Youth baseball (kid brag warning)

3,516 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieGunslinger
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, I know there are 437 different "World Series" in youth baseball but my kid's team had an excellent week in Gulf Shores for the Perfect Game 10U (open division) World Series. We went 6-2, Beating teams from Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee to win the championship.

It was a whole lot of fun for the parents and the kids. Due to some scheduling issues we couldn't get a block of rooms at hotel or condos and since 4 families already have big campers or 5th wheels the rest of us rented campers and we all stayed at the same RV park. Kids running around playing whiffle ball, parents hanging out grilling and having a good time. Just fun times all around. Boys got to go to the beach and do all kinds of fun stuff like go-carts and the water park as a team.

Plus, they played really excellent baseball. Turned a couple legit 6-4-3 double plays, pulling off a suicide squeeze to win a game, and even though my kid didn't hit well, he pitched 3.2 innings, struck out 8, walked 3, but gave up no hits or runs. He also hosed a couple kids from RF- one a kid hit a shot over his head off the wall that he ran down, turned and threw a laser that nailed the kid who thought he had a sure double. And the other he started a 9-2 double play by catching a fly ball in right and then nailed the kid trying to tag & score from 3rd.

For some reason I can't get the pic to post but imagine a bunch of 10-year olds with gaudy $3 Championship rings smiling like it's Christmas morning.
brotherbear
AG
Congrats!! I assume y'all were the Rookies? I was there with my son as well. The team from NB. We lost the semi game, otherwise would have played y'all. It was a blast but a long drive back yesterday and wasn't fun being back at work today.
TarponChaser
brotherbear said:

Congrats!! I assume y'all were the Rookies? I was there with my son as well. The team from NB. We lost the semi game, otherwise would have played y'all. It was a blast but a long drive back yesterday and wasn't fun being back at work today.

Yessir.

Saw y'all play. Nice squad but it seemed like y'all just ran out of pitching. I saw y'all hit the ball around a lot.
brotherbear
AG
Yeah they ran out of gas. Was our third game that day. Maybe we will run into y'all at some point. We plan on coming to Houston this fall for a tournament.

Again congrats to your boy. It's an accomplishment to travel that far and earn that ring. I bet that one will mean the most.
TarponChaser
brotherbear said:

Yeah they ran out of gas. Was our third game that day. Maybe we will run into y'all at some point. We plan on coming to Houston this fall for a tournament.

Again congrats to your boy. It's an accomplishment to travel that far and earn that ring. I bet that one will mean the most.

Congrats to y'all as well. You guys have a good squad. There were some tough teams.

As for the fall, my boy is playing tackle football for the first time this fall. He says he wants to play baseball too but I don't see how that will happen. It's just too much to balance everything and still handle business in school.

Also, the whole team is joining the Dynasty organization this fall up here in Kingwood. The whole team except for one kid came from Dynasty when we started this team last January due to some drama the team left en masse. But the guy who started all the drama was fired from Dynasty after this group left. This fall there's some kids like mine who are taking off the fall to from baseball to play other sports so the support of a big organization is key to keep a core group together. What that means for next spring I don't know.
brotherbear
AG
Yep, select ball is full of drama.

We did both baseball and Extreme Flag last fall. It worked well because there were six kids from baseball and head coach was an assistant with football. So we worked baseball around football. Just one practice a week and one tournament a month. We all thought about tackle this coming fall but will end up doing Extreme one more year. Sounds like tackle is a bigger commitment time wise.
6-4-3
AG
It's a long, long road. Good times and hard times. But it is FUN if the parents allow it to be. I would say that there are stages. You are in a FUN stage. 12 u and below is the fun stuff. 10u is great!!! Enjoy!!! The transitions are:

13u. Bigger fields. Longer throws. More outfield. Heavy bats and puberty
15u. High school. Sub varsity cuts. Even heavier bats. Beer and girls enter the picture for a few. Fork in the road. S&C counts
17u. Many guys that were the best in 12u have faded away. Others that were good still care but have stopped growing long ago. Booze and girls are enticing. And grinding is boring and hard.

Looking back, 12u is a very fun and exiting time. 10u is pretty cool too!!! Enjoy!!!
MAROON
AG
Highway_6 said:

Beer and girls enter the picture for a few.

