***Official Houston Astros 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

563,830 Views | 6776 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiEE
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Im over the alternating L-R-L-R hitters

Dont put three in a row, but I'm personally not worried about having consecutive righties or lefties

I could consider Tucker in the 2 Hole, but not sure he feels like one to me

Altuve
Bregman
Tucker
Alvarez
Yuli
Brantley

If Bregman can't get back to form, I'm fine with Brantley back in the two hole, but I can't have our three lefties in the 2-3-4

It all depends on the Bregman that we are gonna see, hopefully he is back to 2019 Bregs
astros4545
AG
I swear I was typing out about having Tucker at leadoff, but wouldnt want to impact Altuve

It comes down to this.......I will not endorse any lineup that doesnt have Altuve, Yordan, Tucker in the top 4
BMX Bandit
FredMc92 said:

12law said:

Chrundle the Great said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Can someone please tell me if I should hate crane or Correa more?

My hatred is split but I really need to direct it to one individual.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Focus your hate on the Yankees

Why would the players association let Correa walk away from Baltimore's offer? That's the most confusing part about this.
Because the idea that the player's association can force a player to sign with a team is ridiculous?

Exactly. Always been a spin put by union to explain why free agents leave.
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545 said:

I swear I was typing out about having Tucker at leadoff, but wouldnt want to impact Altuve

It comes down to this.......I will not endorse any lineup that doesnt have Altuve, Yordan, Tucker in the top 4

100% agree with that last sentence. Let's hope Dusty agrees.
Farmer1906
AG
Probably Bs but…

CoachRTM
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Probably Bs but…

Know how I know you're making stuff up?

Claim a "mystery third team" so there's literally zero way you can be wrong.
tjack16
AG
Wouldn't be shocked if it's the Yankees.

If it's a bidding war I'm guessing we won't go higher. Not because our owner is CHEAP like some suggest.

But because the Yankees are more desperate
Deluxe
AG

From the same source. Seems like he thinks that Gleyber would net them a mid to top tier starter in a trade. Lol.
Farmer1906
AG
I think he's getting traded regardless.
Deluxe
AG
He's exhibit A that the Yankees were up to some stuff in 2019
Farmer1906
AG
I kind of think he'd be a nice buy low candidate. Not really for us but someone who needs an IFer.
SECcess12
Deluxe said:

He's exhibit A that the Yankees were up to some stuff in 2019

Yep, because he was supposedly the next big thing.
astros4545
AG
random to bring up

but Yankees do have Luis Severino throwing 97 in his first spring training appearance

he hasnt started a game since 2019
12law
AG
FredMc92 said:

12law said:

Chrundle the Great said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Can someone please tell me if I should hate crane or Correa more?

My hatred is split but I really need to direct it to one individual.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Focus your hate on the Yankees

Why would the players association let Correa walk away from Baltimore's offer? That's the most confusing part about this.
Because the idea that the player's association can force a player to sign with a team is ridiculous?

Lol let's not confuse ideals with reality. Choosing to leave $250M on the table is a head scratcher.
n_touch
Farmer1906 said:

Probably Bs but…

Probably the Twins
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15
AG
AggiEE
bearkatag15 said:

Crane seems like a difficult person to work for. Weird how he wouldn't budge at all…really?

Feels personal or something
astros4545
AG
AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

Crane seems like a difficult person to work for. Weird how he wouldn't budge at all…really?

It only feels personal to some fans and posters

Its very logical as a CEO of a team whos main priority is long term success of the ball club
AggiEE
astros4545 said:

AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

Its very logical as a CEO of a team whos main priority is long term success of the ball club

How is a 110 / 3 with opt outs any worse than 160 / 5 ?

