Hypothetical - which would be the most perfect Perfect Game?

1,715 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Proposition Joe
Smeghead4761
How long do you want to ignore this user?
27 outs on 27 pitches

or

27 three pitch strikeouts?
JABQ04
AG
I'd vote the 27 3 pitch Ks for sheer dominance factor.
RodTidwell
I believe the 81 pitch 27 strikeouts has been accomplished before. Years ago I watch a documentary called the The Scout where it chronicled the life of a man named Steve Nebraska who accomplished the feat in the World Series. I forget the year and I don't remember it getting much coverage in the press.
WES2006AG
AG
RodTidwell said:

I believe the 81 pitch 27 strikeouts has been accomplished before. Years ago I watch a documentary called the The Scout where it chronicled the life of a man named Steve Nebraska who accomplished the feat in the World Series. I forget the year and I don't remember it getting much coverage in the press.
well done
Mathguy64
AG
27 outs on 27 pitches - The Perfect Perfect game

27 outs on 81 strikes and 27 K's - The Immaculate Perfect game
Kashchei
AG
While it wouldn't be a perfect game, you could theoretically have a 0 pitch no hitter with the new intentional walk rules.

Intentionally walk a batter and the proceed to pick him off. Why the runners would step off of first after the few few outs I don't know, but it's fun to think about
RodTidwell
With the new extra inning rules you can actually lose a perfect game. 0-0 thru 9, runner placed on 2nd in the 10th, runners moves to 3rd on groundout, scores on sac fly, perfect game lost.
The Milkman
AG
RodTidwell said:

With the new extra inning rules you can actually lose a perfect game. 0-0 thru 9, runner placed on 2nd in the 10th, runners moves to 3rd on groundout, scores on sac fly, perfect game lost.
I was actually just thinking about this the other day.

From the MLB rulebook:
Quote:

Perfect games and No-hitters:
An official perfect game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) retires each batter on the opposing team during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a perfect game, no batter reaches any base during the course of the game.

An official no-hit game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) allows no hits during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a no-hit game, a batter may reach base via a walk, an error, a hit by pitch, a passed ball or wild pitch on strike three, or catcher's interference.
MLB should really have issued a rules clarification on it, but I think its clear the runner starting on 2nd isnt a "batter" so therefore no batter has reached a base
Eso si, Que es
The Milkman said:

RodTidwell said:

I was actually just thinking about this the other day.

From the MLB rulebook:
Quote:

Perfect games and No-hitters:
An official perfect game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) retires each batter on the opposing team during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a perfect game, no batter reaches any base during the course of the game.

An official no-hit game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) allows no hits during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a no-hit game, a batter may reach base via a walk, an error, a hit by pitch, a passed ball or wild pitch on strike three, or catcher's interference.
MLB should really have issued a rules clarification on it, but I think its clear the runner starting on 2nd isnt a "batter" so therefore no batter has reached a base
In a no hitter, couldn't a batter reach base on fielders choice? Strange they singled out the other ways but ignored FC
agdaddy04
AG
How would a FC occur if one of the other ways of reaching hadn't already happened?
AustinAg2K
I think Ernie Shore should get credit for a perfect game. For those not aware, when with the Red Sox, Babe Ruth walked the first batter of the game and then got ejected. Ernie Shore came in relief, picked the runner off first, and then sat down the next 26 straight batters. Although not technically a perfect game because of Ruth's walk, Shore did retire every one he faced.

Also, Armando Galarraga should be credited with a perfect game when the up at first blew the call on the 27th out. Had it been earlier in the game, I could understand not giving a perfect game, because you don't know how the rest of the game would have gone. However, since it was the last out, if the ump makes the correct call, the game is over.
JJxvi
AG
RodTidwell said:

1994 World Series
Gramercy Riffs
AG
RodTidwell said:

I love that this was posted by Rod Tidwell, the subject of another fascinating sports documentary.
Proposition Joe
I'd say the 27 three-pitch strikeouts.

Perfect game (and no-hitter) are typically "Pitcher Accomplishments" (ie. the pitcher gets the credit for them, even if defense assisted quite a bit).

You throw 27 strikeouts, it means you didn't need any help from anyone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.