Dodger Stadium

2,950 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Booma94
Booma94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to LA and looking to catch a game at Dodger Stadium. Anyone have gameday experience advice? Parking suggestions? Best seats for the price? Any other info? TIA.
MaxPower
TOFA?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Chavez Ravine has its own climate, so I would suggest checking a localized weather forecast and dressing accordingly .The day I went to a game there in 2005, it was 87 degrees in Simi Valley, 93 in LA, and 102 at Dodger Stadium, where I proceeded to get the worst sunburn of my entire life.

I sat in the left field bleachers, about 3 rows up, and had a blast talking to the fans there. Granted this is 15 years ago, and they weren't playing the Astros, nor was I wearing any Astro gear, nor was there the history that has befallen the two teams since, but I found the fans I was around to be funny and very invested in their baseball.

Parking - I would say leave to get there and arrive as soon as you can. LA traffic is the worst thing I've seen in my entire life. We were there in June 2019 and took 7 hours to get from LA to San Diego in the middle of the day because of all the screwups in the traffic.

Definitely have a couple of Dodger dogs. They aren't world-class, but the size for the price is great. Otherwise, enjoy a whole different culture than ours - they play a great version of Hotel California in Spanish during the 7th inning stretch (at least they did when I was there) - and the place has got incredible history - when you see their list of retired numbers, it will blow your mind.

WoMD
Main thing I learned from times going there, which I'm sure varies based on who they're playing, but do NOT wear opposing the teams' shirts, hats, etc. Fans there can be flat out dangerous. And I'm not just talking about against giants fans, which is a given. Last game I went to against the Cubs, a group of thugs zeroed in on a Cubs fan who was stupid enough to go to the game by himself. I was legitimately worried for his safety as they harassed him (and not in a friendly good natured way) from his seats all the way out of the stadium. I assume he got home ok, but to be honest, i shouldn't make that assumption.

Horrible horrible fans in terms of how they treat opposing fans. They can be literally violent. At a baseball game.
chick79
AG
I've never been but I know there was a case of the San Francisco Giants fan who was almost killed in the parking lot by Dodger fans. My niece used to live there and they stopped going to the games because it was in a rough part of town and they felt like it was just too dangerous to go anymore.
jetch17
AG
whatever gametime is, leave at least 2-3 hours early from anywhere in the city.

when we went for the world series in '17 we met at the hotel bar at 2:00pm for a beer before the game, i think the game was at 5:30, the bartender said "leave now or you wont make first pitch" and hell if we didnt get to our seats right as the pitchers arm was throwing the first one. We were 11 miles from the stadium.

youll get heckled hard if youre in opposing teams colors.
Booma94
AG
jetch17 said:

whatever gametime is, leave at least 2-3 hours early from anywhere in the city.

when we went for the world series in '17 we met at the hotel bar at 2:00pm for a beer before the game, i think the game was at 5:30, the bartender said "leave now or you wont make first pitch" and hell if we didnt get to our seats right as the pitchers arm was throwing the first one. We were 11 miles from the stadium.

youll get heckled hard if youre in opposing teams colors.
I don't mind getting heckled, but I'll have my 9yo daughter with me. So for the benefit of her not having to deal with nonsense I'll probably forego wearing my Astros hat and just sport Aggie gear.
jetch17
AG
I managed not to get stabbed after taking the series there and decked out in Astros gear, but given the recent events and bad blood, anything Astros is asking for it

The video posted last week of the stros guy videoing his walk around the concourse pretty much sums it up - I'll have to find it later. Needless to say it was not good.
BCSWguru
Dodgers fans are the worst in baseball, not even close.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I haven't been, but based on the videos I've seen of how people reacted to Astros fans, you may want to avoid wearing anything associating you with the state of Texas. They'll quickly make the jump and probably give you some grief. It really sucks that opposing fans have to think like that, but safety first.
Ag_07
AG
With a 9 year old daughter I wouldn't seriously consider just taking a hard pass.

Certainly not wearing anything associated with Texas.
dixichkn
AG
I concur with all of the above. It's a must-do for any serious baseball fan but if you're wearing anything even remotely connecting you with the opposing team, or especially the state of Texas or the Astros, you're asking for it. Some pretty trashy fans there and you're not exactly in the best part of town, to put it mildly. You have to do it as a baseball fan. But tread lightly.
LawHall88
AG
Quito
AG
I went the day after the Debacle against UCLA at the Rose Bowl.

Stadium is huge...largest in MLB

Beautiful views and site lines. Loved the palm trees and view of downtown

We uber'd, but drop off was pretty far away and hike to stadium was uphill and not easy...and I'm a runner.

Fans were very rude to each other. Nobody really talked to us, but group of about 5 guys in their 20's were really teasing and making fun of a guy who was clearly on a date. They pretty much picked a fight with him for no reason and we had to step in.

It was incredibly hot. Whoever said Chavez Ravine has its own climate is correct...of course we were still hungover from the 2nd half of UCLA game.

WestTexasAg
AG
I went to a game there in 1988. Saw Kirk Gibson hit a home run that day against the Reds. Sure enough, later that year he hit the famous home run against Oakland in the World Series!

I went back in 2017 to an Eagles concert. Virtually nothing had changed at that old stadium since 1988! Faded colored chairs, faded metal, etc. The stadium is in need of a major overhaul. Dodger Dogs are highly overrated.

Still, the setting on top of the hill is cool. The old 60's looking architecture of the outfield seat canopies is kind of cool. It's not Fenway or Wrigley, but its still worth taking in a game there. Just avoid getting seats down the right field line towards the foul pole unless you want the sun in your face!
AgRyan04
It's pretty amazing to think that it is the third oldest ballpark still in use
WestTexasAg
AG
AgRyan04 said:

It's pretty amazing to think that it is the third oldest ballpark still in use
I thought the same thing when I read that. Had no idea.
Booma94
AG
Follow up-

Attended the game on Saturday afternoon. Had seats on the front row, field level, in left field by the bullpen.

One of the best game day stadium experiences I've had. The centerfield area is awesome. I sported Aggie gear and had a couple of people give me a Gig 'em, but not a negative comment from anyone. I was impressed by just about every aspect of the stadium, the staff, the history on display, the fans (surprisingly) and the entire experience.

I've only been to 6 MLB stadiums, but this was easily the 2nd best atmosphere I've experienced behind only Fenway.

Highly recommend for anyone who is a baseball fan.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.