****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,632,118 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
agproducer said:

I missed the game tonight. From the looks of the score, I'm glad I didn't see it. What the hell happened?
Well, simply put, the Padres hit the ball really hard a lot of times. We on the other hand did not.
W
AG
thank goodness the hapless Rangers are still hapless.

haven't won a game in a week
W
AG
Brantley may be back in the lineup tomorrow.

but unfortunately that won't end the Toro experiment.

7 for 50...good grief.

it's going to be a killer to have him in the lineup vs. the A's next weekend
Ag_07
AG
Why not?

Yuli at 3B
Jones at 1B
Brantley at DH

You can't sit Jones. Guy has put up some good ABs and some nice swings. So far he passes eye test and looks to be pretty promising.

No way you sit him for Toro.
Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

Why not?

Yuli at 3B
Jones at 1B
Brantley at DH

You can't sit Jones. Guy has put up some good ABs and some nice swings. So far he passes eye test and looks to be pretty promising.

No way you sit him for Toro.

Yep, no need for anyone to ask again, "Where the f*** is Toro?!"
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

Brantley may be back in the lineup tomorrow.

but unfortunately that won't end the Toro experiment.

7 for 50...good grief.

it's going to be a killer to have him in the lineup vs. the A's next weekend
If they aren't go to play Brantley then taking him off the IL was a mistake and a waste of a roster spot and they should have brought someone else up who could play. Dusty should have had him in the lineup last night. If he's not smart enough to figure out how they need to find a manager who is.
BMX Bandit
you have a consistent pattern of nitpicking the dumbest things just to look for a reason to criticize the manager.

Who should they have activated instead of Brantley? He was available to pinch hit if hadn't been a blowout. That he didn't play last night is completely irrelevant.

And Click is the one managing the IL, not Baker.
bearkatag15
AG
Today is a get right day. Going 3-2 on the road trip after a 7-1 home stand is still legit. Padres are throwing a young lefty, Adrian Morejon. 0.0 ERA this year but had a 10.13 ERA last year. No one has seen him except Maldy who had 1 AB vs him. In his only game this year he went 3 innings in a start and threw 39 pitches.

Seems like a bullpen type game for SD.

Meanwhile we have Greinke. This should be a W.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
One point I also haven't seen mentioned on here is that Corpus was shut down for a positive test. So we might not have been able to activate any of those guys because we need multiple positive tests.

Just a thought.
bearkatag15
AG

Bring Pence back. He obviously still likes hitting at MMP
htxag09
AG
BMX Bandit said:

you have a consistent pattern of nitpicking the dumbest things just to look for a reason to criticize the manager.

Who should they have activated instead of Brantley? He was available to pinch hit if hadn't been a blowout. That he didn't play last night is completely irrelevant.

Agreed. If Brantley is one or two days out from being in the starting lineup I have 0 issue with bringing him up to ph if needed vs bringing someone else up for two games then just sending them back.
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Mathguy64
AG
BMX Bandit said:

I just don't think Baker is a very good manager and he continues to make WTF decisions.

He's brought Sneed and James into high leverage situations when they consistently fail to get outs. In fact they consistently walk batters like crazy. Last night was the first night Biagini and Sneed saw action in what should be their spots - mop up duty and eating innings in lost causes.

For the longest time he left his best hitter sitting in the 6 spot, when he had 6 other guys below .200 around him. The other night he left one of his better hitters sitting on the bench in favor of leaving Toro to hit.

Yesterday playing Brantley wouldn't have made any difference. That game was lost before the second inning even got warmed up. But if he's healthy enough to come off the IL and be on the roster, it seems to make no sense why he would not be in the lineup. That decision isn't on Click. That's on the manager to get him in the game.
BMX Bandit
I think Baker's lineup decisions are complete head scratchers. Being upset that Bradley didn't play in the game first day back from IL is just looking for something to complain about

Brantley coming off coincided with James going on. There's really no one else that could plug-in there to play. So if he's back a couple days early, it's not going to make one iota of difference for anything
agproducer
AG
bearkatag15 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Pence would fill the DH spot and could fill the void left by Alvarez. I don't care if he had struggled this year. His experience and career speaks for themselves. He is definitely an upgrade from Toro.
Deluxe
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Today is a get right day. Going 3-2 on the road trip after a 7-1 home stand is still legit. Padres are throwing a young lefty, Adrian Morejon. 0.0 ERA this year but had a 10.13 ERA last year. No one has seen him except Maldy who had 1 AB vs him. In his only game this year he went 3 innings in a start and threw 39 pitches.

Seems like a bullpen type game for SD.

Meanwhile we have Greinke. This should be a W.

Yep. Need Greinke to be our stopper this year.
tjack16
AG
I'd be down for Pence. He could play LF every now and then to give Brantley a break, or play DH
Mathguy64
AG
Fair enough.
Mathguy64
AG
Pence is slashing .096/.161/.250 in 17 games. He hit a HR against us and that's it. And that appears to be a rather pedestrian outcome after yesterday.
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Pence is slashing .096/.161/.250 in 17 games. He hit a HR against us and that's it. And that appears to be a rather pedestrian outcome after yesterday.

17 games is still a really small sample size. He was pretty good last year. I'd rather have him up in a clutch situation than Toro
agproducer
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Even with the .096 average this year, he is still a .279 career hitter with OPS of .794.

To me, the performance indicates a slump. His OPS was .910 last year. He's worth the risk.
W
AG
it's possible that the plan at this point is just to make the playoffs and not worry about catching the A's.

Dusty has been slow to make lineup changes and with a 60-game schedule that can be costly
W
AG
wonder if a 7-inning doubleheader is in the Astros' future this week with Laura drifting further west
bearkatag15
AG
redline248
AG
Let's debate having Correa bat 3rd vs 4th. Cuz I don't think I'm down with Brantley hitting 6th.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07
AG
I'm not down Toro playing over Jones.

That's asinine, boneheaded and unjustifiable.
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

Hey Taylor congrats on the first big league Homerun... your reward, the bench
agdaddy04
AG
Yep with the potential for Jones, Toro should be riding the bench permanently
JABQ04
AG
tjack16 said:

Ag_07 said:

Hey Taylor congrats on the first big league Homerun... your reward, the bench

Dusty channeling his inner AJ. Get something going and then the bench
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beat40
agdaddy04 said:

Maybe they don't feel Yuli will play 3B well enough to do it.
agdaddy04
AG
That was his natural position wasn't it?
Harry Dunne
Beat40 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Maybe they don't feel Yuli will play 3B well enough to do it.
I doubt this is the case. He started 36 games at 3b last season and started at least a half dozen games a year even when we had Marwin and other options. I wouldn't say he was a gold glover over there, but neither is Toro and he did fine.
Harry Dunne
tjack16 said:

Mathguy64 said:

17 games is still a really small sample size. He was pretty good last year. I'd rather have him up in a clutch situation than Toro
No doubt about it.

Someone posted his career and last year's numbers - this is a slump. The Giants let him go because they are a last place team that needs to be giving ABs to guys who are in their future plans, not letting 37 year-olds play their way out of slumps.

It couldn't hurt to give him a shot.
First Page Last Page
Page 377 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.