*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

408,673 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No effect on the asking price or length of contract?

More importantly, any effect on how likely the Astros are to sign him?
Deluxe
AG
Deluxe said:

One of my favorite Luis Garcia memories so far was his performance on Sept 4, 2020 against the Angels.

LMJ faced five batters and didn't record an out. Dusty was forced to hand the ball to Garcia, who was making his big league debut. He proceeded to hold Angels to 1 hit and 1 run over 4.1 innings, a huge boost to our tired/depleted bullpen. First of many great things to come for this guy.

Some great highlights from Luis Garcia's Astros debut. A lot to look forward to with this guy. Really like how he attacked Trout. You can tell Trout was like "wow, this guy is on my level" with some of his respectful takes. Then Garcia would induce weak contact from Rendon like it's easy.

Also, some nice web gems from Correa in that highlight package. We should just go ahead and pay the guy.
Deluxe
AG
Marvin said:

Quote:

Garcia was one of many rookies to break onto the big league roster in 2020, and has a solid average repertoire who could either play as a No. 4 starter or setup man.

Gonna be funny to look back on that asinine ESPN take when he's starting game 1 of the ALCS
agproducer
AG
The A's got Rosenthal.

Farmer1906
AG
Here are the largest MLB contract for position players along with the new crop of shortstops hitting the FA market this offseason.

The best comps look to be Rendon, Arenado, Machado, & Harper. It's going to have to be a mega deal to keep him, but we have the money. We have 100 M coming off the payroll next year. I just wonder the effect the other good SS hitting the market will be. If Crane greens lights 210 M for 7 years and Carlos says no. Would you give that deal to the next 3 guys? Would any say yes?

While looking at this data, how absolutely terrible were the Puljos, Cabrera, 2nd ARod, & Fielder signings? Yikes! Never pay anyone in their 30s unless it's a short-term deal. Cano's roids helped his deal not look so bad, but he also got popped and missed so much time it still hurts. (but they don't pay it all, right?) Springer's doesn't quite fit into the terrible range, but no way he comes close to his first 7 years (131 OPS+, 27.5 WAR) with his next 6.

Farmer1906
AG
agproducer said:

The A's got Rosenthal.

Also Moreland.

They replenished their BP, upgraded at DH, & found a replacement INF for Semien for around 7 M (they saved money in the trade). That's really ****ing impressive. I hate those guys.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

agproducer said:

The A's got Rosenthal.

Also Moreland.

For that price we could've gotten them just to keep them out of Oakland. especially Mitch
Deluxe
AG
Great post.

I almost don't even consider Lindor a free agent after 2021. The Mets will almost certainly pony up to re-sign him to justify the trade. Should a team somehow outbid the Mets, it certainly won't be the Astros.

I would not give Story 7/$210. Will let someone else take on the Rockies risk. OPS 1.067 at home in 2019 and .767 on the road.

Comes down to Seager or Correa with me. Not sure the Dodgers' intention of keeping Seager. Seems like they've spent ALOT of money recently.

What I'm hoping with Correa is bid 7/$210 vs ask of 10/$300 and we settle at ~9/~$250.
Farmer1906
AG
The Mets worry me. They may go nuts, pay Lindor, and **** up the market for us. Correa wants to match it and we're not willing to do it.
Deluxe
AG
Good point. Perhaps that's incentive for us to try and lock Correa up before the season starts and he finds out what Lindor gets.

I remember we announced Altuve, Bregman and JV extensions at the end of spring training. Would be nice to see the same w Carlos.
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

Here are the largest MLB contract for position players along with the new crop of shortstops hitting the FA market this offseason.

The best comps look to be Rendon, Arenado, Machado, & Harper. It's going to have to be a mega deal to keep him, but we have the money. We have 100 M coming off the payroll next year. I just wonder the effect the other good SS hitting the market will be. If Crane greens lights 210 M for 7 years and Carlos says no. Would you give that deal to the next 3 guys? Would any say yes?

While looking at this data, how absolutely terrible were the Puljos, Cabrera, 2nd ARod, & Fielder signings? Yikes! Never pay anyone in their 30s unless it's a short-term deal. Cano's roids helped his deal not look so bad, but he also got popped and missed so much time it still hurts. (but they don't pay it all, right?) Springer's doesn't quite fit into the terrible range, but no way he comes close to his first 7 years (131 OPS+, 27.5 WAR) with his next 6.

