MLB final power rankings

1,718 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Porkchop Express
bq85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not that they really matter, but how does MLB.com have Astros #6? How do they have them behind the White Sox, against whom they had a better regular season against a more difficult division and beat them up in the ALDS? I can marginally understand the Rays, except they didn't make it out of the ALDS. Dodgers 2nd and Giants 8th? The Giants had the best record in baseball and finish 8th?

Hard to give much credence to those rankings going forward.
Gal 2:20
The Porkchop Express
Well, from a glass-half-empty viewpoint, it could be that they're going with how many question marks each team's roster has going into 2022. The Astros might lose Correa, Bregman was terrible most of the year and just had surgery - will he be back to 2019 form? LMJ missed the ALCS and the WS injured - will he be back to ace form in '22? Greinke appears to be done, that's your top 2 arms from the beginning of 2021 with question marks - those would be fairly big questions on any team - 3B and SS and SP1 and SP2 from a year ago in question. Plus as much as I love Yuli, he's about to turn 38, the fountain of youth is going to run out at some point.

The Giants are probably 8th because a lot of people thought a lot of their guys were having once in a lifetime seasons all at once, and they flamed out in the playoffs. Their undisputed leader announces his retirement, they rented Kris Bryant, and now he's a FA, Gausman's a free agent coming off a year where he led the league in starts, was an All-Star, and had a 2.81 ERA, and Brandon Belt's a free agent after hitting 29 HR and slugging .597 in 100 games. Crawford was amazing at SS and I loved him in fantasy baseball but he'll be 35 next year and their 2B will be 34. They might legit start the season with different guys at C, 1B, and 3B. That's not good. They sort of look like the mid 2000s Astros, where they keep contending year after year and then everyone gets old and they drop off the face of the planet.
Frok
AG
The final ranking is the Braves won.

bq85
AG
Agree with your thinking if we're talking about a "way too early power ranking" for 2022. But as the "final" ranking for 2021, based on what has been achieved, it makes no sense. I agree with Frok that the Braves are rightly number 1, but for 2021, hard to justify their other rankings.
Gal 2:20
gambochaman
AG
Frok said:

The final ranking is the Braves won.

this

nothing else matters
The Porkchop Express
bq85 said:

Agree with your thinking if we're talking about a "way too early power ranking" for 2022. But as the "final" ranking for 2021, based on what has been achieved, it makes no sense. I agree with Frok that the Braves are rightly number 1, but for 2021, hard to justify their other rankings.
Isn't it kind of pointless to do an end of the year rankings? I mean shouldn't the playoffs and regular season records dictate that?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.