****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,632,334 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
old ag 2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I prefer to have a lefty in the 2 hole as moving the runner to 3rd after a leadoff double is much easier. Pulling a groundball or flyball does the job for a lefty.

I actually would go

Springer
Brantley
Tucker
Bregman
Yuli
Correa
Altuve
Maldy
Reddick/Diaz
Marvin
AG
Radio brought up ZG's numbers after 80 pitches. It was a cliff dive.

Dusty made the right call.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
astros4545
AG
Also

Greinke was very lucky to that point based on the hard contact Mn had gotten

He didn't need to see lineup a 3rd time, as already stated
BMX Bandit
I don't know if "either get Reddick out of the line up, or put him in the 2 hole" is the best line of thinking.
Deluxe
AG
Since we're having fun with lineups this morning, I'd go:

1. Springer CF
2. Brantley LF
3. Bregman 3B
4. Yuli 1B
5. Tucker RF
6. Correa SS
7. Altuve 2B
8. Diaz DH
9. Maldy C
BayAg_14
CFTXAG10
AG
LFG Urquidy!

Ag_07
AG
Urquidy goes 7 strong today
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

Those pesky facts.

Right on cue
I mean, what do you want? The stats bear out they're essentially the same player in the 2-hole. Altuve at least has a track record of being an extremely effective hitter.

In my opinion, if you're taking Altuve out of the 2-hole, you're moving the entire 3-6/7 of line-up up a spot and sticking him after that. There is no other guy on our roster, outside of the starting line-up, that would be an effective 2-hole hitter.

If it's between Altuve or anyone else from the bench in the 2-hole, I trust Altuve the most. He at least walked twice yesterday while Reddick struck out twice.

My thoughts are this: either move him out of the 2-hole and shuffle the lineup up, or he stays there.
Beat40
Deluxe said:

Since we're having fun with lineups this morning, I'd go:

1. Springer CF
2. Brantley LF
3. Bregman 3B
4. Yuli 1B
5. Tucker RF
6. Correa SS
7. Altuve 2B
8. Diaz DH
9. Maldy C
The other option you do have is to put Correa in the 2-hole and tell him to hunt fastball. Or you put Bregman in the 2-hole.

I like Brantley in the 3 spot as our most consistent hitter too much to move him.
3B Paul 97
AG
Remember when everyone wanted Springer out of the lead off spot in the playoffs?
Harry Dunne
People wanted him out of the lineup!

What about Tucker? If I was running the show he would have been traded for a bag of baseballs.

I think you've got to let the guys that have had success keep taking their shots. Heart of a champion and all that.
YNWA_AG
AG
Dusty said same lineup today
Ag_07
AG
My point was it seems like the 8 spot behind Tucker, Yuli, and Correa comes up more often with runners on and maybe it's not a bad idea to put someone there besides Reddick. Maybe move him somewhere where he can be hidden more and can get some fastballs and can be picked up if he doesn't come through.

My bad for not running to fangraphs and not doing my research to bring pesky facts to the discussion. I was just shootin the shlt until game time.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

My point was it seems like the 8 spot behind Tucker, Yuli, and Correa comes up more often with runners on and maybe it's not a bad idea to put someone there besides Reddick. Maybe move him somewhere where he can be hidden more and can get some fastballs and can be picked up if he doesn't come through.

My bad for not running to fangraphs and not doing my research to bring pesky facts to the discussion. I was just shootin the shlt until game time.
Hey - I think we're all a little on postseason edge here, so my bad for coming across forcefully.

I don't disagree that the bottom part of the order is coming up with more guys on base. I understand you're reasoning now.

I mean, I don't know. It's such a tough position because we've been so accustomed to getting pretty decent production out of the 8/9 spot in the order over the years and outside of Maldy, it really isn't there. It's the Yordan effect to me.

I'm for giving Diaz a shot today, but I understand your reasoning. My apologies for coming across harsher than I'd have liked.

Let's enjoy another day of postseason baseball and fine weather in Houston!
Harry Dunne
I feel like AJ would have sat Reddick this year just like he sat Beltran in 2017. In the postseason it became less about traditional roles and veteran respect more about the hot hand and just getting it done.
Beat40
So, my hope for the first inning, I'm really hoping this team can be patient with Barrios. The dude has a really high WHIP. If we can be patient and work a walk and a couple of hits, I think we can score in the first.

Yesterday the hitters were patient for the most part and it's as beautiful. Would like to see more of the same today and a 3-run 1st inning.

If we can get 2-3 runs in the 1st, I'm hoping that 17 straight postseason losses really starts to play in the Twins' heads.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
BCSGrubber
AG

Based on the stats I am surprised Diaz isn't in the lineup
Farmer1906
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

Remember when everyone wanted Springer out of the lead off spot in the playoffs?

It's worked out because the back end of the line up got on base. I'm general, i still want him down a spot or two to try and get him more ABs with runners on.
Beat40
BCSGrubber said:

Based on the stats I am surprised Diaz isn't in the lineup
I think we have a chance to jump on Berrios early if we're patient. We were patient yesterday, but didn't hit the mistakes. Keep being patient and unload on the mistakes.

Get to him early before they can go to the pen.
astros4545
AG

Farmer1906
AG
One of our lefties is taking Berrios out today. I'm hoping Reddick can redeem himself.
Farmer1906
AG
He didn't exactly tear up AA last year. Seems like a really odd move.
Deluxe
AG
Beat40 said:

So, my hope for the first inning, I'm really hoping this team can be patient with Barrios. The dude has a really high WHIP. If we can be patient and work a walk and a couple of hits, I think we can score in the first.

Yesterday the hitters were patient for the most part and it's as beautiful. Would like to see more of the same today and a 3-run 1st inning.

If we can get 2-3 runs in the 1st, I'm hoping that 17 straight postseason losses really starts to play in the Twins' heads.
Yep. Patience. Work counts. Draw walks. Get some traffic on the base paths. Keep pressure on them.
Farmer1906
AG
Urquidy doesn't have a ton of innings in the bigs yet, but he has a really interesting stat. His worst time thru the line up is the 2nd time. I wonder what he does the third time thru that make him more effective. He's lights out the first time thru.
Farmer1906
AG
*eye roll*

Joe Mauer, huh?
Buck Compton
AG
It's 3 ABs...
Mathguy64
AG
Putting a guy in a game with no ML ABs in a game where you win or go home is either very gutsy or very stupid.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Putting a guy in a game with no ML ABs in a game where you win or go home is either very gutsy or very stupid.

Hell I think it's dumb that we have a guy on our postseason roster who hasn't played in the show before, and he's just here to pinch run. Starting a guy in his first ever MLB game in an elimination playoff game is next level stupid.

So, I'm sure now he will go 3-4 with 2 bombs.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Urquidy doesn't have a ton of innings in the bigs yet, but he has a really interesting stat. His worst time thru the line up is the 2nd time. I wonder what he does the third time thru that make him more effective. He's lights out the first time thru.

In his last start, Blummer mentioned he doesn't change up his pitches fast enough. He was starting to get hit pretty good the second time through the lineup against the rangers, then Astros went out there and reminded him to go to his other stuff. His next pitch was off speed and then he starting cruising again it seemed.

Think it's just a young pitcher not realizing he's got to switch things up earlier.
Mathguy64
AG
That's on the catcher and manager to call the game correctly. He's not Greinke out there yelling out to Machete what's about to come.
Deluxe
AG
Put some pressure on them early
jetch17
AG
Gametime

tjack16
AG
Altuve looked like he thought it was going to be an easy play. Didn't seem like he wanted to beat that out
First Page Last Page
Page 567 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.