***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,834,718 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A timeline recap for those who did the smart thing and went to sleep

11:25 p.m. Dusty Baker removes Yordan Alvarez from game; TexAgs' crack team of MLB managers and team doctors goes into a full riot that he has lost the game for the team.

12:01 a.m. Dusty Baker moves Chas McCormick from left field to right field and puts Diaz in left field. TexAgs' crack team of MLB Managers and fielding specialsits goes into a full riot that he has lost the game for the team.

12:07 a.m. With the bases loaded and no outs in the bottom of the 10th, wangus12 heads out.

12:09 a.m. Carlos Correa throws a laser beam to home for the first out of the bottom of the 10th.

12:14 a.m. Dusty Baker's new rightfielder, Chas McCormick, makes a 9-2 inning-ending, game-saving double play by hosing Ohtani at the plate.

12:39 am. Zack Attack puts the Astros up 6-5.

12:54 a.m. Josh James takes the mound with a 9-5 lead.

1:00 a.m. Astros win!

1:14 a.m. Chandler Rome reveals that Yordan Alvarez was so sore he was taken out of the game and won't play today either.

1:14.01 a.m TexAgs decides selective memory loss is the way to go concerning Dusty Baker, re: Yordan Alvarez substitution and McCormick LF to RF switch

Ag_07
AG
Just because we won doesn't mean Dusty's decisions were good ones that should be applauded.

The Chas to RF decision wasn't a decision because Diaz can only play LF so Chas has to move.

He's not playing 4D chess. This was once again the talent of this team winning despite the idiot ass sitting there chewing his toothpick through his mask.
Mathguy64
AG
So for those of us who need our beauty sleep, did they ever say how Yordan made himself sore enough to get yanked? I mean he was jogging around the bases just fine when he left a massive crater in the grass hill in CF and didn't attempt a layout catch.
Frok
AG
Farmer1906 said:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/will-astros-re-sign-dusty-baker/amp/

Dusty Baker Gave the Astros Some Dignity. Now Can They Re-sign Him?

Man what a flashback, Richard Justice with terrible takes about the Astros
redline248
AG
Yeah, I understand that Muck has a lot of fun finger wagging at us when we complain about Dusty and win anyway...but let's not act like he's some genius that isn't blindly falling into wins that cover up his stupid decisions.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Also you mentioned "our new RF" but left out that he WAS the RF'er....That was complained about if you put Siri in just insert him in LF originally don't switch Chas only to then switch him back.

I don't know about yall but the fact Siri wasn't left in to hit tells me there is no way he will be on the playoff rosters, no trust there
redline248
AG
Mathguy64 said:

So for those of us who need our beauty sleep, did they ever say how Yordan made himself sore enough to get yanked? I mean he was jogging around the bases just fine when he left a massive crater in the grass hill in CF and didn't attempt a layout catch.
The speculation was when he slid into home, scoring from second. Except he didn't tell anyone he was hurt, he ran out to the field like normal and was ready to go and Dusty said something like he didn't like the way he looked running out to the field.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ag_07 said:

Just because we won doesn't mean Dusty's decisions were good ones that should be applauded.

The Chas to RF decision wasn't a decision because Diaz can only play LF so Chas has to move.

He's not playing 4D chess. This was once again the talent of this team winning despite the idiot ass sitting there chewing his toothpick through his mask.
Did you not see the winky face?

The funny thing is, Dusty can't win with some people. If his decision doesn't work out, it's his fault. If it works out, it's because the players are so amazing. There's no middle ground where the manager of the team gets credit for a single move he makes. Pretty ridiculous.
redline248
AG
I can give Dusty some credit - he walked Ohtani a bunch of times instead of pitch to him in a close game.

edit: I do wonder if AJ would have done it
iamtheglove
redline248 said:

Mathguy64 said:

The speculation was when he slid into home, scoring from second. Except he didn't tell anyone he was hurt, he ran out to the field like normal and was ready to go and Dusty said something like he didn't like the way he looked running out to the field.
When he slid home it looked like he was slightly uncomfortable when he got up, and kind of reached for his knee or leg. Wasn't real obvious but I thought at the time it looked like he was in some mild discomfort.
Mr President Elect
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

A timeline recap for those who did the smart thing and went to sleep

11:25 p.m. Dusty Baker removes Yordan Alvarez from game; TexAgs' crack team of MLB managers and team doctors goes into a full riot that he has lost the game for the team.

