*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

409,011 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JJxvi
AG
It needs DH to be of more use for American League clubs.

Also, it'd be cool to see this exclusively for defense.
redline248
AG
This graph would imply Bregman is a better player than Correa?
Buck Compton
AG
redline248 said:

More separation from other 3Bs that Correa has from other SS
Farmer1906
AG

I put zero stock in this prediction article, but here ya go.

Quote:

What they could do: Figure out a way to go for it, without Justin Verlander, George Springer and Michael Brantley.

What we think they will do: Sign Marcell Ozuna and Kirby Yates.

The Astros came within one game of reaching the World Series, after scuffling through a 29-31 regular season, primarily because the offense collapsed -- and now they will likely lose Springer and Brantley, their two best hitters in 2020. They could look to trade Carlos Correa, a free agent after 2021, but in a weak division they should be going for it. So how about Ozuna to help replace Springer/Brantley (and don't forget they'll get Yordan Alvarez back). Yates is coming off an injury, but was arguably the best closer in the majors in 2018-19.
Why on earth would we spend to get Ozuna, but not Springer? Ozuna is flat our garbage defensively.

Yates would be interesting. He was flat out bad last year. Maybe we could fix him? He'd have to be stupid chep.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Yes, they're projecting him to be better because... he is.
JJxvi
AG
The answer is flat out yes, regardless of position.

With a similar expected plate appearances they have Correa projected to .263/.344/.470 and Bregman projected to .278/.393/.525
JJxvi
AG
I see that fangraphs does have DH listed. The Astros 4.4 is tops in the league (Indians second at 3.1)
Farmer1906
AG
We #1 at DH, #2 at 3B, #3 at 2B, #4 at SS, & #8 at RF. We're loaded. We have room to improve at C, 1B, LF, & CF. I think we're pretty much locked in at 1B with Yuli and mostly locked in at C with Machete. Keep in mind this takes into account your backups as well so we can definitely improve C by having a better part-time catcher than Stubbs (projected 28% of the ABs at C). This isn't breaking any news, but the obvious spots to fix via FA is OF. We find avg or slightly above avg guys there and we'll move from 7th in batting to top 3-4ish.
Ag_07
AG
Room to improve at 1B?

How many 1B are better than Yuli?

And yes I know he sucked something fierce in the playoffs.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Room to improve at 1B?

Freeman
Rizzo
Goldschmidt
Vlad Jr
Olsun
Muncy
Sano
Alonso
Abreu
Bell
Votto
Haskins
Voit

They're also projecting the following to be better, but I am not sure I agree.
Bauers
Belt
Candelario
Vogelbach
Choi/Diaz

He's gunna be 37 next year. He wasn't good last year. They're projecting him to .273/.320/.460. Which is plenty good for what we need as our 6/7th best hitter.
Harry Dunne
Marvin said:

Thanks, Crane.

But honestly, I'd much rather have Luhnow back than Hinch.
Most definitely. He handled the scandal pretty weakly IMO, but I do think he's more valuable, especially with a team like this that has so much veteran leadership and doesn't need a baseball mastermind in the dugout...Obviously, as evidenced by this postseason.

What we need is for someone to ID some diamond in the rough pitchers like JL always did.
Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

Room to improve at 1B?

Also the amount that your defense makes a difference at 1b is less than most other positions and so many guys @ first can mash.

It's hard to second-guess the move based on the great results we've had as a team, but I always thought it was a curious decision to invest that much money in Yuli (first contract) and make him an above average-hitting 1b.
Farmer1906
AG
He was a bit of an unknown coming from Cuba. We also didn't know how things would play out between Correa & Bregman on the left side of the IF. Overall, he got ~40 M over 3.25 years and has been 113 wRC+ player. I would say we got our money's worth.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Ag_07 said:

Room to improve at 1B?

Also the amount that your defense makes a difference at 1b is less than most other positions and so many guys @ first can mash.

It's hard to second-guess the move based on the great results we've had as a team, but I always thought it was a curious decision to invest that much money in Yuli (first contract) and make him an above average-hitting 1b.
I take your statement and give you the fantastic plays that Choi made at first base and basically won the series for them vs. the bonehead error where despite a horrible throw, Yuli should have fielded and made the out at first....tell me again how defense isn't important at 1B

(I am not saying yuli is bad at defense at first but more just referencing that their glove is potentially the most important in the field..it does touch nearly every out)
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Ag_07 said:

Room to improve at 1B?

