***Official Houston Astros 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

564,084 Views | 6776 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiEE
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Os for 360 MM would be the next best thing after resigning with us.

He goes to noncontender not in the division so no worries competing against him
He gets WAY more than I'd be comfortable giving him so there's no hard feelings with us not sealing the deal

Personally I think it'd be career suicide.
AggiEE
There is no way we will compete anywhere close to that offer.

It is stupid money. Thanks for all the memories, Carlos. No one is going to blame you for taking that
Farmer1906
AG
n_touch said:

Farmer1906 said:

I'm shocked he hasn't accepted yet. The fact he's even considering anything from Houston at this point is crazy to me when he's been offered 360 million! He's already had a career with more postseason play (and success) than most guys. Go get your money.

Not like he will be playing for the league min if he stays here. He will still be paid very well lol

It's easy to turn down a hypothetical extra 100 million.
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545
AG
Daniella dont want to live in Baltimore
Marvin
AG
n_touch said:

Farmer1906 said:

I'm shocked he hasn't accepted yet. The fact he's even considering anything from Houston at this point is crazy to me when he's been offered 360 million! He's already had a career with more postseason play (and success) than most guys. Go get your money.

Not like he will be playing for the league min if he stays here. He will still be paid very well lol

No way Boras or the union allows him to pass that up. No. Way.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
astros4545
AG
Random

Has anyone ever seen data put together breaking down the new extra inning rule?

I'm curious what average number of innings are played with new rule vs the real extra innings
Buck Compton
AG
Marvin said:

n_touch said:

Farmer1906 said:

No way Boras or the union allows him to pass that up. No. Way.
Boras would. If he signs and opts out next year, Boras gets all of the cash on the huge deal vs. just the delta.
. . .

Quote:

Correa to Orioles?

The 2012 draft was most notable for the Astros' selection of Carlos Correa over Byron Buxton and others with the No. 1 pick. Mike Elias, the Astros' amateur scouting director then, was the driving force behind the Correa pick. And now that Elias is the Orioles' GM, it stands to reason he would have interest in Correa, the top remaining free agent.

Elias seemed to dismiss the idea on Monday, telling reporters it was unlikely the rebuilding Orioles would offer any free agent a multi-year contract. But Correa, according to a source with knowledge of the Orioles' thinking, might be an exception, if his price dropped to a level the club deemed appropriate.

What that level might be $50 million? $100 million? $200 million? is not known. Correa, 27, certainly is young enough to serve as the centerpiece of a rebuilding program. But many in the industry suspect Correa will wind up back with the Astros, perhaps on a short deal rather than the long-term, $350 million contract he desires.

Astros owner Jim Crane told Mark Berman of Houston's Fox 26 on Sunday that the team has reached out to Correa's agent, Scott Boras, and they were "in discussions." Those talks, however, seem to be generating little progress. While talks are fluid, and can change with one phone call, some with the Astros are pessimistic about the team's chances of bringing Correa back.
EABC_AG
I don't think Correa ends up coming back. Hope I end up wrong but feel like we would have heard something positive by now if it was going to happen.
W
AG
astros4545 said:

Daniella dont want to live in Baltimore
there is some truth here.

Baltimore is barely 5% Hispanic / Latino population
bearkatag15
AG

Boo this
Mathguy64
AG
Carlos didn't make his name and bones playing out the string in a 162 game season. He made it by being The Man in the playoffs.

Go to Baltimore and he will never feel the playoff juice again. If that's what $350MM is good for then go for it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
bearkatag15 said:

$350/10 years ?
I don't think I've ever seen Scott Boras before this picture, but this is exactly what I assumed he would look like.
bearkatag15
AG
That's Mike Elias, Baltimore GM
Ag_07
AG
Except that's not Scott Boras.

That's Mike Elias
The Porkchop Express
AG
If Correa picks Baltimore he is almost literally pulling the Alex Rodriguez to Texas move.

Get drafted by a franchise on its way up, be a huge success at a young age (CC more than A-Rod since he has a ring).

Get to the contract year, take ****ing forever to make a pick, then go with something totally out of left field with no winning tradition in living memory.

Put up huge numbers for a team that finishes 4th or 5th every year for a few seasons until the Yankees buy your contract.

And of course, Boras was A-Rod's agent too.

From a story looking back on the deal:

Of course, the Rangers went 216-260 from 2001-03, finishing in last place in the AL West all three years. They finished in last place the year before they signed A-Rod too, but with him on the books, they had trouble affording other quality players to put around him.
Ag4life80
AG
Maryland has a 5.75% state income tax. So there's that
agproducer
AG
Yankees fans are riled up, still thinking they are in it.

Martino is pulling stuff out of his ass again for clicks.

If Carlos goes to the Yankees, he will likely become the most hated former Astro.
TRM
AG
He'd play more games in states with state income tax as well.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
They aren't gonna spend big money on him when they have two prospects who they consider stud SS options in the next few years.
agproducer
AG
I agree. It's just Martino keeps putting out this trash.
Marvin
AG
Name another player that rejected 10/$350 for a shorter term deal. I'm seriously asking because I don't know of one offhand.

