Kansas City looking at downtown stadium

3,598 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by strider98
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So here are the MLB ballparks ,sorted by age. Some will never move for a variety of reasons.

1. Fenway (1912)
2. Wrigley (1914)
3. Dodger (1962)

Safe to say these will likely never change as they are considered "classic". Moving on:

4. Angel Stadium (1966) - old multiuse stadium. Anaheim and Angles have made commitments about working together to build a new stadium on the same sight.

5. Oakland Colosseum (1966) - Another multiuse stadium that the A's have publicly been working on moving from.

6. Kaufmann Stadium (1973) - KC is now looking at a downtown stadium in KC.

https://www.mlb.com/news/royals-exploring-downtown-ballpark-in-kansas-city

7. Rogers Center (1989) - If this team is going to stay in Toronto, it has to have a retractable roof.

8. Tropicana (1990) - What a dump. Another tam looking at moving.

This gets us to Guaranteed Rate Field in Chicago, which opened the same year as The Ballpark in Arlington. Interesting that if the Rangers had not built new, they would have the 9th oldest ballpark in MLB right now.

So in the next several years, all these franchises except the first three will likely be looking for news homes.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If they move to a new stadium, does that void the waiver i signed in 1996 to never come to another Royals' game at that staidum after getting in a fight in the crowd?
wbt5845
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

If they move to a new stadium, does that void the waiver i signed in 1996 to never come to another Royals' game at that staidum after getting in a fight in the crowd?

Yes
EastSideAg2002
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Maybe try to Bobby V approach
W
AG
relocating to downtown is very 1990's. And not the current trend for a variety of reasons.

the Royals owners need to make a phone call to the Braves owners
wbt5845
AG
Each city has to analyze what works best for them. Building out in Cobb County made sense to the Braves since that was where the center of gravity of their fan base was. I have no idea bout KC. Toronto is looking at replacements for the Rogers Center and they're all downtown.
BMX Bandit
Exactly. Atlanta is not Kansas City.

Cobb county has over 700,000 people. Which suburb of Kansas City is comparable? (None)

The two primary drivers of where a Stadium will be built are Where can owner get public money? And where can the owner develop land nearby?
jkag89
I really like Kaufmann. Effin' Dodger Stadium and Kaufman are the only two parks built from '60s thru the '80s that did not suck. Of course they were built as baseball only parks and not multipurpose.
TXAggie2011
AG
That's too bad. I like Kaufmann and it's unique.

I don't remember it being all that far or hard to get from downtown KC to Kaufmann Stadium. I just looked it up and it's currently a 10 minute drive from the middle of downtown to the stadium at 6:15 on a weekday. I know it's Covid times but still.

wbt5845
AG
I'm going to guess the Royals want to be able to develop around it, which isn't going to happen where they are now.
W
AG
the Royals owners should also call the Cardinals owners.

ask them if they could wave a magic wand and move their stadium out of downtown and west in the vicinity of 170 or 270
BMX Bandit
I do like how W ignores his incredibly "just call Atlanta" take and says "hey, call St. Louis!"
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
Quote:

This gets us to Guaranteed Rate Field in Chicago, which opened the same year as The Ballpark in Arlington. Interesting that if the Rangers had not built new, they would have the 9th oldest ballpark in MLB right now.
I thought Camden Yards ('92) was next after "New Comiskey". The BP in A was '94.
wbt5845
AG
New Comiskey was 91 - TBIA was 94. My mistake. But the point stands - TBIA would still be tied for 11th with Cleveland in age.
PatAg
AG
Didn't they just spend a LOT of money updating the outfield of that stadium about 5 years ago?
DallasAg 94
Is it true the Rangers' owners are soliciting bids for the next Rangers place to play?!
Frok
AG
PatAg said:

Didn't they just spend a LOT of money updating the outfield of that stadium about 5 years ago?

Stadiums are free for owners, they don't care
TXAggie2011
AG
BMX Bandit said:

I do like how W ignores his incredibly "just call Atlanta" take and says "hey, call St. Louis!"
Sometimes I'm convinced W is a bot
The Lost
BMX Bandit said:

Exactly. Atlanta is not Kansas City.

Cobb county has over 700,000 people. Which suburb of Kansas City is comparable? (None)

The two primary drivers of where a Stadium will be built are Where can owner get public money? And where can the owner develop land nearby?

Yeah, you'd have to move it to Kansas (somewhere in johnson county), but there no good place really and kcmo will fight to keep them. Downtown actually does make sense in kc and would help either east crossroads or the west bottoms. The current stadium is way closer to the Atlanta model though. Most richer suburbs can get their in 20 or less in current traffic.
Matsui
AG
Agreed. Terrible take.
BMX Bandit
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Wonder what this fight was about?
fc2112
Tampa is now floating the idea of playing half their season in an open air stadium is Tampa and then half in Montreal. So they want TWO new open air stadiums.

They could call themselves the Ex-Rays
fullback44
AG
fc2112 said:

Tampa is now floating the idea of playing half their season in an open air stadium is Tampa and then half in Montreal. So they want TWO new open air stadiums.

They could call themselves the Ex-Rays
The Milkman
AG
W said:

relocating to downtown is very 1990's. And not the current trend for a variety of reasons.

the Royals owners need to make a phone call to the Braves owners
Thats a terrible idea. Sticking a stadium in the middle of a suburb surrounded by parking lots is very out of touch and you end up with an Arlington situation. Doesn't lend itself to creating a pre/post game atmosphere that teams and fans want.

Additionally, its factually not true at all about it being "very 1990s".

Stadiums built in the 2000s that are in downtown-ish areas.
Marlins - 2012
Target Field - 2010
Nationals - 2008
Busch - 2006
Petco - 2004
Great American Ballpark - 2001
PNC - 2001
Comerica - 2001
Minute Maid - 2000
Oracle - 2000

Also worth noting, most of those are considered really great parks. The ones not in downtown areas built since 2000:

GlobeLife in Arlington -2020
Truist in Atlanta - 2017
Citi Field - 2009
New Yankee - 2009
Citizens Bank - 2004

Not stadiums that are on many "Best of" lists
Civen
AG
wbt5845 said:

So here are the MLB ballparks ,sorted by age. Some will never move for a variety of reasons.

1. Fenway (1912)
2. Wrigley (1914)
3. Yankee (1923)
4. Dodger (1962)

Safe to say these will likely never change as they are considered "classic".
Never is such a strong word.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Also worth noting, most of those are considered really great parks. The ones not in downtown areas built since 2000:

GlobeLife in Arlington -2020
Truist in Atlanta - 2017
Citi Field - 2009
New Yankee - 2009
Citizens Bank - 2004

Not stadiums that are on many "Best of" lists
And worth noting that 4 of these 5 were built where they are largely due to historic reasons--i.e. next door to the former ballpark.

I will say though, I don't think the location is really why most ballparks on your list are considered great or not.

Skillet Shot
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Story time
strider98
Skillet Shot said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Story time
little late for that
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.