Trevor Bauer in big trouble

17,869 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggies2009
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aggie95 said:

maybe already discussed but....what kind of treatment does Bauer get if he ever pitches in Houston again?
He won't be pitching again. Even if he gets off (pun intended) with a minor sentence, no team is going to hire a guy who is known as a woman beater.
AustinCountyAg
interesting facts in the article. The chick has hooked up with Tatis Jr. and Clevinger as well. She a cleat chaser. However, I am not condoning what Bauer did.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32041332/attorney-dodgers-trevor-bauer-cross-examines-woman-day-2-restraining-order-hearing
jenn96
AG
I'm definitely leaning towards "why not both?" in this mess. This chick is a mess and was encouraging Bauer every step of the way. Her communication with him was absolutely consensual as far as he knew. And I'm not very sympathetic to any one who literally decides to go have violent sex with a stranger and then complains that it was violent, then goes back from more with enthusiasm. That is the epitome of winning a stupid prize.

And Bauer - good lord, what a head case he is. Obviously gets off hitting and abusing women sexually, gaslighting, verbal abuse and manipulation, plus his overall sociopath personality. He'll probably kill someone doing this someday.

I imagine she'll get her restraining order, he'll get charged with nothing or plead down to some misdemeanor charge, and MLB won't touch him again with a 10-foot pole. Rightfully.

n_touch
jenn96 said:

I'm definitely leaning towards "why not both?" in this mess. This chick is a mess and was encouraging Bauer every step of the way. Her communication with him was absolutely consensual as far as he knew. And I'm not very sympathetic to any one who literally decides to go have violent sex with a stranger and then complains that it was violent, then goes back from more with enthusiasm. That is the epitome of winning a stupid prize.

And Bauer - good lord, what a head case he is. Obviously gets off hitting and abusing women sexually, gaslighting, verbal abuse and manipulation, plus his overall sociopath personality. He'll probably kill someone doing this someday.

I imagine she'll get her restraining order, he'll get charged with nothing or plead down to some misdemeanor charge, and MLB won't touch him again with a 10-foot pole. Rightfully.

Is there any chance that he can say that he did some but not all of it? I know how she looked when photographed but without some type of collaborating evidence he will be able to walk. He can afford lawyers people only dream about.

Also. MLB let Chapman back in after pointing a gun at someone, I think Bauer gets back in.
jenn96
AG
I don't know but in his texts with her he's apologetic about all the damage he caused and hopes she feels better, she sent him pics of her bruises and doctor reports. Seems like if he was going to argue he couldn't have done that much damage it would be in those exchanges.

I think his whole defense is that she wanted him to do it. which is actually supported by all her communication. She told friends and the cops that she didn't like the level of violence but always texted Bauer that she wanted more, harder, etc. I don't know how California law works regarding a situation where the victim is literally urging her assailant to do it again to her. Which is why I think if he is even charged, he'll plead down to something low and get counseling, community service, probation etc.

If this was 5 years ago I'd agree about him coming back, but in today's environment I don't see him a lot of room for redemption. And it's not like he's built up a reservoir of goodwill with teammates and fans.
Aggies2009
AG
n_touch said:

jenn96 said:

Is there any chance that he can say that he did some but not all of it? I know how she looked when photographed but without some type of collaborating evidence he will be able to walk. He can afford lawyers people only dream about.

Also. MLB let Chapman back in after pointing a gun at someone, I think Bauer gets back in.
That's what I figure will happen. He'll agree that he had violent sex, but claim it was consensual, noting that she came back for more many times asking for more. Whether he'll be back in the MLB? I doubt it. His success was due to sticky stuff, so unless he somehow has a way of applying it undetected, he's not worth the baggage.
Fat Bib Fortuna
n_touch said:

jenn96 said:

Pointing a gun at someone seems minor compared to beating the **** out of two different women, regardless ot the context of the encounter.
AustinAg2K
Maybe it's because I'm not into violent sex, but I just can't believe when she was asking for rough sex she was expecting the beating she got. I feel like all the text messages with Bauer are meaningless except to prove that he did in fact beat her. The fact that she had a previous relationship with Tatis is inconsequential to this case. It doesn't matter that she had alcohol issues in the past. There's a very good likely hood that she's a gold digging *****, but that doesn't mean he gets to beat her ass. To me, all that matters is did he knock her out and then continue to hit her and have sex with her, and continued to beat her. I've never seen him dispute that he knocked her out. It seems to me his defense strategy is "She's a ***** who was asking for it."

Even if she was asking for rough sex in texts, I think there's a level of what can reasonably be expected. She could have said, "I want you to murder me with your cock" but that doesn't mean he can literally kill her.

Also, if charges are eventually brought against him, I don't see how he doesn't plea. A jury is going to give him the max sentence. The pictures are awful, but throw on to that his "3 rules for dating" and all of his degrading tweets towards women. The jury will eat him alive (If Trevor Bauer is reading this, I mean that figuratively. They won't be allowed to literally eat him with a knife and fork).
Marvin
AG
So Bauer, a macho braggard who has never passed up the chance to open his mouth and puff his chest out, is pleading the 5th today. What an absolute midget of a man- yeah, as if we didn't know that already.

