****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,626,471 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So he's out next season too?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
WHELP
Mr.Bond
AG
bearkatag15 said:

So he's out next season too?

Yup
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Ahhhhh rebuild years.

Can't wait.
MaxPower
Curious if we have an insurance policy on him. Would be nice to have some money to sign some help. Of course I think his full contract still counts towards the luxury tax so that's a problem.
EagleAg19
What a kick to the nuts
wangus12
AG
And the window officially closes
BMX Bandit
MaxPower said:

Curious if we have an insurance policy on him. Would be nice to have some money to sign some help. Of course I think his full contract still counts towards the luxury tax so that's a problem.

There's always insurance
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Gap
AG
So we will get 1 game out of Verlander during his 2 year, $66,000,000 contract?

That is really a franchise destroyer.
agproducer
AG
Time for the young guys to step up.

Luhnow built this club to be like the Cardinals. Unfortunately, we traded a ton of pieces, but we do have an influx of young pitching talent. We have Urquidy, Framber and hopefully Whitley to step up.

Click has his work cut out for him, but the offensive core is intact for a bit longer.
aggielax48
AG
On the bright side, it's really only $45.2 million because of 60 game pro-rata.
6-4-3
AG
This is another reason why we needed to get that second WS ring last season.
Farmer1906
AG
1. This ****ing sucks. Sucks we lost JV for this year and next. Sucks this is pretty much the end of a HOF career. I assume he'll come back (to baseball, probably not us) and not be nearly as effective as he was with us.

2. I know we argue we should be doing better (most of us), but how many teams could afford to lose their ace, closer, and best hitter and not miss a beat.

3. The window is not closed. We're just not going to be the dominant team or favorite to win it all. We may not win the division yearly. We may even miss the postseason some years. The core is still good. Click just needs to build effector around it.

4. This doesn't change where we are at this year. We've been without JV. Once you make the dance anything can happen. We're not immune to getting hot.
agproducer
AG
Also, with the TJ, there is no will he or won't he pitch next season. This will give Click the opportunity to find additional help, knowing he can't count on JV in 2021.
Harry Dunne
Would have been nice to have known this before the trade deadline so we could have unloaded some expiring contracts. We obviously aren't going to win the World Series with this roster & without JV.

As far as long-term, at least we know what the deal is now. We still have a good core and some promising young players and a lot of money coming off the books in time to make another run with the guys that are locked up mid to long-term. .
BMX Bandit
Harry Dunne
I agree with all of that except for #4..

Everyone can get as hot as they want, but with this bullpen and without JV there's no way we are going to win three best-of-7 series.

I'll still be watching and hoping for a miracle and enjoying postseason baseball, which is something we have had in only a very small percentage of the clubs history.
MaxPower
Harry Dunne said:

Would have been nice to have known this before the trade deadline so we could have unloaded some expiring contracts. We obviously aren't going to win the World Series with this roster & without JV.

As far as long-term, at least we know what the deal is now. We still have a good core and some promising young players and a lot of money coming off the books in time to make another run with the guys that are locked up mid to long-term. .
I'm fairly certain they were aware of the damage and unlikelihood of his return. We just don't have the trade bullets or financial flexibility to do much.
Farmer1906
AG
I'm not saying it likey but any team in baseball could win in the postseason when it's so few games. Our roster is better than most. Look at the 06 Cards. They were easily better in 04 and 05. They only won 82(?) games that year. Yet they went in an upset everyone in front of them.
Harry Dunne
Yeah I wouldn't have expected us to trade to try to compete - the opposite - I would have hoped we would trade away players like Reddick that might help replenish the farm system.

And before you say Reddick doesn't have any trade value, we got Scrubb for Tyler white.
W
AG
Gap said:

yep, this is the downside to having $30 MM players. When they get hurt...it really hurts.

I'd say this definitely increases the chances of all 4 free agents walking after the season.

Click has to find starting pitching in the next 2 offseasons
W
AG
and JV has probably pitched his last game as an Astro...unless he is willing to take a 1-year deal for the 2022 season in the $15-20 MM range
Ag_07
AG
I'm not worried about starting pitching. Our system depth in starters is pretty good with Urquidy, Framber, Javier, Garcia.

This lineup with departures of the FAs is what I'm worried about. He's gonna need position players and a BP worth a fck.
Mr.Bond
AG
BMX Bandit said:

The dewsh can still EAD
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

AggieLit
W said:

Gap said:

yep, this is the downside to having $30 MM players. When they get hurt...it really hurts.

I'd say this definitely increases the chances of all 4 free agents walking after the season.

Click has to find starting pitching in the next 2 offseasons

When things don't go your way, they really don't go your way. And they haven't gone our way since the first out of the 7th inning of Game 7 last year.
Ag_07
AG
They haven't gone out way since Taubman acted like a major doooch and put that whole mess onto the organization.
AggieLit
Ag_07 said:

They haven't gone out way since Taubman acted like a major doooch and put that whole mess onto the organization.

In the eyes of the media, signing Osuna was as bad if not worse than the Taubman thing. If you're going to blame Taubman, might as well blame Luhnow for getting Osuna.
W
AG
one small plus for JV...he can earn that full $33 MM in the state of Texas.

won't have to pay 25 days of California taxes and such
JohnnyTexAg1995
Just got called a troll by a Yankee fan on twitter, in the comment section of a chandler Rome post... oh the irony
mwm
I hope Dusty follows the Gardenhire example.
Mr.Bond
AG
mwm said:

I hope Dusty follows the Gardenhire example.

In our wettest dreams..... He ain't giving up that free money

Big Al 1992
AG
So how does this happen - last report was JV was throwing 75 pitches to live batters. Did he suffer more forearm tightness after? Did something really blow up? Or the day we fall a game below .500 with 9 games left did JV and/or his agent realize team wasn't going anywhere so no reason to rush back for playoffs but get the surgery done now and start rehab and recovery sooner.
Mr.Bond
AG
Claims it was a different injury

Gap
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'm not worried about starting pitching. Our system depth in starters is pretty good with Urquidy, Framber, Javier, Garcia.
We have Greinke for 1 more year after this at $35M for the season.

Beyond that we have options for the 3 (maybe),4,and 5 spots in the rotation. Now we are looking for the established top end of the rotation with the 1,2, and 3 (maybe).

That profile matches a lot of below average organizations and teams.
First Page Last Page
Page 509 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.