***Official Houston Astros 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

563,807 Views | 6776 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiEE
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Crane better lock some guys up because overall he didn't spend a ****in dime this off-season outside of JV
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG
Ive seen this several time in this thread. Correa is 27, not 26.
Farmer1906
AG
6/140 is a major nope. If we wouldn't give Carlos 8, why would we give Story 6.
tjack16
AG

Yeah that's too long for Story
Oyster DuPree
AG
Coog97 said:

Mr.Bond said:

This opt out **** is cancerous

This horse ain't going back in the barn. Mercenary baseball is here.

The **** is out of the barn. Baseball will never be the same
Bulldog73
AG
Yep, and the MLB article says option after year 4.
agproducer
AG
Some lighter fare. RSJ representing the Astros at guess introductory presser for the Giants angered fans.

Nice, Ricky!

Farmer1906
AG
Oyster DuPree said:

Coog97 said:

Mr.Bond said:

This opt out **** is cancerous

This horse ain't going back in the barn. Mercenary baseball is here.

The **** is out of the barn. Baseball will never be the same

It's been around for a little while.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
$33M until they go over the tax threshold. I hope we can sign another bullpen arm or bat. Depending on Maldy, Chas, and Pena at the bottom third of the lineup makes me nervous. There's a lot of potential strikeouts down there.
tjack16
AG
I will say this. A lot of people are freaking out about the stars leaving Houston and the lack of "big" free agent signings.

This organization could have become what the Cubs are if they weren't smart. Cubs won it all in 2016, on the cusp of a dynasty with a lot of young all stars. 5 years later, 1 NLCS trip, now missing the playoffs and in a complete rebuild. If you look back at our 2017 team, it is very comparable to that Cubs team.

However, we have sustained success by identifying international talent, and not making panic moves (like trading Tucker in 2019), or giving out max contracts.

We lose Keuchel, Morton, Cole, Springer, and Correa in a span of 3 seasons and we are STILL division favorites.

To me that shows we can sustain the window of winning through the next decade.
Mathguy64
AG
So things seem settled. Looking at the everyday players the depth on this team seems problematic.

1B Yuli
2B Altuve
SS Peña
3B Bregman
C Machete, Castro

INF depth Daz, Goodrum, Taylor, Lee

LF Brantley
CF Chas, Siri
RF Ted
DH Yordan

OF depth Daz, Yordan, Siri/Chas, Meyers at some point, Taylor if you had to.

This isn't a deep team.

If anyone on the INF goes down you are hoping Daz is healthy to play and past history suggests that's a dicey proposition. If Peña struggles, well, Click and Crane made their bet and there isn't a plan B. Like it or not they have to play the hand they dealt themselves.

OF depth is worse. If anyone goes down for a month that OF is real trouble. If Mike goes down early this gets ugly. Let's don't even think about Ted going down. Yordan cannot afford to have knee issues. Once Meyers comes back it's better. Not great but better.
agproducer
AG
tjack16 said:

I will say this. A lot of people are freaking out about the stars leaving Houston and the lack of "big" free agent signings.

This organization could have become what the Cubs are if they weren't smart. Cubs won it all in 2016, on the cusp of a dynasty with a lot of young all stars. 5 years later, 1 NLCS trip, now missing the playoffs and in a complete rebuild. If you look back at our 2017 team, it is very comparable to that Cubs team.

However, we have sustained success by identifying international talent, and not making panic moves (like trading Tucker in 2019), or giving out max contracts.

We lose Keuchel, Morton, Cole, Springer, and Correa in a span of 3 seasons and we are STILL division favorites.

To me that shows we can sustain the window of winning through the next decade.
I've been saying this. The Astros are built like the Cardinals now. They are built you compete year in and year out. We will know the playoffs are a crap shoot. Look at the Braves last year and the Nats in 2019. They got hot at the right time.

The Astros will just keep replacing parts to keep this moving. They have a nice mix of young and old. They aren't spending too much in FA. Here's to another strong season!
CoachRTM
AG
Our 7-8-9 is going to be a black hole for most of the season, but our 1-6 can carry us to the division title barring any major injuries.

We do have $33 million to spend, so I would expect that we're not done putting the roster together yet.
CFTXAG10
AG
On a lighter note. My new favorite t-shirt came in the mail yesterday
n_touch
EastCoastAgNc said:

Outstanding. Would love for him to make the club. Might as well bring on Beltran as well….oh wait
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

So things seem settled. Looking at the everyday players the depth on this team seems problematic.

1B Yuli
2B Altuve
SS Peña
3B Bregman
C Machete, Castro

INF depth Daz, Goodrum, Taylor, Lee

LF Brantley
CF Chas, Siri
RF Ted
DH Yordan

OF depth Daz, Yordan, Siri/Chas, Meyers at some point, Taylor if you had to.

This isn't a deep team.

If anyone on the INF goes down you are hoping Daz is healthy to play and past history suggests that's a dicey proposition. If Peña struggles, well, Click and Crane made their bet and there isn't a plan B. Like it or not they have to play the hand they dealt themselves.

OF depth is worse. If anyone goes down for a month that OF is real trouble. If Mike goes down early this gets ugly. Let's don't even think about Ted going down. Yordan cannot afford to have knee issues. Once Meyers comes back it's better. Not great but better.

I can't agree with this.