Lock this piece of trash up, throw away the key, and tattoo "chode" across his face case he ever sees the light of day.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
knoxtom
He is is pleading the 5th because he is under criminal investigation and everything said can be used on the criminal side.

In this hearing the burden of proof is preponderance of evidence. In criminal it is beyond a reasonable doubt. Do you really think he wants a criminal trial on a lesser standard of proof? Because that is essentially what happens if he testifies today.

If he didn't take the fifth today he would be an idiot. It isn't about being a chode, it is about being smart and following his lawyers advice.
Proposition Joe
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Aggie95 said:

maybe already discussed but....what kind of treatment does Bauer get if he ever pitches in Houston again?
He won't be pitching again. Even if he gets off (pun intended) with a minor sentence, no team is going to hire a guy who is known as a woman beater.

I'm assuming this was said in jest, if so -- bravo.
Marvin
AG
knoxtom said:

He is is pleading the 5th because he is under criminal investigation and everything said can be used on the criminal side.

In this hearing the burden of proof is preponderance of evidence. In criminal it is beyond a reasonable doubt. Do you really think he wants a criminal trial on a lesser standard of proof? Because that is essentially what happens if he testifies today.

If he didn't take the fifth today he would be an idiot. It isn't about being a chode, it is about being smart and following his lawyers advice.

I understand how the process works, thanks. It's actually what the DA did to trap OJ. Still, don't care. Chode.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
baseballaficionado
The restraining order was just denied by the court:

Quote:

The judge said the "injuries as shown in the photographs are terrible" but added, "If she set limits and he exceeded them, this case would've been clear. But she set limits without considering all the consequences, and respondent did not exceed limits that the petitioner set."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32051068/woman-denied-restraining-order-trevor-bauer
Aggies2009
AG
baseballaficionado said:

The restraining order was just denied by the court:

Quote:

The judge said the "injuries as shown in the photographs are terrible" but added, "If she set limits and he exceeded them, this case would've been clear. But she set limits without considering all the consequences, and respondent did not exceed limits that the petitioner set."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32051068/woman-denied-restraining-order-trevor-bauer
I wondered how something like this would go down in court.

Technically a lot of things that people do in the bedroom is illegal. If someone consents/gives limits and the other person stays within those limits, I guess that makes it okay in the eyes of the law.

Still, Trevor Bauer is a grade A a-hole and pretty clearly has a very damaged psychology. I hope he seeks and gets help/
EastCoastAgNc
AG
What happened today has no bearing on the criminal proceedings.
Aggies2009
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

What happened today has no bearing on the criminal proceedings.
True, but I find it extremely hard to think there will be criminal charges brought up after this ruling and the reasoning behind it. Her texts to Bauer asking for everything and then to her friends claiming, "I'm gonna get paid" really kill her case. That and the investigation is taking a long time.

I doubt he plays again this season, but this does leave MLB and the Dodgers in a tough spot. His leave expires tomorrow and I'm guessing he's going to argue that he should be reinstated. Might be an interesting next 24 hours.
jenn96
AG
Yeah I'm genuinely surprised at this. I guess the judge thought they deserved each other lol. I thought she'd get the restraining order, but there would be no criminal (or minimal) charges. Then MLB/Dodgers would use the restraining order as a basis to suspend him indefinitely - now they're n a bind. Can you suspend or release a player just for being a garbage person when they're been legally cleared? Does the union have guidelines that they have to follow? I know MLB is doing their own investigation, just curious how this all plays out.

I also feel like there's no way he is criminally charged. The proof for conviction is a lot higher than the evidence needed for a restraining order. Unless they search his house and find homemade snuff films or something.
AustinAg2K
It really has no bearing on criminal charges. The case today was not attempting to prove he beat her. It was attempting to prove he is still a threat to her. I think I read a while ago that they had not spoken in a couple of months, if that's true, then it makes sense that she didn't get a restraining order.
Mathguy64
AG
The Dodgers right now owe him the remainder of his $40MM this year and all $45MM for next year. Tye minute MLB takes him off the Admin Leave he's free to come back to the team. If they don't want him they still have to pay him and the way they removed all his team gear from the store it seems clear they don't want him back. That's a huge sunk cost.
Aggies2009
AG
AustinAg2K said:

It really has no bearing on criminal charges. The case today was not attempting to prove he beat her. It was attempting to prove he is still a threat to her. I think I read a while ago that they had not spoken in a couple of months, if that's true, then it makes sense that she didn't get a restraining order.

That's not why the judge denied her restraining order, though.
Aggies2009
AG
Mathguy64 said:

The Dodgers right now owe him the remainder of his $40MM this year and all $45MM for next year. Tye minute MLB takes him off the Admin Leave he's free to come back to the team. If they don't want him they still have to pay him and the way they removed all his team gear from the store it seems clear they don't want him back. That's a huge sunk cost.