Had an old coach tell me one-time that he lost more players in high school to fumes disease than anything else. Perfume and Gasoline.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
TarponChaser
I've said before, I just want my kid to develop and have fun at this point. Have enough success that he loves the game. He's a big kid (about 5'4" 145#) and is gonna be a big man. I'm 6'3" and he's supposed to be 6'5". I want him to develop and have a sound base of fundamentals so that if he does end up 6'5" the physical tools intersects the skills. He loves pitching, hit 64 recently and can throw a legit change-up that runs in on righthanders and drops off the table when he throws it right.
MSFC Aggie
AG
My FIL lives up the road from that complex in Gulf Shores. I always hoped my son would be able to play there, but he never got the chance. Glad you guys got to experience it.

And agree with the above poster.....10U and 12U are the best.
agsalaska
AG
We just finished an epic 9u season. We won two tournaments and lost in the finals three times. I thought the transition from coach pitch would be the hardest year and it was but not for the reasons I thought.

On Sunday our boys who are 9u AAA and our town's older boys who are 10u played in the championship games next to each other so I spent the entire day contrasting the two. Obviously the 10 year olds were a little bigger and faster and all of that, but the biggest difference seemed to be maturity. Our team still has a few boys that cry after striking out or making an error, bottle flip in the dugout, have to run to the bathroom, etc. Our older boys seem to be, for the most part, past that.

The transition to real baseball actually went pretty smooth. Our coach pitch pitcher threw the ball pretty hard so the adjustment to real pitching wasn't that big of a deal.

In our last game yesterday we faced a pitcher in 9u that threw 60mph. We have a pocket radar gun and clocked him several times. He was phenomenal. We scored twice against him and my son, who loves the 65mph cage, pulled him twice. But he was too much to overcome. My son told me in the car that he now knows what its like to face Aroldis Chapman.

We still have District and State(Texas Teenage) coming up in league ball.

Last, small town Select baseball, in conjunction with league ball, is a blast. All of the parents know each other and the boys go to the same couple of Elementary schools. We seem to have for the most part avoided most of the drama that I hear about from the Austin teams.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
TarponChaser
Good stuff.

It's fun to watch when the kids play to their potential, isn't it?

Also, I forget- are you the dude involved with the Banditos over in central Texas? One of the guys posting on here was but I forget who.
agsalaska
AG
No that's not me.

I did see the Banditos are trying to move into Central Texas. Saw some tryouts for them

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
TarponChaser
agsalaska said:

No that's not me.

I did see the Banditos are trying to move into Central Texas. Saw some tryouts for them

I found the guy- it's a poster with "Burnet" in his handle.

Anyway, congrats to y'all. We're shut down for the rest of the summer for playing baseball. The boys have some day camps, including one up at A&M, but as far as practicing and playing tournaments we're done until September. And even then my 10-year old might not be playing baseball this fall because he's playing tackle football for the first time. He says he wants to do both but I'm not sure how to make that work. That's a lot of time.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Youth baseball ends at 12u.

After that it's a bunch of individual kids trying to get noticed so they can get a 1/3 scholarship to a ****ty school and the rest of the team that's only there to pay the bills.
TarponChaser
Four Seasons Landscaping said:

Youth baseball ends at 12u.

After that it's a bunch of individual kids trying to get noticed so they can get a 1/3 scholarship to a ****ty school and the rest of the team that's only there to pay the bills.

Feels like there's some anger there.
Quito
AG
We just wrapped up our season. Won the 9U "SlumpBuster" in Omaha. Big tourney associated with CWS. Went 7-0 against teams from AL, AR, CA, and NE.

It's been a blast and our coach is amazing.

TarponChaser
That's cool. Congrats man.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Not anger, there's just a dramatic shift from 12u to 13u, just about anybody who tells you otherwise is playing on a daddy ball team.

The "fun" part of baseball as a kid is over and the grinding to get to the next level is the new priority.
TarponChaser
Four Seasons Landscaping said:

Not anger, there's just a dramatic shift from 12u to 13u, just about anybody who tells you otherwise is playing on a daddy ball team.

The "fun" part of baseball as a kid is over and the grinding to get to the next level is the new priority.

I gotcha.

