****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,631,341 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Crane needs to offer George $______ for ______ years to get him to even consider staying in Houston. What's your guess?
redline248
AG
4 years, 105, decreasing each year. Don't know if this would do it, but something like this.

W
AG
6 years for $180 MM to make up for the franchise's delaying his call up.

however I don't think he'll expect other teams to do that.

----

I see his floor contract on the market as 4 years $100 MM. And maybe a team would be willing to go 5 years $125 MM. Too bad he didn't reach free agency at 28 or 29 years old.

and of course it's hard to say what the depressed COVID market is going to do to FA offers
tjack16
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Crane needs to offer George $______ for ______ years to get him to even consider staying in Houston. What's your guess?

5 years 125-130 is what I'm guessing the going rate will be.

A smart thing for George might be to take a 1 year deal and test the market post 2021 after teams get some ticket revenue back. Don't think he wants to risk it though
Marvin
AG
George is worth a strong 4-year offer. I hope the Astros give it to him.
W
AG
George will be in an Astros uniform next year if he's willing to take a 4-year contract
Farmer1906
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

We had a nice little discussion about it a few weeks back.

https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/3126243/431#discussion

I think he's going to want 5-6 years at 130-160 and he's not going to get it (my guess).

I think the numbers being thrown around at about right. My guess would be 4-5 years at 96-120 M.
Mr.Bond
AG
W said:

6 years for $180 MM to make up for the franchise's delaying his call up.

however I don't think he'll expect other teams to do that.

----

I see his floor contract on the market as 4 years $100 MM. And maybe a team would be willing to go 5 years $125 MM. Too bad he didn't reach free agency at 28 or 29 years old.

and of course it's hard to say what the depressed COVID market is going to do to FA offers

6 years for an OF over 30 who plays reckless?? Lol......
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

tjack16
AG
A more interesting question would be what team he goes to if we don't resign him. Everybody says Boston since he's from there .. but I wouldnt be shocked if a team like the White Sox makes a huge run at him
bluefire579
AG
With Boston being in rebuilding mode, I don't see them going after a big time free agent
tjack16
AG
bluefire579 said:

With Boston being in rebuilding mode, I don't see them going after a big time free agent

It's still crazy to me how bad they are. They still have most of the 2018 offensive core. Plus Verdugo. They might be decent next year. They either finish last or win the whole thing
tjack16
AG
Scoreboard watch -

Padres up 3-1 on the mariners in the 8th
Rangers up on Angels 7-2 late
Harry Dunne
Big Al 1992 said:

$180M for 7 yrs

W
AG
his agent is going to ask for 6 years, but probably have to settle for 4 or 5.

but all it takes is one infatuated general manager
Ag_07
AG
I could see the Braves or maybe the Cardinals going after George. White Sox makes sense as well.

Honestly I don't think there are really that many teams in the market for an expensive OFer.
cc10106
Astros lowballed George during arbitration by 3.5 mill less than what was agreed to. I would be shocked if they re-signed him, but that seems to be the consensus anyway.
agproducer
AG
I'd love for George to be an Astros lifer, but I'm guessing he's gone. I see the team making a competitive offer. I don't see a Carlos Beltran FA situation. It's going to come down to years, not cash.

He's going to want 6-7 years, and someone may give it to him. I don't see the Astros offering more than 4, and they should not offer him more than that.
Farmer1906
AG
Something to consider with all of these
mega deals and extensions is guys are getting it for in their late 20s. Teams are willing to tack on a few years when they get all or most of their prime. 31 year old CF/RF don't get better. Whoever signs George can expect to get 1-2 years near what he has been. After that they're likely going to get an above avg guy, but not an All Star and not someone who can still play center. Will anyone give George 25ish a year for 4 years of likely diminished play?
mwm
San Diego just beat Seattle. They scored 7 runs on 6 hits. Why can't we have nice things?
Mathguy64
AG
I wonder what would have happened to George and a contract last Feb before spring training if Lunhow had still been here and Reid Ryan was still in the front office.
redline248
AG
Anyone know George's top sprint speed on that inside the parker?
wildmen09
AG
Surely COVID has an effect on FAs this offseason, right?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Is it time to hire Luhnow back and fire sale the roster so we can win again in 2027?
Farmer1906
AG
Do you remember what rebuilding was like? He'll to the no.

