***Official Houston Astros 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

564,129 Views | 6776 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiEE
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Milkman
AG
Marvin said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Starting to think Correa just doesn't want to go to spring training and he'll sign the week before the season starts.
Sort of like when Sean Jones of the Oilers would retire every summer so he didn't have to go to training camp.

Back strain incoming by April 12th…
Yeah the 2020 shortened pandemic season without spring training saw a ton of injuries. Got to get out there asap
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Cubs pick up another shortstop. Makes me think they're even more out of the Correa running.
979ag
AG
wow. Financially, that Tampa deal makes a lot more sense than LA. I guess Freeman favors the LA market and lifestyle more than a Florida beach town...which surprises me a little based on his personality.
Ag_07
AG
Thought I read somewhere that he already has a residence in Orange County.
Farmer1906
AG
shano0603 said:

tjack16 said:

It's been oddly quiet on the Trevor story front. Wonder what the deal is with that

He's waiting. Once Correa signs, he will easily get a bigger contract than if he signed now.
I could see that but who's still out there willing to give big money?

Twins look like they're ready to make someone a big offer. Most think Story.
Cardinals seem to be balking on making a commitment and will give Sosa & Dejong another shot.
Red Sox have been shut out of big signings this offseason. Bogaerts isn't moving off SS. Would Story or Correa play second (no chance for CC, right?)
Mariners made their splash in the OF already and have Crawford
Angels make sense, but their focus has been on pitching. They're already paying Trout, Rendon, and will need to pay Otahni.
Yankees traded for a SS and don't want to give a mega deal. They'll need to pay Judge next year.
Cubs made some sense, but their offer was low for Correa. Maybe Story fits.

Am I missing anyone?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

shano0603 said:

tjack16 said:

It's been oddly quiet on the Trevor story front. Wonder what the deal is with that

He's waiting. Once Correa signs, he will easily get a bigger contract than if he signed now.

Cardinals seem to be balking on making a commitment and will give Sosa & Dejong another shot.
Red Sox have been shut out of big signings this offseason. Bogaerts isn't moving off SS. Would Story or Correa play second (no chance for CC, right?)
Angels make sense, but their focus has been on pitching. They're already paying Trout, Rendon, and will need to pay Otahni.
Yankees traded for a SS and don't want to give a mega deal. They'll need to pay Judge next year.

Am I missing anyone?
Cubs likely out after signing Villar earlier. Orioles have the stupid offer out there. Have the Twins ever given out a mega deal?
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer1906 said:

shano0603 said:

tjack16 said:

Am I missing anyone?
Cubs likely out after signing Villar earlier. Orioles have the stupid offer out there. Have the Twins ever given out a mega deal?
Villar isn't going to stop anyone from signing Correa or Story. I think the Cubs are setting up to make a run at Correa in 2023 or 2024.

8/284 Mauer
7/100 Buxton (lots of incentives too)
5/90 Hunter (pretty big in 2008) then followed it up with 2/26 when he was 37 years old and 1/10.5 at 39.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer1906 said:

shano0603 said:

tjack16 said:

Am I missing anyone?
Villar isn't going to stop anyone from signing Correa or Story. I think the Cubs are setting up to make a run at Correa in 2023 or 2024.

8/284 Mauer
7/100 Buxton (lots of incentives too)
5/90 Hunter (pretty big in 2008) then followed it up with 2/26 when he was 37 years old and 1/10.5 at 39.
It would surprise me if they signed both Simmons and Villar, then went and got Correa this year. They would have 3 SS at that point.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Zach wanted no part of playing for AJ
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Tampering much?
The Porkchop Express
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Next time you want to feel really old, be aware that Korey Lee was 6 days old when the Astros traded for Randy Johnson in 1998.
agproducer
AG
Yeah, thanks for that, jerk!
Marvin
AG
Lee was probably in his first year of minor league ball, maybe already playing up in age in the Little League division when Verlander debuted in MLB. For sure he was a year removed from T-ball. Those kids all wanted to be Justin Verlander when they grew up.