The hardball approach is to throw out a number you think is reasonable (7-8 years, $200-220M) and if he says no you wait it out. There's competition next year and, candidly, there's reasonable arguments Lindor and Seagar are better. Story and Baez are below Correa IMO but if they are $50m less then you have to consider those options.
MaxPower
I think Crane is concerned about staying below the luxury tax as a repeat offender, which could affect the extension. It seems silly to stay below the luxury tax for tax savings purposes because with a new CBA the rules are complete unknown for 2022.
Farmer1906
AG
I forgot about Baez. He's a rung below the top guys outside of that 1 great year.
Deluxe
AG
Definitely see your point but I'd much rather pony up an extra $50mm over ~9 years for Correa than roll the dice on Story or Baez. Obviously there's risks with Correa too. I just don't think anyone who give Story/Baez a nine figure+ deal is going to be very happy with their investment.
MaxPower
Story is difficult to project. He's very good defensively and can steal bags. It might seem appropriate to look at splits but there have been plenty of Rockies hitters who found success after leaving coors and their splits normalize. I do agree it's a risk and why he gets less but it's a bit overblown.
tjack16
AG

I'm okay with this if it happens

Throw Yordan, Tucker and Brantley in that race as well
Farmer1906
AG
Let the ST stories begin.

Ag_07
AG
Just hear to say I love me some Machete!
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Just hear to say I love me some Machete!

Makes me respect Click more. As long as he doesn't get bowled over, that's a ton to respect shown to both Machete and Castro.
Farmer1906
AG
I wouldn't call Castro the backup catcher. I would call him the co starter or platoon mate. Both make 3.5 M a year.
Farmer1906
AG
WTF?

https://www.foco.com/products/joe-kelly-los-angeles-dodgers-2020-world-series-champions-pouty-face-bobblehead?utm_source=Impact&utm_medium=1412332&utm_campaign=Online%20Tracking%20Link&irclickid=1i8X8EyUAxyLWZs0TbWK8Xs3UkETjyRFr3iWXg0&irgwc=1

redline248
AG
power to anyone that makes money selling that to dipsh-t dodger fan. What a way to be memorialized
Farmer1906
Farmer1906
AG
More cringe on that site.

Beat40
Edit for I thought Farmers post was an official Dodger promotion.
Farmer1906
AG
Does anyone need a Bregman jersey? On sale for $46 with 2019 WS patch.

https://www.mlbshop.com/houston-astros/mens-houston-astros-alex-bregman-majestic-white-2019-world-series-bound-official-cool-base-player-jersey/t-69118629+p-039564064612+z-8-3261073718?_ref=p-OSLP:m-GRID:i-r0c2:po-2
Mr.Bond
AG

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MaxPower

Carlos knows he about to get paid.
tjack16
AG
https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/best-mlb-draft-picks-in-astros-history?t=astros-history-trivia

1. Biggio
2. Berkman
3. Springer
4. Oswalt
5. Correa

I guess this list is exclusively drafted guys because Altuve would have to be there. I'd imagine Bregman will push this list soon as well
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

I guess this list is exclusively drafted guys because Altuve would have to be there. I'd imagine Bregman will push this list soon as well

Did the title of the article clue you in on that guess?

Top 5 Draft picks in Astros history
MaxPower
tjack16 said:

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/best-mlb-draft-picks-in-astros-history?t=astros-history-trivia

1. Biggio
2. Berkman
3. Springer
4. Oswalt
5. Correa

4 were first rounders and I fully expect it will be all 5 before too long as Bregman surpasses Oswalt.
tjack16
AG
Panama Red said:

Quote:

Did the title of the article clue you in on that guess?

Top 5 Draft picks in Astros history

Sometime big word hard understand.
Harry Dunne
Ceasars Season W over/under

https://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/30924404/los-angeles-dodgers-open-highest-season-wins-betting-total-1999-new-york-yankees

OAK 88.5
HOU 88
LAA 83
SEA 71
TEX 69.5
tjack16
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Ceasars Season W over/under

https://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/30924404/los-angeles-dodgers-open-highest-season-wins-betting-total-1999-new-york-yankees

OAK 88.5
HOU 88
LAA 83
SEA 71
TEX 69.5

Over
Over
under (might be a push)
Over
under
Farmer1906
AG
Is it gay that I watched this more than once?

First Page Last Page
Page 84 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.