Charlie Hough 300 game winner???

1,674 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EastSideAg2002
jeffag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Charlie Hough was one of my favorite Rangers growing up in the late 80s. He finished his career with 216 wins (216 losses as well). Do you think had he not been a reliever for most of his first 10 years with the Dodgers he would have had a decent shot at being a 300 game winner? He also played on some terrible early 80s Rangers teams that didn't help his cause either.
45-70Ag
AG
Not really sure of the answer to your question but i can remember watching him throw that knuckle ball on tv and always wondered how can professional players not hit that.

I thought he was a hundred years old back then.
94chem
Summer of '89, I went to a DH at Arlington Stadium. Nolan Ryan pitched the first game, and came within one out of a shutout. Charlie Hough pitched the second game, also getting a win with 7 scoreless innings. For the record, Ryan, 42 the time, is one year older than Hough. In addition to this being one incredible baseball memory/occurrence, there was some banter before the game about Ryan going first, since teams would usually pitch the younger pitcher first in a double header so he wouldn't have to sit there for 4 hours with nerves building up. I guess they figured they could chance it with 41 year old chain smoking Charlie Hough. On top of this, just consider how the visiting Angels must have felt facing Ryan's 95+ MPH at twilight, followed by Hough's butterflies in the nightcap. That lineup, already struggling, might have needed therapy after that. Here's the LA Times write-up:

Ryan, Hough double-dip Angels
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Trucker 96
More Charlie Hough trivia - he started the first regular season game the Marlins ever played and got the W over the Dodgers
jeffag02
Charlie Hough also was one of the pitchers that gave up a home run to Reggie Jackson in his 3 HR performance in game 6 of the 77 World Series.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Maybe, or maybe the extra wear and tear on his arm early on means he gets fewer wins at the end and it is a wash? Good question though.

Seven Costanza
AG
45-70Ag said:

I thought he was a hundred years old back then.
Same here. As a kid, he really seemed like he was 75 to me. Otis Nixon also seemed really old, even when he was like 28.
redline248
AG
Quote:

So, what's 83 years old and sweeps the Angels?
94chem
redline248 said:

Quote:

So, what's 83 years old and sweeps the Angels?

Jamie Moyer and a Roomba?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
EastSideAg2002
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.