I take your statement and give you the fantastic plays that Choi made at first base and basically won the series for them vs. the bonehead error where despite a horrible throw, Yuli should have fielded and made the out at first....tell me again how defense isn't important at 1B

(I am not saying yuli is bad at defense at first but more just referencing that their glove is potentially the most important in the field..it does touch nearly every out)
He said less, not isn't.
Harry Dunne
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Ag_07 said:

Room to improve at 1B?

NM.

See post above and learn to read.
Ag_07
AG
Ah ok...I was thinking AL only.

For some reason with things like that my mind automatically thinks AL only.

That makes sense.
Oyster DuPree
AG
I assume you are referring to the structural integrity of the first baseman's glove being very important?
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Marvin said:

Thanks, Crane.

Most definitely. He handled the scandal pretty weakly IMO, but I do think he's more valuable, especially with a team like this that has so much veteran leadership and doesn't need a baseball mastermind in the dugout...Obviously, as evidenced by this postseason.

What we need is for someone to ID some diamond in the rough pitchers like JL always did.

I definitely agree that lunhow was very good at finding pitchers. But click isn't some slouch. The rays had an incredible bullpen
07ag
AG
do we have any trade pieces left? wonder if we could trade for a young outfielder with a few years of team control left like adalberto mondesi,, royals aren't going to playoffs anytime soon
https://ts.la/eric59704
Harry Dunne
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Marvin said:

Thanks, Crane.

I definitely agree that lunhow was very good at finding pitchers. But click isn't some slouch. The rays had an incredible bullpen
They did, and I hope he was the guy responsible for it and I hope he can do the same here...but I'd still rather have Luhnow back than Hinch.
Post removed:
by user
W
AG
November 11th is the deadline for players to accept or reject their qualifying offer.

4 days away
Farmer1906
AG
spadilly
S
Bring on the depositions!

Jeff Luhnow sues Astros, claiming to have been scapegoated

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Jeff-Luhnow-sues-Houston-Astros-fired-cheating-15711818.php

Quote:

In an interview on Ben Reiter's podcast "The Edge", Luhnow said Crane fired him with cause, which cost the former general manager more than $20 million in guaranteed money. The lawsuit makes similar claims, saying he was fired "in order to save more than $22 million in guaranteed salary."

Luhnow's lawsuit claims baseball's investigation "enabled the team to keep its World Series championship, went to great lengths to publicly exonerate Crane, and scapegoated Luhnow for sign-stealing scandal that he had no knowledge of and played no part in."
mazag08
AG
I wouldn't be pissed if it came out that Crane and Manfred made a deal. Then a bunch of leaks about ALL the teams who have been caught cheating.
AggiEE
Sounds like a weak lawsuit

Hope he loses, really can't stand Lunhow and how he's acted after this whole ordeal. Hinch took it with class
redline248
AG
Is that supposed to say "with cause" or "without cause?"
BMX Bandit
Guess we know how Luhnow's job search is going
Mathguy64
AG
I love the smell of burning bridges in the morning.
MaxPower
mazag08 said:

I wouldn't be pissed if it came out that Crane and Manfred made a deal. Then a bunch of leaks about ALL the teams who have been caught cheating.
Unfortunately I don't see a light shining on a league wide issue from this. All that's going to happen is the Astros and Manfred look like bigger idiots, which does nothing positive for an Astros fan.
Ag_07
AG
How in the hell does the President of Baseball Operations think there was no cause for his firing?

Again regardless or his involvement it was his direct reports on his watch.

And yeah...I pretty certain now that he won't be GMing in MLB again.
W
AG
with that much money remaining on his contract...don't organizations usually reach a settlement of some kind?

not just cut it cold turkey $0 pay due
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
W said:

with that much money remaining on his contract...don't organizations usually reach a settlement of some kind?

not just cut it cold turkey $0 pay due
That would be if they want to just fire you. If theyre firing you for something they would deem to nullify your contract "fire with cause" then you get nothing
First Page Last Page
Page 27 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.