12:01 a.m. Dusty Baker moves Chas McCormick from left field to right field and puts Diaz in left field. TexAgs' crack team of MLB Managers and fielding specialsits goes into a full riot that he has lost the game for the team.

12:07 a.m. With the bases loaded and no outs in the bottom of the 10th, wangus12 heads out.

12:09 a.m. Carlos Correa throws a laser beam to home for the first out of the bottom of the 10th.

12:14 a.m. Dusty Baker's new rightfielder, Chas McCormick, makes a 9-2 inning-ending, game-saving double play by hosing Ohtani at the plate.

12:39 am. Zack Attack puts the Astros up 6-5.

12:54 a.m. Josh James takes the mound with a 9-5 lead.

1:00 a.m. Astros win!

1:14 a.m. Chandler Rome reveals that Yordan Alvarez was so sore he was taken out of the game and won't play today either.

1:14.01 a.m TexAgs decides selective memory loss is the way to go concerning Dusty Baker, re: Yordan Alvarez substitution and McCormick LF to RF switch

He was playing RF the whole game, except for the 2 innings that he had Siri in. Us managers would have had him in at RF too b/c we would have never taken Yordan out.
htxag09
AG
Maybe Dusty is just a complete idiot who somehow has gotten every lucky break possible to get where he is and to be managing a team about to enter the playoffs.

Or maybe he knows a little more about his players than we do, seeing how he basically spends 24/7 with them. Maybe there was something "off" with Yordan. Yesterdays game meant absolutely nothing. We ended up playing another 4 innings after pulling Yordan. If he really was tight or sore and had to make a quick run/play, it could have been bad.

If Dusty went all in the rest of the year and passed Tampa for the best record in the AL this thread would ***** because we have to play Toronto. If he rests guys when he thinks they may be tight or sore to heal up and be fresh for the playoffs this thread will ***** because we haven't secured our playoff spot yet and we're taking our guys out of a rhythm!
BMX Bandit
on Yordan, given his leg history:

better safe than sorry.
Farmer1906
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Ag_07 said:

The funny thing is, Dusty can't win with some people. If his decision doesn't work out, it's his fault. If it works out, it's because the players are so amazing. There's no middle ground where the manager of the team gets credit for a single move he makes. Pretty ridiculous.

I am not a fan of Dusty as a manager. I've been somewhat vocal about it. But I have also given him his due when he's made logical calls. For me it's process over result. You keep putting people in the best situations and good things will happen. If Dusty decides to bat Maldonado lead up and he goes 2-3 with 2 HR and a walk then the result is fantastic, but I'm not giving him any credit. That would be a dumbass move.

I am also for taking every precaution for Yordan. If he's sore or not 100% the I don't push it. Put him on ice until the playoffs if you have to with 1-3 warm up games. I didn't like the decision last night, but I understand it now. But moving Chas to LF is questionable. He's been a proven defensive gem all year. This play last night and his defensive stats back it up. In the end it's not a huge deal since Siri is a solid defender too ( we think).
astros4545
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Ag_07 said:

He pinch hit Diaz for Siri with two outs, so that we could worsen our defense and get Diaz to lead off extra innings at second base

Diaz struck out in three pitches
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Today marks the start of the 35th anniversary of the greatest 3-day stretch in Astros' regular-season history. The events of September 23-25, 1986.

On Monday, September 22, the Astros lost their second straight game in ugly fashion, 9-2 to the Dodgers to fall to 86-64. They were still in first place by 9 games in the West.

That Tuesday's game matched up Astros rookie pitcher Jim Deshaies (9-5) against LA's Dennis Powell. After winning the West in 1985, the Dodgers had sucked terribly, and were 70-81 entering the game. Everyone was so sad.

The game started a little bit like this for LA.

Top First: Steve Sax struck out swinging; Reggie Williams struck out swinging, Enos Cabell struck out swinging.

