"Was baseball saved by Chris Taylor's home run?"

4,340 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by W
dixichkn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That was seriously a question on ESiPN this morning.

Those clowns are so far up the Yankees/Dodgers/RedSox/Cubs asses you'd need a colonoscopy to find em.

Go STROS. #SIUEFA
jkag89
dixichkn said:

Those clowns are so far up the Yankees/Dodgers/RedSox/Cubs asses you'd need a colonoscopy to find em.

Go STROS. #SIUEFA
The Dodgers/Giants is certainly a more compelling matchup but the Redbirds are at least as much baseball royalty a s the effin' Dodgers. Certainly more than the Cubs.
Cromagnum
AG
Hoping for an epic beat down of the Dojers by the Giants.
WoMD

Need more sad Kershaw.
WoMD
107 wins vs 106 wins at this point in the post season is flat out absurd. The two (wins-wise) best teams in baseball playing against eachother in the first round (don't count the stupid wild card game)? Freaking ridiculous.
BCSWguru
Meh, they shoulda won the division.
Farmer1906
AG
WoMD said:

107 wins vs 106 wins at this point in the post season is flat out absurd. The two (wins-wise) best teams in baseball playing against eachother in the first round (don't count the stupid wild card game)? Freaking ridiculous.
How often has this ever happened?
WoMD
Farmer1906 said:

WoMD said:

Well technically, before the playoff expansion it used to happen regularly. ****, back in 93 the giants didn't even make the playoffs with 103 wins. But right now, with the number of teams making the playoffs compared to before and the number of rounds, coupled with the absurdity of the total wins between the two teams in this series…yeah, this is a very unique situation. And add in that it's such a huge rivalry between two teams playing against eachother for the first time in the post season ever, and it's set up for quite a series. I'm hoping for an easy giants win of course, but would not be upset if every game is epic and nerve wracking to get there.

Definitely has the feel of previous college football seasons where the two best teams played in the SEC championship, even if both teams don't actually make it to the actual championship game.
Farmer1906
AG
WoMD said:

Farmer1906 said:

WoMD said:

Well technically, before the playoff expansion it used to happen regularly. ****, back in 93 the giants didn't even make the playoffs with 103 wins. But right now, with the number of teams making the playoffs compared to before and the number of rounds, coupled with the absurdity of the total wins between the two teams in this series…yeah, this is a very unique situation. And add in that it's such a huge rivalry between two teams playing against eachother for the first time in the post season ever, and it's set up for quite a series. I'm hoping for an easy giants win of course, but would not be upset if every game is epic and nerve wracking to get there.

Definitely has the feel of previous college football seasons where the national championship was actually the SEC championship, even if both teams don't actually make it to the actual championship game.
I agree, it was an issue. Now with the WC, the issue is somewhat elevated. When they went to two WCs then its helped solve one problem while creating another. It went from rewarding the top non division winner with a DS spot to sending them into a crazy 1 game playoff while rewarding another non division winner that previously was out of the running.

I think any further expansion waters down the regular season too much. So if this is the worst-case scenario (106 win team having to go thru the WC) then I think we can deal with it every decade or so.

Not perfect, but still probably the best playoff format.
WoMD
Farmer1906 said:

WoMD said:

Farmer1906 said:

WoMD said:

Definitely has the feel of previous college football seasons where the national championship was actually the SEC championship, even if both teams don't actually make it to the actual championship game.
I agree, it was an issue. Now with the WC, the issue is somewhat elevated. When they went to two WCs then its helped solve one problem while creating another. It went from rewarding the top non division winner with a DS spot to sending them into a crazy 1 game playoff while rewarding another non division winner that previously was out of the running.

I think any further expansion waters down the regular season too much. So if this is the worst-case scenario (106 win team having to go thru the WC) then I think we can deal with it every decade or so.

Not perfect, but still probably the best playoff format.

Personally I much preferred the previous format with only one wild card. It felt like the perfect compromise to assure the most likely chance of getting the best teams in the playoffs without leaving out anyone who is actually deserving to be there. I know many will argue this point, but I despise the one game play-in crap we have now. You can have a dominant team like the Dodgers go home after playing against an arguably mediocre team (by comparison) after a long season due to an unlucky break not going their way (theoretically, of course). Don't get me wrong, I would've been quite happy if that had happened, being a huge giants fan, but it's almost a disservice to the game in a way to not have the best teams in the playoffs. And no, I still don't count the wild card game part of the playoffs. I know it is, but it never felt right to me…

Overall though, I think your reasoning is the correct one. It's mostly just personal preferences at this point, as there are no true perfect scenarios to make sure things go as they should.
Proposition Joe
I mean, 106 win team still didn't win the division. To have any other kind of format would basically be saying divisions on longer matter... Which goes completely against the unbalanced schedule 20 years ago.

