***Official Houston Astros 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

563,394 Views | 6776 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiEE
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

EastCoastAgNc
AG

These are all middle-middle pitches he crushed (as he should have). It'll be interesting to see how he adapts to big league pitching
Ag_07
AG
In regards to Pena coming up and seeing what he can do

I remember recently an Astros hitting coach say that when a young prospect first comes up hell often tell him not to swing at any breaking ball no matter what.

For one it gives him an chance to see them without having to worry about hitting them. And two if he does swing then he knows his guy is not seeing the ball well.

Always thought that tidbit was interesting.
3B Paul 97
AG
1. Biggio - loved the way he played the game. Ran hard, always dirty, moved to different positions
2. Doran - The guy had a knack for making diving stops on the Dome turf
3. Ryan - Never wanted to miss seeing him pitch as you felt something awesome could happen. Hate it when he left, but at least I could watch the Rangers games on cable
4. Altuve - Plays bigger than he is and has fun doing it. No showboating. Just let the results speak for themselves
5. Bagwell - make a great transition to 1B and could dig the ball so well. One of the best I have seen going 1st to third on a single. Great at picking when to steal.
6. Cruz - consistent hitter, had fun, hat flying off when running for balls, CRUUUUUUUZZZZZ!
7. Berkman - Maybe the best overall hitter the Stros ever had. Could make fun of himself. Also played where the team needed him
8. Oswalt - Awesome 12 to 6 curve. Great difference between fastball and curveball. Solid in the big games
9. Wagner - 5 foot nothing and pumping it in there near 100 from the left side. Game over when he was warming up
10. Springer - all out, all the time. Love guys that have fun playing the game.

Honorable mention: Kerfeld, Lima, Bregman, Puhl, Ashby and Shane Reynolds
Mathguy64
AG
Favorites that I have seen in no particular order

Dierker
JRR
Cesar Cedeno
Cheo
Niekro
Puhl
Thon
Bags, Bidge
Ryan
Scott
Berkman
Wagner
Tuve
Springer
JV

Growing on me: TED and Yordan.

Yes it's more than 10. Sue me.
Marvin
AG
I'll do my list by position... the best All-Astro roster I can field (not necessarily my favorites).

1B- Bagwell
2B- Altuve
SS- Correa (if only Thon had stayed healthy)
3B- Bregman... weakest position in my mind, but give Bregs time to pile up stats
C- Biggio (I don't consider this to be cheating since he did play here)
OF- Cruz
OF- Cedeno
OF- Wynn
SP- Oswalt (what a tough decision, went with career WAR)
RP- Wagner

Springer needed to stay an Astro longer to make my list.
Tucker can play his way on given time.
2B was strong with Joe Morgan, Billy Doran and Biggio

My favorite Astros list includes Charlie Kerfeld, Billy Spiers and Joe Sambito
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Red Five
AG
Marvin said:

Can understand this position to a degree, but at the same time he was drafted by the Astros and was the WS MVP for our first and only championship. If you've got Correa on your list I don't see how Springer misses the cut.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Red Five said:

Marvin said:

Can understand this position to a degree, but at the same time he was drafted by the Astros and was the WS MVP for our first and only championship. If you've got Correa on your list I don't see how Springer misses the cut.
I was about to say the same thing...you cant knock George out for time but have Correa on the list George was actually around the organization longer
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Not this again...
EastCoastAgNc
AG

What is it with these minor league guys doing roids? Don't they know they're gonna get caught?
Mathguy64
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

What is it with these minor league guys doing roids? Don't they know they're gonna get caught?

I bet a significant % do it. The benefits outweigh the cost and most aren't being caught. Look at Mr Chicken and Rice
astros4545
AG
Nothing to lose

EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Did Bryan Abreu transition from pitcher to outfielder?

What pronouns is he using?
TayTrox
AG
Any way to live stream this game? I'm bored and craving baseball.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
TayTrox said:

Any way to live stream this game? I'm bored and craving baseball.
This one is radio only. 790AM has it, you can stream on their website or through iHeartRadio app
Farmer1906
AG
Michael Conforto is still out there. How cheap is he gunna be this year? He got a QO, right?
linkdude
AG
First rib of the year for Tuve
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
linkdude said:

First rib of the year for Tuve
cap-n-jack
I thought France looked pretty good last night but apparently they've already sent him back. Has Whitley pitched at all this spring? I'm beginning to think he doesn't even really exist.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
cap-n-jack said:

I thought France looked pretty good last night but apparently they've already sent him back. Has Whitley pitched at all this spring? I'm beginning to think he doesn't even really exist.
He's still recovering from TJS. He's thrown bullpens, but I don't think he'll be fully clear until this summer.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
linkdude
AG
Peña gets an rbi scoring Maldonado.
CoachRTM
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Not this again...

I think I posted this in last year's season thread, but I know one of the guys who checks for this kind of stuff. (Works directly for the MLB at one of the home parks and monitors both teams)

He caught a prominent pitcher/ team using sticky stuff - the catcher had it on the back of his shin guards and would sticky it up between pitches.

It's still out there, they're just not publicizing it when they get caught
EastCoastAgNc
AG
CoachRTM said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Not this again...

I think I posted this in last year's season thread, but I know one of the guys who checks for this kind of stuff. (Works directly for the MLB at one of the home parks and monitors both teams)

He caught a prominent pitcher/ team using sticky stuff - the catcher had it on the back of his shin guards and would sticky it up between pitches.

It's still out there, they're just not publicizing it when they get caught
If they can get it on the ball, how do they manage to keep it off the pitcher's glove? Are they just not checking the gloves very carefully?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07
AG
How old is Brown? He looks young as shlt
bearkatag15
AG
KTAG05
AG
Almost 24
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Leave him at CF, please.
bearkatag15
AG

RO519
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

9. Wagner - 5 foot nothing and pumping it in there near 100 from the left side. Game over when he was warming up

My favorite Wagner stat is he was naturally a right handed pitcher until he broke his arm at a young age. He then learned how to pitch lefty.

As a lefty that destroyed my arm at a young age, his story always gave me hope.
Marvin
AG
Red Five said:

Marvin said:

The competition in the OF was stronger than at SS for me. Look up their stats. George would have been on the list if he stayed longer. I think you're discounting the guys I chose.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
First Page Last Page
Page 173 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.