Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!

2,714 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Bonfired
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You mean it's not normal to keep paying guys 20 years after their last game?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

I wonder if the Mets new owner will try to renegotiate that deal to wrap it up early.
tjack16
AG

ORAggieFan
Once you've had a payday more than Bonilla gets, this day really loses its luster.
Chrundle the Great
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

I wonder if the Mets new owner will try to renegotiate that deal to wrap it up early.

Apparently he and Bonilla regularly talk and his plan is to go the opposite direction and "embrace" the day with fan festivities etc.
https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2021/07/01/bobby-bonilla-day-mets-celebrate/7823541002/
AustinAg2K
I love the idea of giving Bonilla a giant check every year. Renegotiating won't really save that much money. Embrace the ridiculousness. Give away fake checks to the fans. Pick a random fan from the stadium and give them a matching check. Give a matching donation to a charity for kids who can't read good. Own the day and it will turn from a joke into something to celebrate every year.
AgRyan04
It's probably cheaper for them to keep paying it out as inflation grows over time
Trucker 96
Yeah, reality as far as the current ownership goes is that it was a debt factored into (reducing) the price of the team. So you may as well embrace the marketing opportunity it presents
ORAggieFan
AgRyan04 said:

It's probably cheaper for them to keep paying it out as inflation grows over time
They're paying him 8% interest.
Trucker 96
8% was the rate to turn the initial $5.9 he was owed into this type of annuity, however, it's basically moot at this point since that was a deal done long ago. At this point if the current Mets ownership wanted to pay it off, it would be a whole new negotiation to agree on a discount rate. I think Bonilla is enjoying the fact that (1) he can't blow money he doesn't have yet (forced financial "discipline" which many ex players suck at) and (2) there is an annual publicity ego stroke now.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I don't know what's funnier, that Bonilla pitched an inning in 2001 at age 38 or that he got Craig Counsell to ground into an inning-ending double play.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SLN/SLN200104170.shtml
Aggie1205
07ag
AG
https://ts.la/eric59704
YokelRidesAgain
AG
On this most glorious of days, take a moment to remember that the Mets' owner in 2001 thought this was a good deal because he was getting a much better return than 8% on his investments with--

Bernie Madoff.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Carlo4
AG
Bump
Bonfired
AG
Was just about to go search for this thread...(yearly tip of the cap to BB and his agent).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.