Buster Posey to announce retierment.

2,436 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by agsalaska
Propane & Accessories
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2010 NL ROY
2012 NL MVP
3 X WS Champion
4 X Silver Slugger
1 Gold Glove
and 7 All-star appearances.

Do you think he has done enough to be enshrined in Cooperstown?
powerbelly
AG
Yes, pretty comfortably.
The Porkchop Express
No doubter for Cooperstown. Playing on one team throughout helps immensely. Career .300 hitter too. He's 1 of only 2 career catchers to bat .300 for his career after World War II (Piazza is the other). Joe Mauer sort of qualifies but he stopped catching in 2013 and played until 2018.
jkag89
I'd give him my vote if I had one.
LawHall88
AG
JABQ04
AG
I'd say yes he gets in
Farmer1906
AG
1st ballot. Don't even have to think about it.
_lefraud_
AG
Not a 1st ballot guy IMO

He will get in, but I wouldn't have a problem if he were to be left out, either.
Farmer1906
AG

W
AG
.300 career batting average...as a catcher...as a right-handed hitter...and in that ballpark...

is extremely impressive
Farmer1906
AG
Not even just that. He was 29% better than the average player over his career. League avg for catchers is somewhere between 5-16% below the average player. That moves him up to around 40% better than his catching peers offensively over his career.
_lefraud_
AG
I like to reserve 1st ballot for the absolute greats, which Posey is clearly not.

Fred McGriff can't get in, nor Gary Sheffield yet Posey is considered a shoe in? That's just silly
powerbelly
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I like to reserve 1st ballot for the absolute greats, which Posey is clearly not.

Fred McGriff can't get in, nor Gary Sheffield yet Posey is considered a shoe in? That's just silly
The whole first ballot thing in baseball is so dumb.

He should absolutely be in. It most likely won't be a first ballot guy, but he is better than half the catchers already in the hof.
Farmer1906
AG
_lefraud_ said:

He kind of is when you compare him to catchers. Go back 4 years and compare him to his peers. I'd say Piazza and Pudge are the only 2 guys who you can argue have had better careers.

Shef and McGriff played different positions and at different times. Just because the writers screwed up with them, why should you punish Posey?

The Porkchop Express
McGriff is in the Hall of Very Good. Didn't get to 500 HR, only had one Top 5 MVP year, career high in HR was 37, but was really strong in the post-season (.303, 10 HR in 50 games) and zero Gold Gloves, meaning he was just "a guy" at first. his last year of eligibilty for the HOF (2019), he was a distant 10th with a bit less than 40% of the vote,

Sheffield had a slightly better career. 509 HR, .292 average. .514 slugging, but kinda the same thing - three top three MVP finishes, but never led the league in HR, RBI, runs scored, slugging. Won the '92 batting title, and 1 World Series, but was "ehh" in the playoffs - .248, 6 HR and 19 RBi in 44 games. He hit 40.6% in 2021 in the vote in his 7th year. This next year will be the last for the likes of Schilling, Bonds, and Clemens, so maybe he'll get in after that?

Those two guys for me are like the Dwight Evans and Steve Garveys of the world - really great career, but you were never a guy people thought - best of the best without a doubt.
Aggies2009
AG
Sad to see him go. Awesome career
Farmer1906
AG
_lefraud_
AG
Yadier Molina
Joe Mauer
Salvado Perez

All three of those guys have an argument of being at least equal, and/or "better" career than Posey.

Buster Posey played 1093 games at catcher...good enough for 96th all time.
Farmer1906
AG
Molina - a below-average hitter for his career. He shouldn't sniff the HOF.

Mauer - lower WAR in a longer career and played fewer games at catcher which you "docked" Posey for.

Salvy - good, but not on Posey or Mauer's level. He shouldn't sniff the HOF either.
The Porkchop Express
just waiting for that guy to drop in with the take about the random catcher from the 50s and 60s Twins who deserves to be in the HOF.
powerbelly
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Yadier Molina
Joe Mauer
Salvado Perez

All three of those guys have an argument of being at least equal, and/or "better" career than Posey.

Buster Posey played 1093 games at catcher...good enough for 96th all time.