He's fine with short deals and Verlander…the deal the twins got seems pretty ideal

You're basically guaranteed another year of prime Correa without the huge risk of a long term contract
Ags #1
AG
Its like the guy built a successful business and always had the end goal in sight
n_touch
AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

If thats what they were willing to give and they knew it what else was there to discuss? Personal or not but most business that successful don't play around. It was not a horrible offer at all.
f1ghtintexasaggie
bearkatag15 said:

Good. Carlos clearly did not want to be here unless on his own terms. 5yrs 160M was plenty fair--vaya con Dios. Thanks for the memories. Have fun batting without any significant protection around you for the next half season, and I'd start praying now you aren't offloaded at the deadline to a borderline WC team without a shot in hell in the playoffs.
Harry Dunne
AggiEE said:

astros4545 said:

AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

He's fine with short deals and Verlander…the deal the twins got seems pretty ideal

You're basically guaranteed another year of prime Correa without the huge risk of a long term contract
Health is not a guarantee with anyone, but even less of a guarantee with Correa. Based on history I'd say it's a coin flip whether you're getting "prime Correa" or "struggling with nagging injuries replacement level Correa". Then another coin flip on whether you're getting a relatively full season or 110 games out of him.

So yeah, IMO it's still a pretty expensive buy-in to play those odds.

Also pretty ishtty that the Twins are giving him a club record deal yet he's still going to bolt the second he can better-deal them. Just perfect for his drama queen fake tough guy personality that he gets to be courted by the Yankees every offseason if he manages not tweak his back farting and miss half a season… but he still has the security blanket of coming home his fat girlfriend Minnesota if he's not tough enough to stay in the lineup and do his job all season.

Great player, thanks for the memories…but he's a first ballot guy for the "Dallas Keuchel hall of guys I won't be sad to see fall off a cliff" (professionally).
MaxPower
So you are worried about 26 year old Correas nagging injuries but willing to give 38 year old JV coming off a blown elbow 2 years with an opt out? Sorry bro, take off the star colored glasses.
Coog97
Mr.Bond said:

This opt out **** is cancerous

This horse ain't going back in the barn. Mercenary baseball is here.
The Porkchop Express
AG
AggiEE said:

astros4545 said:

AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

Because then what do you say when Tuck, Alvarez, Bregman, and all of your other stars want the same deal you're offering Correa?
EastCoastAgNc
AG

If Story has a QO attached to him, there's no way we are signing him.
iamtheglove
Coog97 said:

Mr.Bond said:

This opt out **** is cancerous

This horse ain't going back in the barn. Mercenary baseball is here.
Agreed. And from my perspective, there was no way the Astros could sign up for Correa's Twins deal if they ever hoped to sign Yordan and Tucker to more conventional pre free agency extensions like they did with Bregman and Altuve.

At the end of the day, Boras won, setting a new precedent - yearly free agency at the players option as they wait for the 10 year mega-deal - that will impact most big signings for years to come.

Under Crane and Luhnow/Click the Astros approach has been to be great at identifying and developing talent, not taking the bait on long term Mega deals that handcuff them if injuries or underperformance happens. It's why we have been so good recently. And while easier to do when you are drafting in the top five vs the bottom five, I don't think they are going to abandon that approach.

To that end, think about how successful and aggressive we have been with international signings, even as the top 5 conventional draft picks dried up. Same on the trade front (Yordan, etc). Same on the free agency signing front (Yuli, Brantley, etc.) and only taking on short term deals and extensions with FAs.

Bottom line, if we can continue to be great at identifying and developing players we will be fine for the long haul even as we lose out on Correa and others in the future. I'm pretty impressed Crane stuck to his guns and has the confidence in the overall approach to deliver a competitive club.

The only question in my mind is whether Click and his organization has the same chops as Lunhow and his team to find and develop the players.
CFTXAG10
AG
cc10106
It's Jeremy Pena time. Atlanta won with their pitching and deadline moves last year. Hopefully Click can pull off something similar if needed.
Harry Dunne
MaxPower said:

So you are worried about 26 year old Correas nagging injuries but willing to give 38 year old JV coming off a blown elbow 2 years with an opt out? Sorry bro, take off the star colored glasses.
Yes I'll take the guy who has been injured only twice in his long career over the guy who has been healthy only twice in his short career.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16
AG
Alright Jeremy Pena. No pressure
First Page Last Page
Page 160 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.