The best incentive to winning the division is not having to play a 1-game playoff to decide your fate.

The old format had far too many teams out of the hunt by the end of July which baseball (and it's fans) don't want.

4 teams were still battling it out for WC2 in the NL the final month of the season.

In the old format, the playoff teams would have been set in mid-August.
WoMD
Proposition Joe said:

I mean, 106 win team still didn't win the division. To have any other kind of format would basically be saying divisions on longer matter... Which goes completely against the unbalanced schedule 20 years ago.

The best incentive to winning the division is not having to play a 1-game playoff to decide your fate.

The old format had far too many teams out of the hunt by the end of July which baseball (and it's fans) don't want.

4 teams were still battling it out for WC2 in the NL the final month of the season.

Pushing my opinions/bias aside, I don't disagree with anything in your post. Good points.
BadAggie
AG
Poor Dodgers, when will they ever get a break?
NorCal
Dodgers = Longhorns

Dodger fans = Longhorn fans

It's irrefutable.
Bunk Moreland
in 2015 the NL Central had the 3 best teams in the NL...

100-62 Cardinals
98-64 Pirates
97-65 Cubs
92-70 Dodgers
90-72 Mets

Cubs played Pirates for the WC then had to play the Cards in round 1.

Tough for those 3 teams but sometimes that's just the weirdness to it all.
annie88
AG
dixichkn said:

Go STROS. #SIUEFA
The more they hate the Astros, the more I like it.

For the H!
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Proposition Joe said:

baseball needs relegation and promotion. The idea of a club being sent down to AAA for bad performance will keep fans interested all year.
jkag89
Might work if the minor leagues remained independent but unworkable as set up now since they are farm teams to develop talent for MLB clubs.
12thMan9
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

baseball needs relegation and promotion. The idea of a club being sent down to AAA for bad performance will keep fans interested all year.
Then why not start the year w/Strangers, O's, Backs, & Pirates already there?
Ronnie '88
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
jkag89 said:

Might work if the minor leagues remained independent but unworkable as set up now since they are farm teams to develop talent for MLB clubs.
Many European leagues have multiple "farm" teams playing inside the same pyramid. For instance, Borussia Dortmund's "B" team plays in the German third tier.

Also, the Red Bull organization owns numerous teams across leagues that have a sort of hierarchy like MLB team and farm system (RB Leipzig>>Red Bull Salzburg>>New York Red Bulls>>Red Bull Brazil).

It would work just fine; the owners would simply never go through with it because they immediately lose every ounce of leverage over municipal taxing authorities (buy us a multi-billion dollar stadium or we're moving the franchise to Indianapolis!!!)
Proposition Joe
I don't think leverage would be the #1 concern owners would have.

I think the fact that franchise values would take a 30-50% haircut would be the biggest concern.

Ultimately MLB is in a bad position in the sense that salary cap ain't gonna happen, so the best you can do to try and even competition is luxury taxes, allow more teams in the playoffs, and ultimately allow the trading of draft picks.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
As a San Francisco Giants fan, I was grateful the Giants ended the Los Angeles Dodgers run of 8 consecutive NL West division titles. By winning the division, they avoid an elimination game and was well rested by the time they beat the Dodgers 4-0 in Game 1. The Dodgers/Giants NL Division Series is currently tied at 2-2 with Game 5 in San Francisco tonight. Each team has 109 total wins. Giants have 107 regular season wins and 2 playoff wins, and the Dodgers have 106 regular season wins and 3 playoff wins. I believe the winner of this series will beat the Atlanta Braves in the NL Championship Series. I hope the Giants end the Dodgers' dream of repeating as world series champions.
Faustus
Iraq2xVeteran said:

As a San Francisco Giants fan, I was grateful the Giants ended the Los Angeles Dodgers run of 8 consecutive NL West division titles. By winning the division, they avoid an elimination game and was well rested by the time they beat the Dodgers 4-0 in Game 1. The Dodgers/Giants NL Division Series is currently tied at 2-2 with Game 5 in San Francisco tonight. Each team has 109 total wins. Giants have 107 regular season wins and 2 playoff wins, and the Dodgers have 106 regular season wins and 3 playoff wins. I believe the winner of this series will beat the Atlanta Braves in the NL Championship Series. I hope the Giants end the Dodgers' dream of repeating as world series champions.
You and me both, although I'm hoping the Braves then end the Giant's dream.
TexAg91
AG
so, maybe not?
yawny06
AG
TexAg91 said:

so, maybe not?

I hold you responsible…
TexAg91
AG
my bad.
TexAg91
AG
So, no after all
yawny06
AG
Can we say Yordan and Eddie saved baseball?
W
AG
the three teams that won 100 or more games...nowhere to be found this week
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.