Posey caught more games than mauer.
_lefraud_
AG
Molina - .280 average over 18 years is below average? Add the 9 GG and he's more deserving than Posey, IMO.

I guess you just missed the season Perez had? Not to mention 5 GG, 3 SS and a WS MVP.

I think Mauer/Posey is a good comparison, Mauer just didn't have the luxury of playing for the Giants.
The Porkchop Express
Molina will make it as well. He's a once in a generation defender, like Ozzie Smith.

Perez has the WS MVP and this year had the best offensive season by a catcher in 50 years. But he is this guy or the guy who was hitting 20 HR a year and hitting .260 a few years back? he's got the foundation of a HoF career, but it's what happens in the next 4-5 years that determines which way he goes.
Farmer1906
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Molina - .280 average over 18 years is below average? Add the 9 GG and he's more deserving than Posey, IMO.

I guess you just missed the season Perez had? Not to mention 5 GG, 3 SS and a WS MVP.

I think Mauer/Posey is a good comparison, Mauer just didn't have the luxury of playing for the Giants.

Molina is a good defensive catcher. If you value that enough then sure, put him in. I think the offensive side is where you get in. If your way to judge a guy good or not by avg then you're far enough behind the times that your opinion isn't accurate. He had a grand total of 6 seasons where he was above 100 OPS+. His top 3 seasons were 137, 129, 124. Posey's career OPS+ is 129. See the difference?

Perez has a career WAR of 15.2. That's it. The avg HOFer is between 50-70.
_lefraud_
AG
Well if Bill James was selecting guys for the HoF, then Gene Tenace would be in with his 136 OPS+ (5th all time).

Just because you pick and choose what stats/metrics you like, doesn't make the ones I like wrong. A guy that hits .280 over 18 years is not a "below avg hitter", I don't care how much you don't like batting average...that's just not accurate to say. Brad Ausmus was a below avg hitter for reference.

And Molina wasn't a good defensive catcher, he was a great one.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I'm in the "No" camp. Posey was a really good player in our time. His Basball Reference similarity score included 4 HOFers: Barry Larkin, Carlton Fisk, Gabby Hartnett, and Ernie Lombardi.

Career avg of .302 is great for a catcher. He played an average of 124 games per season in his career, taking out his first season when he played 7 games. However, he averaged 146.5 games per season in his 25-30 age seasons in the middle of his career.

I'm just not convinced he is a HOF player. Had he played a few more seasons I might could get there but not now. It is possible I could be convinced but then again, I don't have a vote so it doesn't matter. I'm sure he'll be voted in during his 2nd or 3rd try.
Farmer1906
AG
Gene played in the wrong time period. .388 career OBP is studly. 46.8 WAR. He's much much better offensively than Yadi.

Avg is a nice stat, but it's been obsolete for 20+ years. No one in baseball would use it to give value of a player. It's a nice snippet of a player, but doesn't tell anywhere close to the whole story.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I'll disagree with you on BA. It has been used for over 100 years. They keep changing WAR calculations and a players WAR can change numerous times after his career ends. (I'm not saying you claim WAR is infallible or better.Just using it as a more worthless that BA argument). You know what doesn't change? Yep, you guessed it, Batting Average.

You can argue that OPS is more valuable and you wouldn't be wrong. I do like that stat better than BA. Like BA, OPS won't change unless they "re-value" the slugging percentage or something stupid like that.
The Porkchop Express
Batting average is obsolete?

_lefraud_
AG
If batting avg is obsolete, then you need to remove it from you're little graphic there.

W posted about Posey's impressive .300 career batting avg, and it got blue stars, and I'd be willing to bet you were one of them.
Bregxit
AG
Great video about Molina with some eye popping info about just how great he is defensively.

Propane & Accessories
AG
I'll be honest main reason I started this thread was to get everyone's opinion since my dad and I are Giants fans so we are fairly biased. It is nice to see others' opinions on Posey. I will be happy if he gest enshrined but I know for sure that no Giant player will ever have number 28 on their back.
Matsui
AG
100%. Yes.
agsalaska
AG
100%. Yes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.