On second thought, I want to be Justin Verlander when I grow up...
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
W
AG
Minnesota gave a big contract to Mauer...and it was a disaster for the Twins -- a small market team
SW-14
AG
I'd be happy being JV for about, oh.... 30 seconds or so.
Farmer1906
AG
Rally Kate for the JV start and hopefully CC signing?

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Rally Kate for the JV start and hopefully CC signing?

Cue the "you motorboatin' son of a ......"
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
The Porkchop Express
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Greinke's draft class is a fascinating one to look at (2002)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2002&draft_round=1&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round

Pirates drafted Bryan Bullington #1, who pitched 26 games for them with a 1-9 record and a 5.62 ERA

#2 was BJ Upton, played 1469 games.

#3 Chris Gruler for the Reds never played a game in the Majors

#4 Adam Loewen of the Orioles pitched in 63 games and had a career ERA of 5.85

#%5 Clint Everts for Montreal never played in the majors.

Then you have Greinke #6 and Prince Fielder #7.

Greinke's career WAR is 73.1. The only other guy in the entire first round of the draft that year with a WAR above 30 is Cole Hamels (59.3) who went 17th overall.

The local 9 took whoever Derick Grigsby is. Also zero MLB appearances.

The 2nd round produced three guys with >30 career WARS. Joey Votto (64.6), Jon Lester (44.2), and Brian McCann (32.0)
EastCoastAgNc
AG
linkdude
AG
Triple A day baybeeee
Farmer1906
AG
We're facing Wainwright tomorrow. Is he HOFer?

16 years
425 Games
3.35 ERA
3.43 FIP
184-105
44.5 WAR (#6 for active pitchers, could/should pass Sale this season)
2004 Strike Outs
0 CY Youngs, but finished 2nd twice, 3rd twice, and 7th once
3x All Star
2 Gold Gloves
1 Silver Slugger
29 postseason games
2.83 Postseason ERA
1 Ring

EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07
AG
Images of Machete and that strike em out throw em out DP in the ALCS will be etched in my brain forever.

That was an incredible play at such a pivotal moment.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Greinke's draft class is a fascinating one to look at (2002)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2002&draft_round=1&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round

Pirates drafted Bryan Bullington #1, who pitched 26 games for them with a 1-9 record and a 5.62 ERA

#2 was BJ Upton, played 1469 games.

#3 Chris Gruler for the Reds never played a game in the Majors

#4 Adam Loewen of the Orioles pitched in 63 games and had a career ERA of 5.85

#%5 Clint Everts for Montreal never played in the majors.

Then you have Greinke #6 and Prince Fielder #7.

Greinke's career WAR is 73.1. The only other guy in the entire first round of the draft that year with a WAR above 30 is Cole Hamels (59.3) who went 17th overall.

The local 9 took whoever Derick Grigsby is. Also zero MLB appearances.

The 2nd round produced three guys with >30 career WARS. Joey Votto (64.6), Jon Lester (44.2), and Brian McCann (32.0)

You left off Kazmir who was drafted in that draft by the Mets #15, I played at the same HS with both he and Everts. What a sight those guys were. Best game ive ever seen was when they played Tomball against Troy Patton and a stud OF Ball I think, dude was built like a linebacker.

Scott hit a HR off Patton but gave up two homeruns one each to Patton and Ball...I believe each ball cleared the lights on the way out. If you've ever been to Cy Falls the other guys hit off the roof of one of the houses in Left Center and bounced into the front yard...
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Clint was an absolute stud at SS that guy made more freak plays including on the other side of second base than I have ever witnessed. If that team just had a few more bats they could have won it all.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

This was the whitesox pitcher who ran his mouth in the playoffs
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Nope. Might make it past the first ballot but that's it. I can see him hovering around the 7-10% mark.

But the BBWAA is full of morons so you never know
SW-14
AG
Is Roy O a HOFer? Eerily similar stats between the two:

https://stathead.com/baseball/player-comparison.cgi?player_id2=wainwad01&type=p&player_id1=oswalro01&sum=0&request=1
TREX01
First time I have seen the name Derick Grigsby in 15 years. Sad story, mother died early in life, depression took over his life and basically caused him to hide from everything including baseball.
First Page Last Page
Page 146 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.