Yeeeahhh signing him to that huge contract wasn't the smartest thing to do in the first place. His rise to power was painfully obviously due to cheating, and as I said earlier, he's a complete a-hole. If they have to eat the cost of his contract, that's really on them.
Mathguy64
AG
One of the interesting things that came out during testimony was that Bauer boasted to her that he used Spider Tack.
Aggies2009
AG
Mathguy64 said:

One of the interesting things that came out during testimony was that Bauer boasted to her that he used Spider Tack.

He was open about it a couple years ago. But when nobody did anything he got far more egregious about it. Real winner this dude is.

Was it Spider Tack? Everything I read showed where he had his own formula of something that was harder to detect and that was a reason the Dodgers wanted him so badly for his formula. And would explain why they're so quick to want to get rid of him now.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Aggies2009 said:

AustinAg2K said:

That's not why the judge denied her restraining order, though.

Yep. The basis of the judge's denial would have him found not guilty of a crime for the actual acts. She set some extremely high limits and never said to stop, so no basis to say he exceeded the limits, per the judge
Post removed:
by user
Aggies2009
AG
Bregxit said:

Aggies2009 said:

Mathguy64 said:

He was open about it a couple years ago. But when nobody did anything he got far more egregious about it. Real winner this dude is.

Was it Spider Tack? Everything I read showed where he had his own formula of something that was harder to detect and that was a reason the Dodgers wanted him so badly for his formula. And would explain why they're so quick to want to get rid of him now.
He had his own stuff. He is a dewsh canoe for sure but I don't hate on him for the sticky stuff. He shouted from the mountaintops for several years about people using it and no one paid attention to it. Then he flat out announced, the season before he started using it full time, that he would prove the difference it made in performance. In one of his games he started without using anything, then he used stuff for an inning, then he stopped. The spin rate differences spoke for themselves. Most folks still weren't listening. See the following video...

Yeah I agree with just about everything you said. He actually said "watch my spin rate y'all " before that one-inning performance.

But do you think he was worth that big a contract?
Post removed:
by user
Coby
AG
It might've been worth it until the crack down. But now? No way, and I think they'll do anything they can to avoid paying it.

The Dodgers had the biggest spin rate discrepancy of any team this season. Started exactly after he got there.

It's a weird situation. I respect the hell out of what he tried to do and then unfortunately there's this.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Marvin said:

So Bauer, a macho braggard who has never passed up the chance to open his mouth and puff his chest out, is pleading the 5th today. What an absolute midget of a man- yeah, as if we didn't know that already.

Lock this piece of trash up, throw away the key, and tattoo "chode" across his face case he ever sees the light of day.
If you read his bio, he's the exact opposite of macho. He was absolutely obsessed with pitching as a kid to the point of not making friends, and was so disliked by his own teammates that he intentionally graduated high school a year early to get away from them. This is a progression of caustic behavior on his part that his parents and coaches should have tried to get him help for as a kid - but when you're a great athlete at an early age, in many cases people will look the other way about what the rest of your behavior is like or excuse it away as the pressures of being great. The sad fact is that if you're a marvelous athlete, people want to capitalize on that no matter how messed up the rest of your life is. The greatest responsibility a parent, teacher, or coach can exert is to take a troubled child away from the game and focus on their mental health and ability to engage in socially acceptable and healthy behaviors.

In my 1990s sportswriter days, I had to report on 4 different football players who had been great HS talents but once they were out of HS/college, they couldn't find healthy outlets for all that violence they had been so praised and adulated for on the field - 2 committed armed robbery while on Christmas break from Sam Houston, lost their scholarships and each served 8-10; a third broke into an elderly woman's house and raped her and got 20+ in the big house, and the fourth got into an argument with his mom over the remote control and wound up killing her with a butcher knife. He got 40 years for first-degree murder. All of them within 2-5 years of graduating HS.

Trevor Bauer has likely had all these issues for a long time, but becoming a bazilionaire is just letting the darker side of him indulge in whatever effed up stuff he can imagine. He needs to get out of baseball and get help before he further damages someone else or himself, whether that means a prison sentence, probation, or just some intensive therapy, whatever works.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Post removed:
by user
Propane & Accessories
AG
Dislike him a lot (as a Giants and Mets fan not too hard to do) but some it was funny but he is a classic Narcissist.
. . .
wangus12
AG
. . . said:

Of course he doesn't
ColoradoMooseHerd
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

If you read his bio, he's the exact opposite of macho. He was absolutely obsessed with pitching as a kid to the point of not making friends, and was so disliked by his own teammates that he intentionally graduated high school a year early to get away from them.

Not exactly the way it went, Bauer was much more competitive than everyone else on the team. Not just at pitching but from shagging balls, to hitting, to everything. Many of the other players were much more laid back as California Players often are and liked to razz him about it a lot knowing that they could get a rise out of him everytime.

Bauer was committed to being the best pitcher he knew how and knew that was not the right environment for a guy that is as focused as he is, so he removed himself from the setting and went on to UCLA and kicked ass.

Maybe you would have liked him to smoke a little pot and drink a little beer with the guys and not take everything so seriously, but he pretty much did become the best pitcher in the game.

And how messed up his sex life might be, the prosecutors and the judges said that he did not do anything that was not asked for and consented to, so no charges were filed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.