to be behind the plate more often. If an ump is consistently not performing well behind the plate, or he is no longer performing well behind the plate, he needs to lose that job.
While I agree that the younger guys tend to be much better at balls and strikes, until the league decides to take out the trash (CB, Angel, et al), bring on the robots.

The umpires can ***** about it all they want, but they brought it upon themselves by not policing themselves. While they get a ton of calls right, look how many calls get overturned due to instant replay now. The only "human element" I want deciding the game is the guys on offense and defense. A strike is a strike, a ball is a ball, safe is safe and out is out.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Create a system where there is no accountability for being bad at your job, you end up with robot umps. Bring em on. I welcome the change
ABATTBQ11
AG
This seems like as good a place as any for this:

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/look-mississippi-valley-state-uno-umpire-suspended-by-southland-conference-after-horrific-strike-three-call/amp/

The strikes he calls are absolutely horrific. One is in the dirt and the other is legitimately low and in the opposite batter's box
DannyDuberstein
AG
He showed up the ump on strike 2 by pointing location with his bat and the ump was ready to retaliate. Probably would have called a 50 foot pitch that bounced to the backstop strike 3. The only thing worse than an incompetent ump is an incompetent ump with an ego. And there are tons of them.

Bring on the robots.
fc2112
Yeah, robots don't get angry and retaliate.

Well, maybe in sci-fi movies
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.