And I can see that. That's kind of the second big shift I see. First going from coach-pitch to kid-pitch and then about when kids start really hitting puberty full-bore and lots of kids who were studs from 9-12 start getting passed up because they just matured early and we're physically better or the kids who were really fundamentally skilled but they're gonna top out at 5'6" while the kids who are gonna be bigger start to grow into their bodies.
Quito
AG
What about running speed? My boy in pic above has string arm, can hit well and field...plays catcher, 3B and pitcher.

He's below average running....looks like Babe Ruth running. Is there hope that he will get faster as he grows? I'm 6'3" and my wife is 5'7"
TarponChaser
Quito said:

What about running speed? My boy in pic above has string arm, can hit well and field...plays catcher, 3B and pitcher.

He's below average running....looks like Babe Ruth running. Is there hope that he will get faster as he grows? I'm 6'3" and my wife is 5'7"

Definitely important.

I'm 6'3" the Mrs. is 5'8" and our older one is predicted to be 6'5" while the younger one (he's 6) is slated for 6'4". Anyway, the 10-year old is fast for his size but he's not quick yet. He really has to get going and stretch out of low gear. Before I blew out my knees I could run- at 6'3" 260# I was laser timed at 4.81 in the 40 at the A&M football camp, but from about 10-13 I was slow as hell. It wasn't until I hit puberty and really started to gain the muscle mass that the quickness and speed showed up. I expect it will be the same with my boys and it might be the same with yours, although y'all look to be a bit more slender of frame than me and mine - I played OL at Rice (8 knee surgeries ago) and the Mrs. could have played volleyball at Abilene Christian but chose to just be a student at A&M.
docb
AG
agsalaska said:

No that's not me.

More like trying to move back. I think they were here but maybe had some shake up after one of the coaches got busted with a hooker.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2016/06/30/coach-of-top-select-baseball-team-arrested-in-prostitution-sting-while-overseeing-waco-tournament/
TarponChaser
docb said:

agsalaska said:

No that's not me.

More like trying to move back. I think they were here but maybe had some shake up after one of the coaches got busted with a hooker.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2016/06/30/coach-of-top-select-baseball-team-arrested-in-prostitution-sting-while-overseeing-waco-tournament/

Not just "a coach" but "THE COACH." DeLeon founded the Banditos and I think he's always been based in their main HQ in Tomball.
agsalaska
AG
Wow. I remember that story but it was long before my son started.
PhatMack19
AG
Kid from my town hit a walk off 2 run bomb to win the 12 yr old LL District Champion on Saturday. His dad was in the back of a truck in Right center and caught the ball. Pretty awesome!

https://fb.watch/6qcv-ziGpl/
Four Seasons Landscaping
Serious question, does somebody on the team have a connection to the news station? That's really cool a kid got highlighted like that, news hardly ever pays attention until they get to Waco and play on ESPN/LHN.
agsalaska
AG
That video was awesome. I would like that dad. They were sitting over the right field fence on the back of their trucks pounding down beers.

Our small town teams play well in the league and in select tournaments. But the league stuff is by far the most fun for everyone involved. Every kid twelve and under, at least in smaller towns, miss out if they don't play league. I dont care who they are.

We spent tonight watching our other town's teams play in District, and we don't even play until tomorrow. Big week coming up for my 9 year old.

TarponChaser
That's pretty freaking awesome.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Quick question for the tourney parents here. Who are y'all using for uniforms, just someone local or does anyone have a recommendation. Our team is out of Tyler.
12thMan9
AG
Several manufacturers have travelling reps. Richardson, comes to mind 1st as we used them for hats 1 yr. But there is bound to be a sporting goods store in Tyler that has a catalog of some of the options. Might check the HS program & see who they use.
Ronnie '88
TarponChaser
AggieGunslinger said:

Quick question for the tourney parents here. Who are y'all using for uniforms, just someone local or does anyone have a recommendation. Our team is out of Tyler.

We used a local shop and they were OK but a friend's 12U team went through this Triton company and I don't know what they spent but their uniforms are really slick.

https://www.teamtriton.com/custom-baseball-jerseys.html

You can see pics on the teams IG feed: https://www.instagram.com/kingwoodexpressbaseball/
AggieGunslinger
AG
TC thanks for the recommendation, in 5 years of getting baseball uniforms and all-star uniforms plus 3 years of soccer uniforms I have never had a single order be on time or correct the first time with our local shop.

In previous years I used ShirtandLogos.com out of Wisconsin for slowpitch softball teams and had great success but we are looking for a more classic style of uni for this 11u team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.