Has there ever been such a collection of power hitters than the Yankees right now?

1,751 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AustinCountyAg
hawk1689
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They have seven players who have hit 30+ home runs within the last 4 years. This includes three guys that have hit more than 40 and two with more than 50 in a season. This list does not include Luke Voit, who hit 22 home runs in a 60 game season. It does not include Miguel Andujar, Gio Urshela, DJ LeMahieu, Brett Gardner, or Aaron Hicks...who have all homered more than 25 times in that same time period. I know they play in a home run hitters park, but I've never seen anything like it.
strider98
and they'll probably lead the league in strikeouts too. And their offense is just middle of the road.
Mathguy64
AG
Umm, they slash .238/.328/.399. That ranks 17th, 7th and 19th in MLB. They have a wRC+ of 102. Their team WAR is 14th in the league. RBIs you ask? They rank 21st. Oh. Power hitters. Right. Wellnot really. The rank 7th in the AL and 11th overall in total HRs. They are 7th in the league in SOs but only have had the luxury of Joey Gallo for a month so they can still improve there.

In short, the NY Yankees are not very good at hitting the baseball this year.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
'61 Yankees had 2 guys with 21, one with 22, one with 28, Mantle with 54, and Marris with 61.

'19 Twins has Polanco with 22, Schoop with 23, Cron with 25, Garver with 31, Rosario with 32, Sano with 34, Kepler with 36, and Cruz with 41.

'97 Mariners had Sorento with 31, A_Rod with 23, Russ Davis with 20, Edgar with 28, Buhner with 40, Griffery with 56

'27 Yankees, Ruth had 60, Gehrig had 47. Yankees finished with 158. The A's finished second in homers with 56. Both Gehrig and Ruth had more homers individually than the White Sox, Senators, Red Sox, or Indians. Ruth had more than the Red Sox and Senators combined.
Deluxe
AG
Yankees offense this year is very average, granted they've been slightly above average since acquiring Gallo and Rizzo.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
hawk1689 said:

They have seven players who have hit 30+ home runs within the last 4 years. This includes three guys that have hit more than 40 and two with more than 50 in a season. This list does not include Luke Voit, who hit 22 home runs in a 60 game season. It does not include Miguel Andujar, Gio Urshela, DJ LeMahieu, Brett Gardner, or Aaron Hicks...who have all homered more than 25 times in that same time period. I know they play in a home run hitters park, but I've never seen anything like it.
Yankees are currently tied for 8th in the AL in home runs, 30 behind the Blue Jays.
Ag_07
AG
But chicks dig the long ball bruh
BMX Bandit
Quote:

They have seven players who have hit 30+ home runs within the last 4 years
so they have guys that used to be good?
hawk1689
AG
I'm not a Yankee fan. I don't care that they haven't been impressive so far this year. What they have done, is put together the most power hitters on one single team that I've ever seen. No, they aren't all guys that "used to be good". They're all guys that have the ability to do it again. I'd be hesitant to diminish their ability to perform as well, seeing as they've gone 19-4 since acquiring two of the sluggers. No question they will strike out a ton with that lineup. I'll be interested to see how it works out.
Mathguy64
AG
In 21 games since Aug 1, the Bombers have averaged a whopping 5.48 runs per game. They have allowed 3.33. Of the 71 runs they have given up, 24 have come in 3 of the 4 losses. That drops the runs allowed to 2.61 in the other 18.

They are winning because they are pitching lights out.
hawk1689
AG
You're saying that like 5.48 runs per game isn't good.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm suggesting they are winning primarily because the other teams aren't being allowed to score. If they keep allowing 3.3 runs per game on average they will win a lot more. If they keep allowing 2.6 runs a game they will win it all.
Deluxe
AG
Since acquiring Gallo and Rizzo, the Yankees have an wRc+ of 114, which is the 8th best in baseball. That's solid but Mathguy is correct that the Yankees are winning because of their pitching.
hawk1689
AG
I do remember seeing the stat lines from the 2019 Twins and thinking that's never been done. I think it might be tainted though because that was the year all of baseball seemed to break home run records.
W
AG
the 1977 Dodgers had 4 players hit 30 home runs...and while of course playing half their games in Dodger Stadium.

Dusty -- 30
Garvey -- 33
Cey -- 30
Reggie Smith -- 32
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
1973 Braves:

Davey Johnson 43
Darrell Evans 41
Hank Aaron 40

That has to top them all. Three guys with 40+

And a 24-year-old Dusty Baker hit 21. Yep, he was 24 in NINETEEN SEVENTY THREE.
AustinAg2K
The seven guys who hit 30+ HRs in the previous four seasons was done by the 2019 Twins. They had five guys top 30 in 2019 alone.

2019:
Garver 31
Sano 34
Rosario 32
Kepler 36
Cruz 41

2018:
Cron 30

2017:
Shoop 32

I'm guessing if you went back and looked at some of the lineups of teams back in the 2000's, you'd find other teams that had similar feats. I find the Twins a more impressive lineup, since most of their players hit 30 that season. I'm guessing the Yankees only have 3 guys top 30 this year. As a pitcher, I don't think I'm that intimidated by a dude hits the ball 600 ft and then strikes out his next 6 plate appearances. I'm much more concerned with offenses that constantly have guys on base.
hawk1689
AG
The Twins of the late 80's were the gold standard of my childhood with Hrbek, Brunansky, Puckett, and Gaetti. There were some impressive numbers put up in the 90's but they just don't seem as exciting in retrospect.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
And if we're throwing out ball park bias, then the late 90s Colorado Rockies are the real gold standard. It's sort of amazing none of those guys broke the home run record or won a triple crown.

95 Rockies
Galarraga 31 HR
Castilla 32 HR
Bichete 40 HR
Walker 36 HR

96 Rockies
Galarraga 119 R, 47 HR, 150 RBI, .304
Castilla 97 R, 40 HR, 113 RBI, .304
Burks 142 R, 40 HR, 128 RBI, .344
Bichette 114 R, 31 HR, 141 RBI, .313

97 Rockies
Galarraga 41 HR, 140 RBI, .318
Catilla 40 HR, 113 RBI, .304
Bichette 26 HR, 118 RBI, .308
Walker 49 HR, 130 RBI, .366
Burks 32 HR, 82 RBI in 119 games!

99 Rockies
Helton 35 HR, 113 RBI, .320
Castilla 33 HR, 102 RBI, .275
Bichette 34 HR, 133 RBI, .298
Walker 37 HR, 115 RBI, .379

AustinCountyAg
I've been watching the yankees a ton this year, more than the astros actually and they are brutal to watch.
They either strikeout, or homerun. If they all get hot at the same time lookout, but when they are cold they suck. Their inability to move runners over really hurts their offense.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.