***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,835,253 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Straw just needs to go back and watch some of those Altuve PA's on repeat. Literally put the ball in play anywhere towards 3B/SS and run it out for a single. Screw power, just get on base.
cc10106
Thank you for the bunt pron, Uncle Mike.
TarponChaser
I totally get the Sabermetrics analysis which runs against bunting but I just cannot believe that the analysis is the same when you're looking at it for a guy like Straw vs. somebody like Bregman. Hell, at this point Kyle Tucker needs to start bunting for a base hit vs the shift and maybe it will help him break out of his slump.

I know the math & statistics but you can't tell me that having guys bunt to get on base, especially speedier guys to beat the shift and set the table for the rest of the lineup doesn't make sense. Getting guys on base who can run and let your Dudes get the extra-base hits is how you put up crooked numbers.
Beat40
bearkatag15 said:

Straw trying to call out the fans for talking ****

If he's hearing crap from the home fans, and if that's what he's trying to do, i'm all for it, man.

The amount of crap they are hearing on the road this year, he shouldn't have to hear crap at home, if he is indeed hearing anything.

People take this game way too seriously sometimes. If he's got good worth ethic and Dusty puts him out there, there's not much he can do except try hard, and I do think he tries hard.

Hopefully the fans aren't talking crap to him at the game, because he's not doing anything to deserve it.
redline248
AG
I wonder if the analytics take into account the effect a baserunner has on the pitcher and defense. Pitcher has to go to the stretch, has to think about holding the runner, especially if he's fast like Straw or Tucker. Does he go full leg kick, or slide to speed up the delivery? Does the defense shorten up to the base and open up bigger holes for the current batter, etc? The value of having a guy on base can't possibly be measured accurately by statistics.
MaxPower
Let's send him to Philly for a week so he can see what actual home town heckling looks like. If this bothers him I'm even more concerned about his existence in the roster. Mental fragility.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I was at that game! And heroically skipped 2 classes to go to it with 4 friends from A&M.

This was Mitch Williams' debut for the Astros, and he did not disappoint, getting 2 quick outs to start the top of the 12th, then going single, single, passed ball (way to go Taubensee), walk, walk, walk, to allow two runs before getting yanked.

Keep in mind this was his first "real" performance since giving up the 1993 WS-ending home run to Joe Carter.

Good guys got a leadoff walk from James Mouton, single by Steve Finley, RBI single by Bagwell, and a two-run walkoff double by Caminiti to win it 6-5.

Was Mouton's major league debut and he went 3-for-5 with a run scored, RBI,and a steal. We all had visions of Cesar Cedeno 2.0 in our heads.

Always remember that day because on the drive back to A&M we heard on the radio that Karl "Tuffy" Rhodes, who the Astros had released to make way for Mouton the year before, had gone 4-for-4 with 3 HR on opening day for the Cubs. Somehow he ended up only hitting 8 HR for the whole year.

Incredibly, the entire 4-hour game is on YouTube. Williams' total meltdown happens around 3:23, Caminiti wins it around 3:57.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
cc10106 said:

First time I've seen it - wow what a job of handling the bat!

Those additional highlights of Straw's IF single, the sac fly, and the game-winning hit really make you question if the Nationals know jack squat about playing defense.
TarponChaser
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

cc10106 said:

First time I've seen it - wow what a job of handling the bat!

Those additional highlights of Straw's IF single, the sac fly, and the game-winning hit really make you question if the Nationals knock jack squat about playing defense.

Que?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It's a typo. I'm sure you could figure it out.
zgood10
AG
Will be at the juice box for the first time since 2019 today. Hope the roof is open
TarponChaser
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

It's a typo. I'm sure you could figure it out.

No, I got that part. But the last time I saw the Nats play was vs. us in the 2019 WS. And I don't recall them employing the shift much. But I do recall them taking efforts to beat the shift by slapping hits the other way and occasional bunts. I cannot recall their lead off guy's name at the moment but he did it several times and the we had to see Juan Soto (who is still only 21 years old by the way #joebucksucks ) drive him in.
bearkatag15
AG
Bregman, Yuli and Tucker have hit Canning well in their few ABs vs him. Todays a good day for Correa to get his first couple hits vs this guy.
agdaddy04
AG
What'd they do wrong on defense?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15
AG
I love that Garcia earned that start today
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545
AG
I don't think Myles' tweet is anything negative

He's just reiterating the fans were "fire" last night
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Putting the "Yank" in Yankee
EastCoastAgNc
AG
LonghornDub
Astros need to acquire outfielders and middle relief. At this point Tucker and Straw are not good enough ML hitters to start in the outfield for a championship team. Other than Pressley and Stanek relievers have sucked.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

Farmer1906
AG
Okay, grandma.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
astros4545
AG
LonghornDub said:

Astros need to acquire outfielders and middle relief. At this point Tucker and Straw are not good enough ML hitters to start in the outfield for a championship team. Other than Pressley and Stanek relievers have sucked.