We have Brantley, Tucker, Alvarez, Meyers, Chas, and Siri that can play the OF. That's 2 All Stars, above avg aging vet, a nice utility guy, and 3 young guys who have shown flashes in 2021. The OF is fine. The issue of sacrificing defense for offense potentially and figuring out with young guy is best.

In the IF we have Bregman, Pena, Altuve, Gurriel, Diaz, & Goodrum. Similar to the OF we have 2 All Stars, a very good aging vet, and a young player. Pena is less proven than Siri/Chas/Meyers, but he also more highly thought of as a prospect. If platooned correctly Diaz/Goodrum is going to be successful. Both are very versatile defensively and okay offensively.

I'd say this is a very well constructed team. But even the most well constructed team is going have issues if multiple players go down for extended periods.
Farmer1906
AG
CoachRTM said:

Our 7-8-9 is going to be a black hole for most of the season, but our 1-6 can carry us to the division title barring any major injuries.

We do have $33 million to spend, so I would expect that we're not done putting the roster together yet.

Why a black hole?

Between Chas and Jake they had almost 500 PAs last year and both had a 107 OPS+.

Pena had a 900 plus OPS in AAA in his limited time. He killed it in rookie fall ball. And was decent the last 2 years in LIDOM. ZIPs projects him at .728 OPS. Probably just below league average, but average for a SS.

You got me at catcher. If Dusty insists on player Maldonado 80% and inserting Castro in not idea platoon splits then it'll stay bad. But there is a path for it to not be bad.
tjack16
AG
My prediction if we re-signed Correa was around 96-66 or 97-65. My prediction now is probably 92-70 or 93-69

I think we win the division, and after that who knows. Like Producer said earlier, playoffs are a crap shoot
Sex Panther
AG
Any shot for Conforto at this point?
agproducer
AG
I think they end up with 92 wins. With Correa, I would have said 95.

They will still win AL West. I think they get the 2nd seed.
tjack16
AG
Big Al 1992
AG
This works…

EABC_AG
Bit of a disappointing offseason to say the least. There is still room for this team to improve with all the departures and to me, thats the most disappointing thing. We have an injured Jake Meyers, an aging Brantley and a rookie center fielder with a 32% K rate and the only OFer signed is Lewis Brinson.
Mathguy64
AG
91-71. I just see depth and injuries keeping this team from being better. If they played in the AL East they would struggle to be a WC team. Fortunately they don't.
tjack16
AG

We should be in on one of these
Coog97
Padres shopping Wil Myers. Would be a plus add as a bat, especially in the 6 or 7 hole, but a hack in the field. Brantley/Tucker/Myers would definitely be a below-average defensive OF, BUT, if SD agrees to pick up a sizeable chunk of his $20MM for the season, do you take a flyer? $20MM for 2023, but with a club option with a $1MM buyout.
agproducer
AG
Coog97 said:

Padres shopping Wil Myers. Would be a plus add as a bat, especially in the 6 or 7 hole, but a hack in the field. Brantley/Tucker/Myers would definitely be a below-average defensive OF, BUT, if SD agrees to pick up a sizeable chunk of his $20MM for the season, do you take a flyer? $20MM for 2023, but with a club option with a $1MM buyout.
Interesting thought Coog. It depends on what the Astros would have to give up to get him. Also, SD would need to cover at least half of that 20. He may be a trade deadline target.
Bulldog73
AG
Depends what return they want. A team picking up the 20 million shouldn't have to give much up at all. However, the more the Pads pick up, the higher the ask in return.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

This is a pretty cool moment for dusty
The Beef01
AG
tjack16 said:

We should be in on one of these

Why? We have pitching depth and no need to deal off to a division rival who is notorious for developing players.
tjack16
AG
Ah didn't realize it was trade. Thought they were free agents.

I would also say you can never have too much pitching depth.
Frok
AG
Is Kory Lee expected to make it to the big club at some point this year?

CoachRTM
AG
Farmer1906 said:

CoachRTM said:

Why a black hole?

Between Chas and Jake they had almost 500 PAs last year and both had a 107 OPS+.

Pena had a 900 plus OPS in AAA in his limited time. He killed it in rookie fall ball. And was decent the last 2 years in LIDOM. ZIPs projects him at .728 OPS. Probably just below league average, but average for a SS.

You got me at catcher. If Dusty insists on player Maldonado 80% and inserting Castro in not idea platoon splits then it'll stay bad. But there is a path for it to not be bad.

Catcher is a black hole, but one that you accept as a team when they give you good defense, etc.

Forgive me if I'm not bullish on Peña yet. He was a fringe prospect, barely on any radars who had a decent minor league season, thrust into a starting MLB job because we struck out on two better options. If he's league average for shortstop, I'll eat my crow, but he's only 10/1 on rookie of the year because he's one of the only ones shoe-horned into a starting spot on a contending team.

Chas/Jake might be serviceable. It's not fair to call them a black hole, I'll give you that. My 7-9 comment was more about the fact that during the regular season you normally have a "AAAA" type guy in the starting lineup giving a regular a day off.

Our "normal" starting lineup will more than likely look like this :

1. Altuve
2. Tucker
3. Bregman
4. Alvarez
5. Yuli
6. McCormick/ Meyers
7. Goodrum/Diaz/ other backup player
8. Peña
9. Maldonado

(I'm giving Brantley the day off here in this scenario, but it will obviously rotate around our normal top 6 guys)
First Page Last Page
Page 161 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.