And Boras is not steering him because of the lost commission. That theory has taken on a life of its own. Agents don't get top dog clients by rejecting $350 million. Again, correct me if I'm forgetting someone. Anyone.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
AggiEE
I'd be shocked if the Astros are within 100M of that offer.

So yeah, I really don't see Carlos turning it down
W
AG
the players union will tell / order him to take it.

they want the Orioles to return to being a big spending franchise
Ag_07
AG
If 10/350 was such a no brainer to take why hasn't he taken it? And why are they just now making a revised offer?

You'd think he'd have taken it way back before the lockout or said 'Ill take that if you add in some opt outs' and they'd have done that ASAP.

I really think he just doesn't want to go to BAL.
Panama Red
AG
"But the taxes" guy.
Panama Red
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

bearkatag15 said:

$350/10 years ?
I don't think I've ever seen Scott Boras before this picture, but this is exactly what I assumed he would look like.

Wow.
tjack16
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

bearkatag15 said:

$350/10 years ?

That's Scott Boras
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

If 10/350 was such a no brainer to take why hasn't he taken it? And why are they just now making a revised offer?

You'd think he'd have taken it way back before the lockout or said 'Ill take that if you add in some opt outs' and they'd have done that ASAP.

The only reason to wait is on the slim hope another franchise can approach this ridiculous number as well as the ridiculous number of years.

Someone asked when has a player turned down a contract of this magnitude...when has a player ever lived up to the contract, especially the last half of it.
tjack16
AG
Prosperdick said:

Ag_07 said:

The only reason to wait is on the slim hope another franchise can approach this ridiculous number as well as the ridiculous number of years.

Someone asked when has a player turned down a contract of this magnitude...when has a player ever lived up to the contract, especially the last half of it.

You can't blame the player for taking it if they don't pan out. Thats on the franchise for offering it.

I would say I don't think it's yet to truly work out for any team, but also we've only really seen these deals offered to guys north of 30 (Pujols). Now we are starting to see them offered to young guys so the jury is still out on if any work out.

I will say Bryce Harper got that type of deal and he just won an MVP in year 3 of the deal. So that is a win win for both parties so far
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Buck Compton
AG
tjack16 said:

Prosperdick said:

Ag_07 said:

You can't blame the player for taking it if they don't pan out. Thats on the franchise for offering it.

I would say I don't think it's yet to truly work out for any team, but also we've only really seen these deals offered to guys north of 30 (Pujols). Now we are starting to see them offered to young guys so the jury is still out on if any work out.

I will say Bryce Harper got that type of deal and he just won an MVP in year 3 of the deal. So that is a win win for both parties so far
I wouldn't call that a win-win just yet even if getting prime production. If you give out a contract like that you either have to be willing to spend like the Mets or you have to be basically perfect in the rest of your moves. In both situations, you really have to also really pray for healthy seasons.

So I started looking at the Phillies since I know they have Wheeler and Realmuto also. It's rare you see a more lopsided payroll. $75-80M locked up in those three (just under 45%) for the next three years and $193M on the books for 2022 without being markedly improved over an 82-80 team. I guess they could have some rookie talent. They're going to lose like 8 free agents next year as well. Sounds exactly like the angels with trout. Can't afford pitching (or can't afford to spread their chips around the roulette board to hedge for an off year or injuries), so they never make the postseason.

When you really dig into it, it just leaves no room for error. Same thing would happen to the Orioles. Really glad we don't commit to those. At this point, I'd rather have Peña and room to trade for a frontline starter than Correa for 10 years.
Ag4life80
AG
If Pena is the best defensive player in the Astro Organization, and he hits .260 w 15 -20 homers, is CC 30M a better player? Correa had his best year last year in a loaded lineup. He's going to get pitched around In Baltimore and the pressure is going to be on to produce on a cellar dwelling team. Not to mention, the Jays are set to dominate that division for the next 5 years. We're about to find out if it's really all about the ego of getting a bigger deal than Lindor.
Farmer1906
AG
Prosperdick said:

Ag_07 said:

In general, I don't like these kinds of deals. They usually end up paying prime money for way past their prime or not enough years of a player's prime.

Some have worked out before. Here are a few:
(22) Trout 6/144.5 best money ever spent?
(28) Ramirez 8/160 Manny being Manny was worth it
(27) Altuve 7/163.5 He's not playing at the 2016-17 level but he's still good. Hopefully, this one works out til the end.
(27) Strasberg 7/175 is looking like money well spent.
(30) Verlander 7/180 ended up working. he was declining but reinvigorated his career in Houston.
(26) Jeter 10/189 was fine. tailed off a little at the end.
(30) Scherzer 7/210 easily was worth every penny
(25) Kershaw 7/215 had a little up and down, but ultimately was elite for most of it
(25) Rodriguez 10/252 hate him or not he was an all-timer during this deal

Most of the guys above got these contracts in their 20s. It's much more likely to work out with say Correa at 27 than Semien at 31.
First Page Last Page
Page 148 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.