Top Second: Pedro Guerrero struck out looking, Alex Trevino struck out swinging, Jeff Hamilton struck out swinging.

Top Third: Dave Anderson struck out swinging, Jose Gonzalez struck out swinging.

Eight in a row! A record! At that point, Tommy LaSorda decided to remind everyone why he was the worldest biggest d*bag by pinch hitting for his pitcher with 2 outs in the top of the third of a game they were losing 2-0. The great Larry See popped out to second base to end the inning.

Deshaies went the distance for a 2-hit shutout with 10 strikeouts.

Videos below.

JYDog90
AG
BMX Bandit said:

on Yordan, given his leg history:

better safe than sorry.

He was booking it on that last run scored.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Mathguy64
AG
One of the many reasons I hate Fat Boy Tommy. I was watching that game on HSE and everyone was pissed.
agproducer
AG
Lasorda. I do not like that guy.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
iamtheglove said:

redline248 said:

Mathguy64 said:

When he slid home it looked like he was slightly uncomfortable when he got up, and kind of reached for his knee or leg. Wasn't real obvious but I thought at the time it looked like he was in some mild discomfort.
In Astros medical terms, "mild discomfort" could be anything from soreness to leg amputation.
AggiEE
redline248 said:

I can give Dusty some credit - he walked Ohtani a bunch of times instead of pitch to him in a close game.

edit: I do wonder if AJ would have done it

Yeah I like this approach. I was always critical of the Astros pitching to the 1-2 key players on playoff teams only for them to absolutely kill us (like Rendon or Soto).

I feel like if we had danced around these players and been much more careful (willing to walk them), we would have won it all in 2019

Obviously you can't do that against a team so offensively stacked like the Astros, but most teams are not the Astros
Ag_07
AG
Dusty is not a good manager and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Yeah he's leading a team into the playoffs as one of the favorites to win it all.

But guess what...That's happened plenty of times in his career and he still hasn't won one. There's a reason for that and there's a reason teams have canned him after making the playoffs and having winning records.

His teams win despite him not because of him.

Ok...Rant over
agproducer
AG
If the Astros win the World Series, it will be in spite of Dusty.
redline248
AG
I think a fun thought experiment is to consider what the Tigers would look like with Dusty instead of Hinch.
htxag09
AG
lol; I'd rather not have Dusty, I hope we don't extend him.

But, in general, if you're attributing all negative outcomes to his decisions and all positive outcomes being in spite of his decisions, you're going to be wrong.
redline248
AG
Let's think about the bullpen, for example. Did Dusty start pushing the right buttons or did Click simply upgrade the talent?
AggiEE
redline248 said:

Let's think about the bullpen, for example. Did Dusty start pushing the right buttons or did Click simply upgrade the talent?

Our bullpen was/is ****e and while you can question some of Dusty's moves he unfortunately can't have a Pressly pitch 3-4 innings every single night.

I can't really blame him too much for that. He gave Raley way too much leash earlier in the season but now he's looking pretty solid so maybe that investment paid off and hopefully he continues that success and will be a valuable player in the playoffs.

My main criticism are odd lineups, weird substitutions, etc. but hopefully he understands that In the playoffs we need to go with our best options

In the regular season it makes sense to rest guys and spread around the starts for rookies
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

I'll say both. Maybe Click, but I don't have a major issue with what he's been doing overall. I'm sure we can find examples. Dusty has done okay with pitcher management IMO.
scrimp
AG
I doubt AJ would have walked Otahni. The Astros didn't have an intentional walk at all in the 2019 regular season. Only did so in game 2 of the World Series that year to Soto. Can't imagine he would have done so in a regular season game with nothing on the line...

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07
AG
This team is meshing and peaking at the right time.
Cromagnum
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Well, knocking the dust cover off the ball like that might wear someone out. LOL
Frok
AG
Ag_07 said:

AL West was our slump-buster
tjack16
AG
Hoping we win tonight and can clinch by Saturday!

Would be awesome if the Astros win the division and the Aggies beat Arkansas the same weekend
SW-14
AG
Frok said:

Ag_07 said:

AL West was our slump-buster
At the time it happened I felt like that come from behind came against the D-Backs was huge.
First Page Last Page
Page 1293 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.