Shohei Ohtani appreciation thread

2,910 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TexMike
CoachRTM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can't think of a more impressive year from a baseball player in my lifetime. He hasn't hit as many home runs as McGuire or Sosa, nor has he had a pitching year that compares to DeGrom, Pedro, or Randy Johnson in their prime. But Ohtani's overall season both at the plate and on the mound has been ridiculous.

• Is going to win the AL MVP (potentially unanimous?)
  • Achieved a 40/20 season with around 35 games to go. (Third player ever to do this in the AL)
  • Currently leading the league in home runs (41 over 38)
  • Was "voted" as the fastest baserunner in MLB by coaches, scouts, executives.
  • At one point earlier this year, he had both the longest home run hit, and the fastest pitch thrown.
  • 8-1 record, 3.00 ERA, opposing batters hitting .193 against him
  • In total WAR, he shows 7.1, while second place is at 6.0. There are only 7 players currently above 5.0
  • Is currently listed as the 5th most likely to win the AL Cy Young award on gambling sites

I have seen some speculation that he is having the best season by any MLB player of all time, which I think is a bit of a stretch.... but it would at least be an interesting discussion.

Here are the top 10 WAR seasons since the year 2000 :

1. Barry Bonds (2001) - 11.9
2. Barry Bonds (2002) - 11.7
3. Pedro Martinez (2000) - 11.7
4. Mookie Betts (2018) - 10.7
5. Barry Bonds (2004) - 10.6
6. Randy Johnson (2002) - 10.5
7. Mike Trout (2012) - 10.5 (he was 20 years old)
8. Mike Trout (2016) - 10.5
9. Jacob DeGrom (2018) - 10.4
10. Zack Greinke (2009) - 10.4
Mr.Ackar07
CoachRTM said:

Here are the top 10 WAR seasons since the year 2000 :

1. Barry Bonds (2001) - 11.9
2. Barry Bonds (2002) - 11.7
3. Pedro Martinez (2000) - 11.7
4. Mookie Betts (2018) - 10.7
5. Barry Bonds (2004) - 10.6
6. Randy Johnson (2002) - 10.5
7. Mike Trout (2012) - 10.5 (he was 20 years old)
8. Mike Trout (2016) - 10.5
9. Jacob DeGrom (2018) - 10.4
10. Zack Greinke (2009) - 10.4

Current WAR in 2021: 3.7
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ohtani has been amazing, I took a late flyer on him in FBL and have watched him game by game. He's clearly worn down at the plate, only 4 HR in August, but his pitching has gotten better as the season has gone on. I don't know how sustainable he is long-term in the league but this year he's brilliant.
Red Five
AG
Even if he didnt play the month of September (seems to work for Trout), I don't know how you reasonably vote for someone else. 40 HR/20 SB, with 100 IP and over 100K pitching. Thats a crazy season.
bigjag19
AG
That team must be scary good.
Buck Compton
AG
bigjag19 said:

This is what always cracks me up. The Angels STILL don't do *****.. Made the playoffs in 2014 and got swept in the ALDS. Very rarely are they even in the top half of their division.
bluefire579
AG
bigjag19 said:

https://www.theonion.com/shohei-ohtani-regrets-not-researching-which-teams-were-1828835846
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Yankees down 3-2 tonight to the Angles in the bottom of the fifth.

Stassi singles, Mayfield doubles him to third. Next two guys ground out - no runs score.
Ohtani comes up and NY intentionally walks him to load the bases.
Next guy, Gosselin, 2 -run single to make it 5-2, Ohtani to third.

Ohtani steals home, 6-2.

W
AG
oh my goodness...apparently Ohtani signed a 2-year agreement with the Angels before the season...

such that he won't go to arbitration in the offseason...and will only make $5.5 MM in 2022.

wow, the Angels' front office finally won a deal
Faustus
Wow.
That was a steal. I imagine the Angels will try to up and extend that over the off-season rather than leave him massively underpaid for most of the remainder of his serf years.
bearkatag15
AG

Capped off a nice season with a trophy
The Porkchop Express
So ends the greatest year of fantasy baseball I'll ever have in this lifetime. Both MVPs and the NL Cy Young Award winner all on the same roster.
TexMike
Buck Compton said:

bigjag19 said:

This is what always cracks me up. The Angels STILL don't do *****.. Made the playoffs in 2014 and got swept in the ALDS. Very rarely are they even in the top half of their division.
Kinda sad considering the talent they have in Trout & Ohtani. Seems like they're starting to address the pitching issue seriously though. I think that's all they've been drafting and signing lately.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.