Baez and Scrubb soon

Then Framber coming back knocks someone to bullpen
Marvin
AG
A day late with this...

"Ok, we won a game yesterday. If we win today, it's called 'two in a row'. And if we win again tomorrow, it's called a 'winning streak'... It has happened before."
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
W
AG
Trout and Rendon both still out.

that will help Odorizzi somewhat
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
W said:

Trout and Rendon both still out.

that will help Odorizzi somewhat
Odorizzi doesn't figure this out soon, I'm going to start calling him Clancy Jr.
AggiEE
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

AggiEE said:

Oh hey guys anything exciting happen
The tribunal meets Saturday morning to decide how long you're banned from the thread.

In my defense for the tribunal today, my overtly negative reaction to the Astros being down 2 runs in extra innings (something we've been terrible at since the rule change), and prompt exit from the thread, likely encouraged the baseball gods to bestow a W to us to keep the faith.

(or that's what I'm going with anyway....)
tjack16
AG
Roof closed today. It's 80 and sunny
Mathguy64
AG
AggiEE said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

AggiEE said:

The tribunal meets Saturday morning to decide how long you're banned from the thread.

In my defense for the tribunal today, my overtly negative reaction to the Astros being down 2 runs in extra innings (something we've been terrible at since the rule change), and prompt exit from the thread, likely encouraged the baseball gods to bestow a W to us to keep the faith.

There ain't but one way out of this self dug hole.

Post TOFA.
Marvin
AG
Mathguy64 said:

AggiEE said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

AggiEE said:

There ain't but one way out of this self dug hole.

Post TOFA.

Gotta man up...
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
tjack16
AG
AggiEE said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

AggiEE said:

The baseball gods do not reward bleeding from fans. We award you no points.
McInnis
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

bearkatag15 said:

I was at that game! And heroically skipped 2 classes to go to it with 4 friends from A&M.

This was Mitch Williams' debut for the Astros, and he did not disappoint, getting 2 quick outs to start the top of the 12th, then going single, single, passed ball (way to go Taubensee), walk, walk, walk, to allow two runs before getting yanked.

Keep in mind this was his first "real" performance since giving up the 1993 WS-ending home run to Joe Carter.

Good guys got a leadoff walk from James Mouton, single by Steve Finley, RBI single by Bagwell, and a two-run walkoff double by Caminiti to win it 6-5.

Was Mouton's major league debut and he went 3-for-5 with a run scored, RBI,and a steal. We all had visions of Cesar Cedeno 2.0 in our heads.

Always remember that day because on the drive back to A&M we heard on the radio that Karl "Tuffy" Rhodes, who the Astros had released to make way for Mouton the year before, had gone 4-for-4 with 3 HR on opening day for the Cubs. Somehow he ended up only hitting 8 HR for the whole year.

Incredibly, the entire 4-hour game is on YouTube. Williams' total meltdown happens around 3:23, Caminiti wins it around 3:57.

I was at that home opener in '94 and I think the HR that Bagwell hit was the hardest hit ball I've ever seen in person. It didn't go that far but it hit the left field scoreboard on a line. It seemed like the ball was still rising when it hit the scoreboard.
bullard21k
AG
I have high hopes for Odorizzi this year. I think he can be one of the better 4/5 starters in the league and an inning eater for us.

He was extremely late to spring and has only had 2 starts the first being rushed back way too soon imo. He is in spring training from a work standpoint.

Trying to use his first two starts as any indication of what rest of season will look like is premature to me
Deluxe
AG
bullard21k said:

I have high hopes for Odorizzi this year. I think he can be one of the better 4/5 starters in the league and an inning eater for us.

He was extremely late to spring and has only had 2 starts the first being rushed back way too soon imo. He is in spring training from a work standpoint.

Trying to use his first two starts as any indication of what rest of season will look like is premature to me

Yea Odo will be fine
First Page Last Page
Page 183 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.