Have you seen our roster? It ain't too shabby.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I do and it was worth every loss for this run, but losing George, JV, Brantley, McCullers and Correa this year and Grienke next year is going to be difficult to overcome.

If Altuve can return to some form, Bregman stays Bregman, Alvarez and Tucker perform then we have to find some arms!
Ag_07
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

I do and it was worth every loss for this run, but losing George, JV, Brantley, McCullers and Correa this year and Grienke next year is going to be difficult to overcome.

If Altuve can return to some form, Bregman stays Bregman, Alvarez and Tucker perform then we have to find some arms!

They're still under contract until 2022
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
You are correct, I was thinking that's a bigger loss than I remember. Hopefully we make a run this year, anything can happen in the playoffs. I'd love to sign George but if we don't, when do we rebuild and if not what is the scenario where we don't have to rebuild?

So much hinges on Alvarez staying healthy and Tucker being the player some think he can be.
Ag_07
AG
I think the plan is keep things rotating talent and avoid the complete tear down rebuild approach.

Lock up the core players worth keeping (Altuve, Bregman, Correa), let older expensive players walk (George), keep adding young talent that's cheap (Tucker, Alvarez), and fill in with high reward FA vet signings (Brantley, Yuli).

Like I've said before this year has given me hope on the pitching front as I think we have a good young core that between them can be a solid rotation. We'll need a vet top end pitcher after ZG departs, but it's looks a lot better than I expected. I think the big ghurdle will be the young cheap talent position players. Who is the next wave behind Tucker and Alvarez? Taylor Jones and a couple of the international players we plan to sign?
tjack16
AG
If Alvarez comes back healthy next year .... big IF. Then our window stays open

Like an above poster said. Bregman is MVP caliber and locked up through 2024, sign Correa, Altuve hopefully is back to form next year and then you have Tucker. That's a solid core 4-5 players to build around if Alvarez is healthy. Hopefully we some young OF like Pedro Leon and Taylor Jones improves at 1B

You also have Valdez, Urquidy, Javier and Bielak beyond 2021 as a young core rotation.

We might not be the 3 straight 100 win team like we just were ... but we should make the postseason each year until 2025 IMO
agproducer
AG
If we don't resign George or Brantley, we will need a mid priced FA OF to use as a stop gap for next year and likely 2022. Do we really believe Straw can take over one of the OF spots? I think he can defensively, but he's been awful at the plate.

So, potential FA: Marcella Ozuna, **** Hernandez and Joc Pederson. Cespedes would also be available, but he's 35 and often injured.

I'm not sure what options the Astros will have.
Mathguy64
AG
Straw cannot be the option to replace George. He just can't. You would be giving up 40 HR a year, 80 plus RBI and I'm guessing 200 points of OPS. You cannot take that kind of production hit at CF. And to top it off he doesn't play CF that well. I know he made that diving catch in LCF but generally he gets bad jumps and has no arm at all. Replacing George with Straw full time would be a disaster.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I will be pleasantly surprised if we can keep Correa out of Pinstripes or Blue.

I think this team has the experience to win in the playoffs this year, Bregs, Correa and Springer could throw the offense on their backs and then if Altuve can find his swing.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Please no Joc! I will have to walk back so many mean spirited Astro glasses comments
tjack16
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

I think this team has the experience to win in the playoffs this year, Bregs, Correa and Springer could throw the offense on their backs and then if Altuve can find his swing.
I'm predicting us to win the first playoff series. I just have a good feeling about it. That's my hope is that we don't go out round 1.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

If Alvarez comes back healthy next year .... big IF. Then our window stays open

Like an above poster said. Bregman is MVP caliber and locked up through 2024, sign Correa, Altuve hopefully is back to form next year and then you have Tucker. That's a solid core 4-5 players to build around if Alvarez is healthy. Hopefully we some young OF like Pedro Leon and Taylor Jones improves at 1B

You also have Valdez, Urquidy, Javier and Bielak beyond 2021 as a young core rotation.

We might not be the 3 straight 100 win team like we just were ... but we should make the postseason each year until 2025 IMO
But that shouldn't be the bar. It has only happened a few times in the history of baseball.

The Cardinal model is what we were expecting. Between 2000 and 2015 they won the division 10x. In the 6 years they did not, they were the wild card team 2x. They won 100 games or more just 3x during that 16-year stretch. They won 2 WS and made 2 others.

First Page Last Page
Page 514 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.